Voice Allocation ?

LeVo

Voice Allocation ?
« on: January 22, 2016, 06:37:11 AM »
Hi

Thought I'd ask this here as the team will certainly be busy at namm with there new baby. :o

Loving my prophet 6 a lot but there's a tiny niggle in what seems to be Audable clicks when voice cards are triggered?!

If you press and release 1 note with a fully sustaining sound that has long attack and open filters then release and press a second key before the last has become silent (easier done than said ha) you hear a dull click as the new voice gets triggered....

Normal behaviour? Just wanted to check so I can learn to ignore it. Guess I'm one of those guys that gets easily distracted by such things. :)

Thanks

Re: Voice Allocation ?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 10:51:51 AM »
Is it the envelopes? Is it still there if you increase the attack of both filters?

LeVo

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 12:03:48 PM »
Hi

Concluded what it is tonight. (I think :P)

I was initially thinking it was something to do with the pulse wave's cycles resetting with new voices as I realised it was only happening with pulse, but Basically the lfo in sync mode restarts at every new note.... So if for eg your patch has a (nice soft triangle) PW modulated wave the restart creates a click/pop on the new note, mostly Audable with long attacks. (Any other shape pops as it automatically restarts)

The way I've found to avoid it (with triangle so it's a soft modulation) is turning off sync or holding the next note before you release (makes no diff to the other shapes as they all have abrupt changes)

So whilst I'm buzzed I realised my problem, it would be sweet to have some attenuation or something to help with the *clicky/pop effect the lfo has on pulse waves....* I understand it happens with abrupt changes but it would be great to be able to soften the effect somehow.... The minimum LFO amount is quite heavy imo so the effects are immediately Audable !!

Now I know what it is tho (thanks for all the helpful suggestions) I can avoid it (with an un synced triangle)

Cheers x

* Edited my explanation slightly
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 12:34:08 PM by LeVo »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 07:20:07 AM »
This is typical behavior for DSI synthesizers.  The Prophet '08 and Poly Evolver behave in the same way.  By restarting the LFO with each key strike, you often get an annoying click, especially in the case of pulse width modulation.  The best way to resolve it is by eliminating the Key Sync in the LFO.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:48:19 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LeVo

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »
Hi

I figured that out (about sync) but didn't realise it's jus DSIs style.... Shame there's no way around it (with the other shapes) as noisey modulation is pretty much a no go for me. I'll live tho. :)

Thanks for your reply.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:00:36 PM by LeVo »