iConnectivity mio10 good for sysex and DSI synths?

buchlabum

• west coast synthesis please...
iConnectivity mio10 good for sysex and DSI synths?
« on: February 20, 2018, 12:57:07 AM »
I'm starting to do some research into midi interfaces, especially ones that can work standalone as a midi matrix.  I have an old MAudio Midisport, but the software is no longer supported, so I wanted something new to work with the new OSes.

Anyone using a iConnectivity mio10?  Looks like it could be the winner, but I'd like confirmation in it working well for sysex transfers. 

Re: iConnectivity mio10 good for sysex and DSI synths?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 08:00:03 AM »
I'm starting to do some research into midi interfaces, especially ones that can work standalone as a midi matrix.  I have an old MAudio Midisport, but the software is no longer supported, so I wanted something new to work with the new OSes.

Anyone using a iConnectivity mio10?  Looks like it could be the winner, but I'd like confirmation in it working well for sysex transfers.

I use a iConnectMIDI4+ here: no problems, rock solid. It also functions as an iOS audio bridge into my main DAW (Logic Pro X), which is quite handy for offboarding iOS audio plugins onto an iPad.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:01:40 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

buchlabum

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 09:31:18 PM »
I use a iConnectMIDI4+ here: no problems, rock solid. It also functions as an iOS audio bridge into my main DAW (Logic Pro X), which is quite handy for offboarding iOS audio plugins onto an iPad.

Cool.  Good to know.  My legacy computer that I used to use with the midisport is about to die, and I'm tired of maintaining it.  Midi interfaces shouldn't have their own computer just to use it.  I think if the iconnectMIDI4+ works, so should the Mio.  Thanks, gonna go order it now.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 08:24:08 PM »

I use the MIO10's little brother the MIO4 (I deem routers as male). Best buy for a long time. Does sysex fine. Once you have set up all your rules it can be disconnected from the computer and used in standalone.  I'm tempted to get a MIO10 but I think I'll be getting a 2nd MIO4 instead.  The MIDI over USB hub works great and will send your sysex from your computer with no issues. Their support team is wonderful, they have bent over backwards for me, but not that it was to address any issue with the box, but in getting me onto their forum (some silly issues trying to register that had the company managing director talking to me directly and working towards solving the issue!)  To avoid me continuing to rant, let's just say I can't say a single bad thing about them or their products.

buchlabum

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 11:34:31 PM »
I got the mio10 today.  Got home, set it up. Did a full sysex dump from the OB-6.  Perfect.  I can now retire my midisport 8x8.  The extra channels and features and best of all, OS compatability, is going to be great.  One device per i/o, no more daisychaining and scratching my head.  Keeping a legacy machine, which is also about to die.  Back on solid midi ground.

Thanks for the feedback all.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 09:52:41 PM »
I have a Motu Micro Express (http://motu.com/products/midi/micro_usb). It works but it is a bit dated. I need to reset it now and then for my Mac to recognise it. It is a half width unit and works standalone without a computer (you will need to power it via USB though). Sysex works, but for firmware updates I don't take the risk and make a direct computer-instrument link.