NAMM 2016 conclusions

Sacred Synthesis

Re: NAMM 2016 conclusions
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 09:52:59 PM »
Words of wisdom, Sacred Synthesis.

I'm still somehow baffled by the OB-6, though. Mainly because if I were Dave, I'd be concerned about whether this release will affect Prophet-6 sales. Sonically, they're totally different instruments, sure. But at the same time two instruments have never been that close in the DSI/Sequential catalog - at least not in terms of features. That aspect is probably what's most unexpected to me.

I do agree that we are probably going to see something else before the next Winter NAMM takes place. For quite a few people (myself included) I truly hope that it's going to be a bit more affordable than the recent products.

Oh, the OB-6 will definitely take a bite out of Prophet 6 sales.  I thought that right away.  (And that's why Dave needs you to buy a Prophet 6 as soon as possible!)  The two instruments are practically mirror images of each other.  It's obvious the same physical chassis was used.

Dave has obviously shifted to mid to high-end keyboard synthesizers with complimentary modules.  That's a change for DSI for certain.  It's anybody's guess whether or not he'll offer another individual instrument in small affordable module form.  I suspect the difference is due to company growth.  When he was alone, he produced the Evolver Desktop, and when he later had just a few employees, he developed the Mopho, beginning with the module (and obviously extracted from the P'08).  Now he's nearly got a medium-sized company for himself, and I'd say with all those brains wondering around the office, the ideas are flowing.  This probably tends towards the development of larger more sophisticated instruments. 

I don't know - has Dave moved on from those little comparatively inexpensive modules?  I hope not.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 12:05:36 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 09:57:56 PM »
I hope not completely. It can also be a good challange to create something intriguing, but yet affordable (see Evolver Desktop).

chysn

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 04:27:28 AM »
"Don't cannibalize your own products" was conventional wisdom in business for such a long time that people have internalized it. But among other things, the OB-6 shows that Dave Smith keeps up with his business theory, which now holds that cannibalizing your own products is actually the right thing to do, as doing so can reach new markets (or, probably in the case of synths, new market niches). It doesn't matter to DSI that the OB-6 might cut into Prophet 6 sales, as long as they anticipate the demand and manage the inventory properly for each instrument. On the contrary, it's a pretty brilliant move.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

chysn

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2016, 04:38:35 AM »
I don't know - has Dave moved on from those little modules?

My guess (and, disclaimer, this is only a crazy guess) is that we haven't seen inexpensive stuff from DSI for a while because they're doing due diligence and/or negotiation with one or more offshore manufacturers. They can afford to build the "jewels" in the U.S.A.; but now that the analog market is blowing up, it's probably really hard to be price-competitive by manufacturing, say, the Mopho brick in the U.S.A.

So (still in guess mode) we'll see new mid-priced instruments from DSI at some point, but they'll be made in China or Malaysia, etc.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2016, 12:34:19 PM »
Is Dave's strategy genius or is it whim?  I don't know, but it sure seems to be working.  He seems to be the right guy doing the right thing at the right time.

When I began to consider getting back into synthesis seven years ago, I had no choice but to start out cold.  I didn't know a thing about modern instruments and what was available, or even what companies were still in business.  So, I searched online for months and became totally frustrated by what I found - mostly bland looking keyboards with little character and minimal parameters.  But three instruments stood out - the Voyager, the Poly Evolver Keyboard, and the Prophet '08.

Since then, the synthesizer market has exploded with instruments galore - one after another that I would be thrilled to have.  This winter's NAMM has added yet another cluster of pearls.  For whatever reasons, the synthesizer domain is headed in the very direction I would like it to.  I now see so many fine-sounding, parameter-ridden, wood-cheeked, and character-full instruments that could meet my musical interests for years to come, so that now the frustration comes from trying to choose between them all!  I like what I already have, and I like what I see coming out. 

I don't know if we're in the midst of a short-lived analog revival that might begin to fade in a few more years.  I suppose it's bound to reach a saturation point.  But it's also possible that there's something deeper to it, that serious musicians are finding these instruments far more satisfying to play and program than software in a little box controlled by a generic MIDI keyboard and a work-related computer screen.  I'm just as glad as can be to have all these beautiful new analog instruments available, just when I needed them.  Thanks, Dave (and Tom)!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:45:44 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2016, 05:16:48 PM »
"Don't cannibalize your own products" was conventional wisdom in business for such a long time that people have internalized it. But among other things, the OB-6 shows that Dave Smith keeps up with his business theory, which now holds that cannibalizing your own products is actually the right thing to do, as doing so can reach new markets (or, probably in the case of synths, new market niches). It doesn't matter to DSI that the OB-6 might cut into Prophet 6 sales, as long as they anticipate the demand and manage the inventory properly for each instrument. On the contrary, it's a pretty brilliant move.

Good point, chysn. And yes, if the Prophet-6 was indeed the best selling instrument by DSI/Sequential, it wouldn't even matter if they couldn't sell them anymore as long as the OB-6 would do almost as good or even better. Because once an instrument is well received from its introduction on, the sales will peak in the first year anyway, i.e. when all is still new and fresh.

