Anticipation

Re: Anticipation
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 11:27:53 AM »
i'd be more worried about the lack of modulation rather then the lack of keys.

The modulation options pretty much correspond to those of the Prophet-6 (if one ignores the filter specific destinations) with the exception of the fact that you can choose whether you'd like to modulate the pulsewidth of oscillator 1, oscillator 2, or that of both in the LFO section. I really wish that this would have been possible with Prophet-6 already.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 11:30:40 AM »
I'm disappointed by the mere four-octave keyboard length too.  Any instrument with less than five octaves would be relegated in my set up to either a left hand or a right hand status; it could not be a main instrument directly in front of me.  So, there are real practical consequences for omitting an octave.

I have no idea how much it would cost to add another octave and the necessary panel, but it would obviously push the OB-6 over $3,000.  It seems as if this is the cut-off point for DSI.  Just a guess.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 11:35:49 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 01:24:40 PM »
i'd be more worried about the lack of modulation rather then the lack of keys.

The modulation options pretty much correspond to those of the Prophet-6 (if one ignores the filter specific destinations) with the exception of the fact that you can choose whether you'd like to modulate the pulsewidth of oscillator 1, oscillator 2, or that of both in the LFO section. I really wish that this would have been possible with Prophet-6 already.

The reason i didn't get the P6 in the end.

eXode

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 01:53:29 PM »
I'm really tempted by the OB-6, however I am weighing pro's and con's on getting it as a keyboard or waiting to see if there will be a module version.

I'm really happy with my 5 octave master keyboard, it plays great and it has polyphonic aftertouch/pressure and I'd have to drop it due to lack of space, if I were to get the OB-6 keyboard. Also, from what I understand the Prophet 08 and Prophet-6 responds to polyphonic aftertouch. I guess the same will be true for the OB-6?

Although it's a very classic design I'm also a little disappointed that they didn't take the chance to put in an vibrato LFO in there, it's one of those things that annoys me a little with the Prophet-6 too. I understand that they're based on classic design but since the control signals are generated digitally anyway a simple vibrato LFO function shouldn't have been too hard to implement. But like the saying goes, you can't have everything. :)

However, I'm also considering getting an used P'08 desktop as they offer incredible value for money (they often go for less than $1000 USD here). Decisions, decisions.

Shaw

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 03:16:13 PM »
Quote from: Paul Dither link=topic=236.msg2461#msg2461
I created a table based on the specs.
Thanks for the table.  Well done!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 06:50:08 PM »
Although it's a very classic design I'm also a little disappointed that they didn't take the chance to put in an vibrato LFO in there, it's one of those things that annoys me a little with the Prophet-6 too. I understand that they're based on classic design but since the control signals are generated digitally anyway a simple vibrato LFO function shouldn't have been too hard to implement. But like the saying goes, you can't have everything. :)

However, I'm also considering getting an used P'08 desktop as they offer incredible value for money (they often go for less than $1000 USD here). Decisions, decisions.

I've been wishing this as well.  A vibrato-dedicated LFO would solve a lot of difficult programming decisions and greatly improve the string patch potential, since you could have simultaneous vibrato and PWM at different rates and depths.

At the new and used prices the Prophet '08 can now be had, it's an amazing deal.  In spite of the newer DSI designs, the P'08 is still a superb synthesizer.

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2016, 06:59:27 PM »
From what I've heard so far in the existing demos, I have to say though, that it almost sounds like the perfect synth for you, Sacred Synthesis. Even if it doesn't get any other price, it'll certainly get the lushness award.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2016, 07:12:46 PM »
The OB-6?  Yes, I'd say so.  As you know from our back and forths, I was already envisioning using one or two SEMs in conjunction with either a Pro 2 or a Prophet 6.  I've never even touched an Oberheim synthesizer, but I've been admiring them for years through demos.  So, this new instrument is a happy surprise, alright.  But I still would have to achieve a stereo field with it, so the vision is still in the making.

And what about you, Paul?  Have you made the mental switch from Prophet 6 to OB-6?

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2016, 07:28:59 PM »
The OB-6?  Yes, I'd say so.  As you know from our back and forths, I was already envisioning using one or two SEMs in conjunction with either a Pro 2 or a Prophet 6.  I've never even touched an Oberheim synthesizer, but I've been admiring them for years through demos.  So, this new instrument is a happy surprise, alright.  But I still would have to achieve a stereo field with it, so the vision is still in the making.

Are you disappointed with the pan mode?

And what about you, Paul?  Have you made the mental switch from Prophet 6 to OB-6?

That's not easy. I mean it sounds super great and everything, but I may be rather a Sequential guy, dunno. Although it's not as simple as that. Honestly, I think that both - the Prophet-6 and the OB-6 - would probably be a really, really strong team, but that's definitely not affordable for me. I'm also thinking, since I have the Pro 2, I already got a bit of that Oberheim taste in the form of its state-variable filter (I'm not 100% sure whether it's exactly the same design). The other thought is that I'm not sure whether the OB-6 would come first for me in terms of style. I definitely like its sound and do agree that it even comes across more immediate compared to what usually comes across in the Prophet-6 demos. If I would be 90% into ambient it wouldn't be a question. But I'm not and in some way the Prophet-6 seems to be more universal in terms of the sonic territory it's able to cover. I have to admit though that this is probably an unfair assumption based on the sounds that are mostly prominent in the demos so far and I'm not implying that the OB-6 might be a sort of one-trick-pony. As with the Prophet-6 it's probably best to try it out in person.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 07:40:24 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2016, 08:13:16 PM »
I'm not entirely sure what the OB-6 offers in terms of a stereo field.  I have no use for stereo distortion, and I generally don't like the sound of chorus or flange on a synthesizer.  I only use reverb and delay.  Nor is panning of any use to me.  I need the whole sound to be stereo and bi-timbral without a loss of voices, and that requires two independent units, no matter what instrument we're talking about. 

