Best Sound organisation ?

Best Sound organisation ?
« on: March 04, 2018, 03:37:49 AM »
Hi all

IN your opinion what is the best sound organisation  ? i am thinking on putting together Lead sounds , then Pad Sounds etc... so i can exactly know where are my sound when playing live are working in studio.

How do you do to be very efficient ?

thanks

Rob

joesh

Re: Best Sound organisation ?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 11:13:11 PM »
What I'd be interested to know is how to organise your sounds (patches). I've been thinking about changing all the sounds around, but first would love a full list of the factory ones - so I can write out the different groups (and try some I've missed). I know one can do anything one wants in the U section, but has anyone got any tips on organising and changing the places of each sound - some can quite frankly be happily wiped in my case.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 10:45:24 AM »
The list of factory patches is available at:
https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Prophet-Rev2-Factory-Presets-List.pdf?x98188

The Prophet '08 has a similar list, which I used to make a similar spreadsheet in Excel so that I can enter and edit the names of my patches. I tried to upload the file, but it didn't upload. So I'll describe it briefly.

One change is that I put the second bank to the right of the first bank... If I have to do patch changes in a song, I want to switch between them with the bank knob rather than the program knob. (I probably should adjust my spread sheet to horizontal so that all four of the User Banks are next to each other.) Another change is that I added category names on the left side. The first group is the group of patches that I am actively working with; I call this one Set, since it usually reflects the patches of our set list. Other patch group titles I use are: Leads, Horns, Pads, Strings, Analog Synth, Prophet 5, Moog, Songs, etc. I even have some groups for certain bands (e.g., Pink Floyd, ELP, The Who) since I have several patches for each. I also label patches that I don't like with a question mark (?) so that I know which patches I can overwrite.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:50:41 AM by Jason »

joesh

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 05:54:53 AM »
Hi Jason, thanks, for some reason I didn't get a notification that you'd replied. I'm going to take a look at the link and get back to you. I like the idea about changing the bank/program sounds an interesting idea.

thanks.

joesh

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 08:07:48 AM »
Hi again Jason, I have to say I'm not too sure what you mean when you explain you put (ex) the second bank to the right of the first, etc. Maybe you could explain again?

Secondly, is there a way to change around all the banks (maybe via a computer) constantly doing 'write' save etc. This is fine for editing, but moving/reordering all these patches is going to take ages surely?

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 08:40:29 PM »
Hi again Jason, I have to say I'm not too sure what you mean when you explain you put (ex) the second bank to the right of the first, etc. Maybe you could explain again?

Secondly, is there a way to change around all the banks (maybe via a computer) constantly doing 'write' save etc. This is fine for editing, but moving/reordering all these patches is going to take ages surely?
I'm guessing you're looking for one of the VSTs that offer patch management:

http://www.soundtower.com/rev2/page.html
http://codeknobs.com/products.php?id=7

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 08:17:54 AM »
you put (ex) the second bank to the right of the first, etc.

I'll try to attach a picture of how I organize them (since I wasn't able to attach the excel document). I've been moving my patches around this week, and so my list is a little up in the air at the moment. That's why there are some blanks, etc. I can fit all of the U1-U4 banks onto four pieces of paper. I then make notes on them as I change things and then every once in a while, I'll print out new ones.

A beta version of a free patch management option is available at Laser Mammoth, but I've never used it.

https://f0f7.net/fe/#/SysexLibrarian/DSIProphetRev2

joesh

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 11:12:10 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Any opinions over the two 'organiser' - soundtower and codeKnobs?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:15:10 AM by joesh »