Anticipation

Re: Anticipation
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2016, 05:43:35 AM »

Anyone who'd like a full-sized Oberheim from DSI realizes that the price would be on the extravagant side.  Then again, the price you gave above is the same as that of the Two-Voice Pro.   So, I think this would be reasonable.  Unless the unstated rules are that DSI will never cross $3,000 and the Prophet 12 must remain the flagship.

Exactly. I would gladly pay the extra for one octave and 2 more voices.

« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2016, 05:47:48 AM »
Nevertheless, the philosophy behind the P-6 and - subsequently - the OB-6 was to create a highly portable performance instrument. In a studio that doesn't really matter as Soundquest already indicated. And as far as the live use goes: I've seen quite a few pics of a P-6 on top of either a workstation or a stage piano, which is exactly where the ancestors of these instruments used to sit.

How does portability even come into it if you need a workstation or a stage piano too? That is not a portable setup.
The portability angle is just marketing to side step the issue of the missing octave. My P08 is perfectly portable.
I have never bought a piece of equipment just because it was portable, especially not at this price :-)

« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2016, 05:51:52 AM »
Believe me, my enthusiasm for the OB-6 hasn't faded.  I continue to be so impressed with its sound, in spite of the very limited assortment of videos.  I don't think I've been this impressed with a synthesizer in years, probably since I first realized the power of the Poly Evolver Keyboard.

Yes, it sounds amazing. I really love the sound. Sonically, It was everything you would expect from this collboration.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2016, 07:53:17 AM »
A six-voice limitation means that basically you're left with playing triads with single or double basses, and with patches that have short release times.  That's still allows for a lot of music to be made.  But, for example, if you tend to play your arpeggios with your left hand using a patch with a long sustained piano-type release time (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6vGjl3Y18A), then you find yourself running out of the six voices very quickly, especially if you want the notes of one chord running into the notes of the next chord.  Then the manner in which you play the arpeggios suffers, in that you keep the choice of notes to a minimum - say, eliminating seconds, sixths, and sevenths.  It makes for a strong practical argument in favor of eight voices or more.  For such playing, the Prophet 12 looks very attractive.  Except for the price, I could see using the P12 just as a left-hand instrument.

I realize my preferences in these matters are generally not shared by others, but they are the reasons I'm always looking for the keyboard player's synthesizer.  For me, the most important part of a synthesizer is the keyboard; if that's not right - including the number of notes that can be simultaneously triggered - then all the rest is irrelevant.  This is why I'd be happy with a synthesizer that had no arpeggiator, no sequencer, no effects, nor a host of other features that I'd be willing to sacrifice, if only to maintain the fundamentals of synthesis together with high keyboard and voice count standards.  Again, I realize these are unpopular views among synthesists, but such happen to be my very real needs, so I put in a word for them.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:34:02 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2016, 08:00:45 AM »
But, for example, if you tend to play your arpeggios with your left hand using a patch with a long sustained piano-type release time, then you find yourself running out of the six voices very quickly.  Then the manner in which you play the arpeggios suffers, in that you keep the choice of notes to a minimum.  It makes for a strong practical argument in favor of eight voices or more.  For such playing, the Prophet 12 looks very attractive.

That's exactly right.... And mostly why I got a P12. 

But you could probably have a little bit of a workaround using the onboard delay and reverb.

Not exactly the same, but it gets you closer.

Cheers
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2016, 08:05:07 AM »
I know what you mean.  Reverb can make it seem as if a note's release is still ringing.  But what if you don't what much reverb on the sound?  There's just no compromising with some things.

F5D

« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2016, 12:06:03 PM »
Fantastic sounding synth, might get one, but the best part is that Dave has now the technology to build a huge flagship synth, a P12 killer with the analog voices of OB6 / Prophet 6. I would not mind if it was 8-voice "only". DSI is really going to right direction at the moment.

« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2016, 03:26:18 PM »
Fantastic sounding synth, might get one, but the best part is that Dave has now the technology to build a huge flagship synth, a P12 killer with the analog voices of OB6 / Prophet 6. I would not mind if it was 8-voice "only". DSI is really going to right direction at the moment.