Steven Morris

• Steven Morris Music & Sound
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 02:31:57 PM »
Here's my experience in a nutshell.

Yamaha's booth (in a separate building from the rest of the show) was as my friendly succinctly put it, was more like a museum exhibit.

Roland's synth area was too loud to think as it seems to have been catering to DJ's. Their new modular stuff was fascinating on paper, but in reality it was just confusing as their modules, to me, seem very poorly labelled. I have some modular gear and got to check out a lot of modular stuff but have never felt so lost! In my opinion, the coolest thing they showed was their V-Accordion, which I was told has polyphonic aftertouch and can control all kinds of synth sounds at once (internal or external). Much to my surprise, it's something that's been around for over 10 years!! The fact that you can split the buttons, play something from the keyboard (w/ velocity and aftertouch) and also play a different patch with the bellows was fascinating to me. Talk about potential!

Korg's new synth seems very interesting. It seems like it might be something that could replace my MS2000... and with a smaller footprint as well! However, I'm not the biggest fan of the Volca's because frankly the form factor is TOO small for my taste. I really do like FM and find it ironic that even though it is that small, it still offers more controls than most of the classic Yamaha FM synths.

DSI's Prophet 6 and OB-6 are really cool. I'm not sure which I like better... the OB-6 seems to have a really good handle on choir-like sounds. The filters are really sharp and offer a lot of the sounds I like to use my MS2000 for. Incidentally, playing with the Tempests on display made me realize that the pots and buttons on mine have definitely been worn in ;).

Moog, as everyone has pointed out, didn't have anything new, but they easily had the most appealing looking booth!

As far as new modular goes, (as usual) I liked Intellijel the most. The Rainmaker is insanely cool if not for its KS capabilities alone. I also really enjoyed Doepfer's Clock Multiplier/Ratcheting module-- but I guess that's been available for a little while now.

Arturia's Matrixbrute was the most impressive looking new synth by far. It seems as though there are some bugs that need to be worked out. I like the dual filters, but think that when setting up a patch, it should default to one of them instead of making the user select one... as non selection will not allow sound to get to the outputs. The matrix itself is a great idea as it is much cleaner than a bunch of patch cables. I'm really interested in how it functions as a sequencer. However, it is quite big and I think I get lost a little easily in it!

I was hoping to see more synthesizer controllers, as well as more hardware synthesizers that could take advantage of them. What I did see that interested me was the Linnstrument, Fishman Triple Play, the Roli Seaboard Rise, and the Zoom ARQ. KMI's keyboard wasn't nearly as nice as Roli's, which was quite a sensual (LOL) experience. Ultimately, the shortcoming of those types of controllers, however, is the fact that the resolution of the X, Y, and Z axes change depending on whether you are playing a 'white' or 'black' key. This is why I like the Linnstrument the best, although the Seaboard definitely feels really cool. KMI also had a prototype drum pad that supposedly might have CV available. I think a multi-dimensional, low cost drum pad with CV is long overdue! Zoom's ARQ has some really interesting potential, but there are a few things about it that confuse me, especially the fact that the ratcheting (kind of like the Tempest's Roll) feature is only available via the base unit and not via the ring portion. The accelerometer works really well. The Jamstik also had an accelerometer, but it left a lot to be desired due to the low fret count as well as the fact that it was not responsive at all (at least to my playing!). Conversely, the Fishman Triple Play pickup seems ideal for me, a guitar player, because I can just attach it to my existing guitars and have at it. I thought the fact that it uses Bluetooth was icing on the cake. My only problem with it has to do with the fact that to use it to control external synthesizers, an extra $200 unit has to be purchased, nearly doubling its cost! I thought that some kind of basic wind controller, like the kind that Yamaha used to make (that could be connected to one's instrument of choice, would've been nice. Again, Roland's V-Accordion was, next to the Linnstrument and Roli Seaboard Rise, the most impressive synth controller!

I also naively expected some kind of CV or synth-controlled lighting this year. The closest thing to it was Teenage Engineering's OP-Z and Zoom's ARQ. The OP-Z's 'video synthesizer' I thought was really cool. My biggest concern is that if the user is not given enough creativity as far as the video synthesizer portion of it goes, then it will ultimately be a gimmick. As for the Zoom, while other people have said it looks gimmicky, I think it has a lot of potential for YouTubers and DJ's. I'm very interested in it!

I'm sure there's a bunch that I overlooked, but that is my general impression of this year's NAMM.

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016, 03:37:43 AM »
Speaking of OB-6 eating prophet-6 sales, even if that happened, the total sales of both combined will be bigger than that of prophet-6 alone, so it'll be no problem for DSI.

