Anticipation

Re: Anticipation
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2016, 07:50:17 PM »
I'm not sure. Certainly, 61 keys are more convenient and the loss of 12 keys would most likely be more obvious if the instrument allowed for more features, just like the Prophet '08 and the Prophet 12. But I don't really think that the 49 keys make the Prophet-6 or the OB-6 unusable for being the center of a rig.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2016, 08:05:04 PM »
I was careful to qualify my statement with, "for many of us".  There are quite a few complaints online about the keyboard size, and speaking for myself, using either synthesizer as a main keyboard is out of the question.  I might have made that OB-6 a central instrument, if only....

Three-thousand dollars is a hefty price for added color.  Another two or three hundred dollars for two more voices, another octave of keys, and bi-timbrality to transform either instrument into a full-sized one would be worth it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:19:11 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2016, 08:06:35 PM »
I plan to mount it above my PO8 and midi  cable them together.  Limited keys wont be an issue in a studio setting in such case.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2016, 08:08:06 PM »
Isn't that a huge waste?  Why not wait to see if there will be a module?

« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2016, 08:46:08 PM »
What I meant to say is: it is what it is now. There may be a module in the future, but I honestly can't see DSI releasing an 8-voice version with 61 keys anytime soon.

Also: If they would have made an 8-voice version with 61 keys that would have cost approx. $3,499, people would be more upset about the price now. There's always something.

It's like with music: you can't please everyone. Either the features are so convincing that you can forget about the limitations, or you have to invest in a really expensive workaround (= keyboard version + module for enhanced polyphony + a dedicated controller).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:52:55 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2016, 08:50:06 PM »
A module would solve the keyboard problem, but not the voice problem.  Surely DSI has another full-sized instrument up their sleeves.  If not these instruments, than another one.

« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2016, 08:53:33 PM »
Sorry, I edited my post in the meantime.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2016, 08:58:48 PM »
Also: If they would have made an 8-voice version with 61 keys that would have cost approx. $3,499, people would be more upset about the price now. There's always something.

Anyone who'd like a full-sized Oberheim from DSI realizes that the price would be on the extravagant side.  Then again, the price you gave above is the same as that of the Two-Voice Pro.   So, I think this would be reasonable.  Unless the unstated rules are that DSI will never cross $3,000 and the Prophet 12 must remain the flagship.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:03:29 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2016, 09:08:03 PM »
I'm not saying that there's a limit to their pricing, but the decisions have been made. And it's not like you don't read comments like "gosh, where am I getting three grand from right now?" - It's a higher priced instrument either way and depending on the focus of the reviewers, these comments have been made about the Prophet-6 or the Prophet 12 as well. Nevertheless, the philosophy behind the P-6 and - subsequently - the OB-6 was to create a highly portable performance instrument. In a studio that doesn't really matter as Soundquest already indicated. And as far as the live use goes: I've seen quite a few pics of a P-6 on top of either a workstation or a stage piano, which is exactly where the ancestors of these instruments used to sit.

« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2016, 09:15:32 PM »
And although instruments like the P-6 and the OB-6 are definitely on the expensive side, they are also much more affordable these days. If you want premium polyphony, you can still get a keyboard plus a module for less than what an OB-X or OB-8 used to cost back in the day (inflation rate considered). The good thing is at least that we have a huge palette to choose from these days. Who would have thought in the beginning of the noughties that there would be a homage to the Prophet-5 and a polyphonic Oberheim again? Not to mention what you can choose from when you're looking for analog mono synths.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2016, 09:17:23 PM »
All that you say is true, but there's also sense in finishing the job, in making an instrument that provides what are, for many of us, only standard practical necessities.  After all, the OB-6 is not a complex creature.  It offers just the basics.  So, finish with the basics.  Dave did it with the Prophet 12.  Why not do it again with an instrument that is so very different in sonic character?

Anyways, I hope DSI produces some full-sized analog instrument in the next year or so.  Maybe the replacement for the Prophet '08?

« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2016, 09:23:19 PM »
If you want VCOs and more complexity, then Modal Electronics may give us a hint of the costs. Their 008 is currently $4,995 - and only because the Dollar is strong. They seem to be doing well though. But I would also assume that most of their customers earn more than what you make with a regular dayjob.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2016, 09:28:33 PM »
I considered Modal long and hard, but such prices are not an option for me.  I think DSI is my limit.  But if an instrument covered the basics, I could sell things and replace them with it.  But I'm not willing to replace a Prophet '08 with an OB-6.  I guess the Prophet '08 is still the best synthesizer for me.

« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2016, 09:37:21 PM »
I considered Modal long and hard, but such prices are not an option for me.  I think DSI is my limit.  But if an instrument covered the basics, I could sell things and replace them with it.  But I'm not willing to replace a Prophet '08 with an OB-6.  I guess the Prophet '08 is still the best synthesizer for me.

You could still sacrifice one of your PEKs and would still be left with plenty of voices.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2016, 09:46:01 PM »
Yes, it's a PEK that's on the chopping block - whatever I decide to get.  I may still go for an OB-6.  It's just a lot to spend on an instrument that will be a one-hander in the set up and will be used quite a bit as a monophonic instrument.  It's still tempting to go with a Pro 2 supplemented with a SEM.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:49:13 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2016, 09:47:26 PM »
Yes, it's a PEK that's on the chopping block - whatever I decide to get.  I may still go for an OB-6.  It's just a lot to spend on an instrument that will be a one-hander in the set up.

Connect it to a PEK then and you'll have true Evolver meets Oberheim glory!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2016, 09:51:19 PM »
Oh, the odd combinations of voices.  Such problems....  ::)

« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2016, 09:52:03 PM »
So much for the anticipation…

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2016, 09:55:58 PM »
Believe me, my enthusiasm for the OB-6 hasn't faded.  I continue to be so impressed with its sound, in spite of the very limited assortment of videos.  I don't think I've been this impressed with a synthesizer in years, probably since I first realized the power of the Poly Evolver Keyboard.

« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2016, 01:22:28 AM »
I must say that I'm also loving what I'm hearing in the sound of the OB-6. Personally, I'm more wary of the 6 voice limitation than the keyboard length. I like sounds with long release times and I hit audible note stealing all the time with the P6. I've no doubt I would have the same issue with the OB-6. The P6 is nowhere near as useful as the P08 played with both hands. Those 2 extra voices make all the difference.

What I wish DSI would do is implement smart voice allocation on their 6 voice synths. My Jupiter 6 with Europa mod has this feature. Rather than round-robin voice allocation, it remembers the order in which voices were released. The next triggered voice is the one that was released first.