Octave Range Capped at C7?

Octave Range Capped at C7?
« on: February 25, 2018, 12:20:27 AM »
I noticed each oscillator has a range up to C10, but after C7 (or C7#) the pitch and timbre are identical all the way up to C10. It's not just my hearing, I can hear pitches higher than that - so why does each oscillator go up to C10 if there's no difference in the sound from C7 up to C10?

Re: Octave Range Capped at C7?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 02:20:48 PM »
If you recall the init patch and hold down the first note on the keyboard (C0) and sweep the Osc 1 Freq knob from full left (C0) to full right (C10) you'll hear all octaves. (from 8 Hz to 8 KHz)
And I assure you that looking at the output signal on an oscilloscope, the waveform remains almost unchanged when different waveforms are selected sweeping through the full frequency range (with only very high harmonics being left out nearing the top most frequencies).

The human ear/brain is rather limited in its ability to distinguish different waveforms (or timbres) passed a certain high frequency range. It's the nature of human hearing. But an oscilloscope is not, and it shows exactly what the audio signal is.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:23:20 PM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340