I also agree that Zoom's new ARQ seems very intriguing, so free from any other conventional musical instrument design.
I hope to get a chance to play both the OB-6 and the ARQ with its ring controller soon.
prophet 12, PRO2, mono evolver KB, Hikari Duo, Cobalt5S, Hydrasynth Explorer, microFreak, 0-Coast, 0-CTRL, ensoniq VFX-SD, Kurzweil PC361, Roland V-Synth, SH-4d, JD-XA, TB-3, A-50, KORG 800DV, wavestate, modwave, kaossilator 2, volca nubass/modular, SQ-1, iOS/Mac

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 04:53:09 AM »
@Steven:

Concerning the Tripleplay these work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenton-Electronics-MIDI-USB-Host-INTERFACE-DEMO-PERFECT-CIRCUIT-/291664073096?hash=item43e8889188:g:rVoAAOSw9N1Vt9lJ

You can pick them up cheaper than an Iconnectmidi4 that also works, and I have some idea maybe that the iconnectmidi1 may work, you can pick these up very cheaply. Worth a check on the inter web first though...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 06:30:04 AM »
Speaking of OB-6 eating prophet-6 sales, even if that happened, the total sales of both combined will be bigger than that of prophet-6 alone, so it'll be no problem for DSI.

Unless Tom Oberheim is getting a cut, which must be the case.

Steven Morris

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 09:49:01 AM »
@Steven:

Concerning the Tripleplay these work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenton-Electronics-MIDI-USB-Host-INTERFACE-DEMO-PERFECT-CIRCUIT-/291664073096?hash=item43e8889188:g:rVoAAOSw9N1Vt9lJ

You can pick them up cheaper than an Iconnectmidi4 that also works, and I have some idea maybe that the iconnectmidi1 may work, you can pick these up very cheaply. Worth a check on the inter web first though...

Awesome info :). Thank you very much-- that lowers the cost of the system quite a bit!

I'd love to try the Triple Play with the Tempest. I'm not sure, but I get the feeling that having individual control of each note requires 6 independent MIDI channels though... I really hope that someday the Tempest could do that.

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 10:05:28 AM »
Yep, the tempest is no good.

I have put in a request for 6 channels many years ago but it hasn't happened yet!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 07:56:23 PM »
One unexpected NAMM outcome is that Tom Oberheim is back on the synthesist's map.  I realize that his SEMs and Two-Voice Pro have their devotees, but the OB-6 has put him in the limelight to a much greater degree.  I'm hoping that there's much more to come from him.

I had been thinking about Oberheim synthesizers and admiring their distinctive filter sound for about a year.  Although I'd be thrilled to get a Two-Voice Pro, I couldn't afford the $3,500 price tag for what is essentialy a monophonic instrument with a minimal length keyboard.  However, the appearance of the OB-6 has convinced me that the Oberheim sound is just what I've been hoping for.  But, the keyboard length is definitely an issue.

Tom is saying that his new SEM Plus Module design will form the basis of his future instruments.  This probably refers to his Marion Systems products, but perhaps it could also result in another DSI collaboration.  Anyway, Oberheim is back, and I hope to God that this results in a full-sized Oberheim eight-voice instrument.  Nothing less will satisfy.

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2024, 09:54:16 AM »
I miss all the chatter we used to have this time of the year about NAMM.  Wondering if anyone saw something they really like.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2024, 11:03:18 AM »
I miss all the chatter we used to have this time of the year about NAMM.  Wondering if anyone saw something they really like.

I've always been a bit oblivious about NAMM etc, but it's been a treat drifting thought this thread in all its 2016 P6 vs OB6 glory! I miss Sacred Synthesis and Razmo, right?

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2024, 11:41:19 AM »

Sadly the day I sold my P6, my PX bricked and sent me into a deep funk mentally. I was excited about the Korg Wavestate, Modwave, OPSix Desktop modules but now I’m actually considering selling all my gear and just moving on to another hobby. I’ve already lost 3 soundtrack gigs I was using the PX on. Even had to pay back the deposits.

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2024, 12:29:08 PM »

Sadly the day I sold my P6, my PX bricked and sent me into a deep funk mentally. I was excited about the Korg Wavestate, Modwave, OPSix Desktop modules but now I’m actually considering selling all my gear and just moving on to another hobby. I’ve already lost 3 soundtrack gigs I was using the PX on. Even had to pay back the deposits.

No chance of renting one?

chysn

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2024, 12:41:34 PM »
I've always been a bit oblivious about NAMM etc, but it's been a treat drifting thought this thread in all its 2016 P6 vs OB6 glory! I miss Sacred Synthesis and Razmo, right?

No doubt. R.I.P. Raz, but I sort of expected Sacred Synthesis to be back by now. He's always come back before.

Yamaha had a new thing I found interesting, some sort of OP-1 competitor, of which there aren't nearly enough.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2024, 12:44:20 PM »

No chance of renting one?

Nope. Sold all my guitars too. My guitars are gone, my Prophets are gone and my dad’s gone.

So I’ve been on a music fasting for the past few days. Haven’t actively listened to a single piece of music at all. Just ASMR sounds and truth be told, I’m actually enjoying it. I can mentally focus on things more clearly and suddenly the pressure of doing anything musically creative is gone. I was at the studio and I didn’t feel like I had to rush to record anything. I just spent the day with my dogs and felt so at ease.

Will the PX get repaired? Hopefully. But if it doesn’t, I actually feel I can just trash it, sell my drum machines and be mentally okay with the decision to move on to something else like writing.

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2024, 04:16:43 PM »

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Wishing you all the best.