+100

Dave and the Team at DSI need to pull a bigger one out of the hat. I know they are tracking fantastically well with their recent releases, and this new OB-6 is a stellar synth with an 'Oberheim sound' to die for [ or lose testicular bodily parts for ] no doubt! I'm sure anyone who decides to buy the OB-6 will be even more impressed when they are hands-on with it in the flesh connected in their own studios etc. Roll on March =).... 

But Dave it's time to put the icing on the cake - I believe DSI can turn it up, reach another level in the flagship department if they really want to. A 61 Key 8-voice treasure chest of polyphonic analog heaven - with more modulation options+flexibility [freedom] in the sound-sculpting arena. A Jupiter-8 nemesis / reincarnation that will bring musicians around the world an analog tool for the ages!  8)

Somewhere in the $4k USD pricing bracket, say in another 12 months give or take  ;)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2016, 04:06:50 PM »
Yes, this is just what I'd like to see as well.  The Prophet-6/OB-6 sized instruments are great for certain uses, but their compromised size keeps many of us from buying them.  A Module version is a partial solution, but the voice count is still limited.

DSI has developed and polished a new technology as of late, but it's been confined to instruments lacking full length keyboards and split and stack capabilities.  Now that folks have a few smaller instruments to choose from, let's get back to the larger Poly Evolver Keyboard/Prophet '08/Prophet 12 standard.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:25:05 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2016, 06:46:51 AM »
Let me state the obvious and say I'm anticipating an OB-6 Module.  It's reasonable to expect DSI will offer this, and I hope it's out soon this year. 

Shaw

« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2016, 05:10:21 PM »
Let me state the obvious and say I'm anticipating an OB-6 Module.  It's reasonable to expect DSI will offer this, and I hope it's out soon this year.

I'd say it's very probable that we will see a OB6 module.  Of the last 4 DSI releases, only the Pro2 was released as a module.  And I think many would make the point that the Pro2 platform is least amenable to a module.

Cheers!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2016, 03:58:33 AM »

I'd say it's very probable that we will see a OB6 module.  Of the last 4 DSI releases, only the Pro2 was released as a module.  And I think many would make the point that the Pro2 platform is least amenable to a module.

Cheers!

The Prophet 6 was also released as a module.

« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2016, 06:29:40 PM »
For everyone who prefers visuals, here's an alternative comparison of the Prophet-6 and the OB-6.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2016, 08:12:32 PM »
Hmmm, the OB-6 is a Prophet 6 in a pin-striped suit.  I wonder if those lines can get irritating after an hour or so.  Thanks for another comparison, Paul.

« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2016, 08:28:01 PM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2016, 09:45:44 PM »
Okay, thanks for that.  I just vomited my dinner, and now I can have extra dessert.

AML

« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2016, 09:15:14 PM »
Hello, all. First post here. Seriously drooling over the OB6. Question...does anyone know if poly chaining will be available on this unit? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere, but I assume since the P6 is capable - and since the OB6 is based in the P6's architecture - that the OB6 will offer this. And if that's the case, would it not solve some of the voice concerns that many (including me) have? I would definitely buy a module and hook that puppy up to the keyboard version. Obviously that would not settle any 4-octave keyboard issues.

Cheers, all!

P.S. Of course this assumes both that a module will be made and one has endless money to spend.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:29:17 PM by AML »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2016, 09:27:52 PM »
That's a tough question to answer because the Operation Manual is not yet available.  Plus, we don't know if DSI will create a module version.  I'd suggest asking DSI Support directly, or else, contacting those few synthesists who have demonstrated the instrument on Youtube, such as Daniel Davis.  It would only be a matter of scrolling through the Global parameter to see if Polychain is in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdnh0C3UpRQ

AML

« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2016, 09:31:22 PM »
Indeed I will contact them. I figured I'd tap all of your brains first because you guys are infinitely quicker to respond.