Regarding the P6 - OB-6 dilemma, I wouldn't abandon the former if that's the instrument that strikes you.  I'd say the Oberheim sound is - well, not exactly a one trick pony - but certainly more selective in its uses because it's so distinctive in tonal character.  The Prophet 6 impresses me as being more flexible - not as distinctive in its character, and therefore, better able to cover many different applications.  So I can certainly see how you could prefer it to the OB-6. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 08:28:53 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2016, 08:20:20 PM »
I'm not entirely sure what the OB-6 offers in terms of a stereo field.  I have no use for stereo distortion, and I generally don't like the sound of chorus or flange on a synthesizer.  I only use reverb and delay.  Nor is panning of any use to me.  I need the whole sound to be stereo and bi-timbral without a loss of voices, and that requires two independent units, no matter what instrument we're talking about.

Okay, if you want the latter, then you really need two devices.

Regarding the P6 - OB-6 dilemma, I wouldn't abandon the former if that's the instrument that strikes you.  Judging only from what I've heard in demos over the years, I'd say the Oberheim sound is - well, not exactly a one trick pony - but certainly more selective in its uses because it's so distinctive in tonal character.  The Prophet 6 impresses me as being more flexible - not as distinctive in its character, and therefore, better able to cover many different applications.  So I can certainly see how you could prefer it to the OB-6.

Yeah, I think this pretty much sums it up. It's the flexibility that you mentioned that I see covered a bit more by the Prophet-6. The sonic identity of the OB-6 is stronger, or let's say more recognizable, which is precisely what makes me question whether it should be the only poly synth in a setup. And I mean the latter in the most non-judgemental way.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 08:31:19 PM »
I think the fabulously flexible Pro 2 would combine nicely with either the  P6 or the OB-6.  But it seems clear to me you're a Prophet 6 guy.  If I've helped you at all, you owe me $200.  ;D

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 08:32:11 PM »
I think the fabulously flexible Pro 2 would combine nicely with either the very traditional sounding P6 or the OB-6.  But it seems clear to me you're a Prophet 6 guy.  If I've helped you at all, you owe me $200.  ;D

Haha, I tell you later.  ;)

Shaw

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 08:54:32 PM »
I'd say the Oberheim sound is - well, not exactly a one trick pony - but certainly more selective in its uses because it's so distinctive in tonal character. 

Absolutely... And DSI nailed the Oberheim tonal quality. I have the Prophet 12 and Pro 2.  When it was released, the Prophet 6 didn't strike me as a board that would expand upon the sonic capabilities I already had.  But the OB6... I can definitely see that as being a great addition to what I have.  Already preordered mine from Sweetwater!

Cheers
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 09:01:24 PM »
I would be happy to have that very distinctive Oberheim character, with all its limitations, and capitalize on it.  I would be happy to produce lots of music using only a small range of high-quality sounds.  I actually like the idea and wouldn't feel at all constrained by the fact.

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2016, 01:31:55 AM »
My 2 cents:

• The OB-6 sounds great from the first videos, but we need a like-for-like comparison to understand the real differences between the instruments. (Like the videos of the P6 vs P8 that one user made, the result of which was actually that he kept both instruments, having pushed the P8 to new limits
  • 4 or 5 octaves: I suspect DSI invested a lot of time to come up with the designs for the 4 octave box for the P6, it is great to see that they can use this platform now to churn out new instruments really quickly.
  • Dave "just does what he feels like" w.r.t. product launches, which is great, but it comes at a cost that it might confuse new buyers and cannibalise sales of products he has invested development time in. Great to have these options as a customer though. There is a similarity between boutique synth manufacturers and wineries: the wine maker wants to add more and more interesting blends, while the operations manager needs to keep his SKUs in check.
  • The battlefield of the synth market might be evolving: from features and/or modulation options might give way to sound quality comparison. I suspect we are going to get super premium amps soon, and the audiophile type debates that go with it  :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2016, 04:19:08 AM »
I cannot help but smile a bit, when I think of the OB-6 ... How much did Tom Oberheim do on this project anyway? ... If I'm right, this is just one of Dave marketing tricks, because the way the OB-6 looks, and the specs, then the only mark Tom has set on this, is the State Variable Filter, which Dave allready made for the Pro 2 .... so how much did Tom Oberheim participate with on this project, except for smacking his name on the machine, and being the father of the SVF?  :)

Clever marketing...

But nonetheless, this machine really do sound rather good... so good that I've decided to save up for one, and are allready halvway there... main reason is that I'm sick and tired of looking for good controller keyboards... almost none has the better Fatar keybeds, but the P6 and OB-6 should have one of the best, and they give me my minimum requirements for a main keyboard; 4 octaves.

Second reason is the sound... just sounds very lush, and I lack some multi mode filters in my rig... So this will cut it. So unless something goes horribly wrong, I'll be getting one in a couple of months.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2016, 06:44:00 AM »
I'm really happy with my 5 octave master keyboard, it plays great and it has polyphonic aftertouch/pressure...

Please tell me what you are using for a master keyboard that includes polyphonic aftertouch/pressure!?
Sequential P6; SCI Pro-One; Moog Minimoog Model D

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2016, 07:17:16 AM »
Just noticed, on row of switches, switch #9,on the location where on the P6 it says PolyMod, the OB6 has nothing written.

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2016, 08:41:55 AM »
Just noticed, on row of switches, switch #9,on the location where on the P6 it says PolyMod, the OB6 has nothing written.
On the P6 module that button says Poly Chain. It's not written on the P6 keyboard either.