Tune of the digital samples

Tune of the digital samples
« on: February 16, 2018, 02:52:02 AM »
Hi everybody,
I would want to know what is the original tune of the tempest digital samples like for example the sine, sawtooth.
I talk about the the Digital sample 3 and 4.
For example if i need to add a pure sine in digit 3 to my bass sound, what is the original tune ?
Thank you in advance.

RobH

Re: Tune of the digital samples
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 04:31:50 AM »
Hi everybody,
I would want to know what is the original tune of the tempest digital samples like for example the sine, sawtooth.
I talk about the the Digital sample 3 and 4.
For example if i need to add a pure sine in digit 3 to my bass sound, what is the original tune ?
Thank you in advance.

They are all in C as far as i know (although their may be the odd exception i haven't tested them all. The drums are not all in C.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 05:35:43 AM »
thank you my friend, very helpful for me.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 05:38:55 AM »
So if i want a Kick tune in D, i will just turn the tune on +2, isn't it ? on each 4 oscillators if i use them ?

RobH

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 09:19:07 AM »
So if i want a Kick tune in D, i will just turn the tune on +2, isn't it ? on each 4 oscillators if i use them ?

Not quite that simple.

The first two oscillators are analog you can see what note they are tuned to easily, so just dial in accordingly.

Oscillators 3 and 4 are all samples, the percussion based samples are not tuned as far as i know, some might be in "C" but others won't be. Samples 1-367 could be any pitch and you will have to either use a tuner, tune by ear or use an EQ or analyser to get a more definite pitch. Samples 367+ are samples of oscillators and/or samples of old DSI instruments from the past and all these as far as i am aware are sampled in C.

I hope this helps!

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 03:04:36 PM »

That would depend on whether the percussion sample in question is tonal or atonal; the latter of which, by definition, would have no center pitch, so tuning it would be a subjective exercise at best.  But for the VS waves, samples 368 through 464, yes, a setting of +2 would most definitely be a D.  And with the analog oscillators, there should be no confusion, because they tell you what note they're tuned to.  Which brings me to the self-help-tip-of-the-day:

You know, kids, in the olden days, we musicians used to tune things by ear (!).  I know, I know... It's a scary concept, having to rely on one's own musical sensibilities like pitch and meter - unfathomable some would say - but I promise you, it can be done.  What I'm saying is, when in doubt, you could always tune your samples to the analog oscillators or any of the tonal elements in the track you're working on.  In fact, I recommend it.  It's very liberating (wink).

Cheers!

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 03:08:05 PM »
what Rob said. Drum samples with less tone are rarely recorded in C. You never tune your whole acoustic drumset in C, do you? Would be very weird. To sound as close as possible to the drum machines they’ve taken samples from, they’ll use a sample of the standard tuning from that very machine.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 03:49:11 PM »
Sorry, Rob, I didn't see your last reply.  Anyway slashy, yes, what Rob said, plus a little good-natured Savage sarcasm (wink).

Tundrah, on the other hand, is clearly just trying for the last word (smirk).

Cheers!

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 10:13:56 PM »
Thank you for your reply.Very helpful for me.
Have a good day

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 02:10:35 AM »
Another tip you may not be aware of...

If you hold down the 'Select' button for the oscs the 'pitch' knob will tune all of them together, so providing your oscs are at default settings and you're using 'tuned' samples for the digital oscs this should keep everything in tune without have to tune each osc individually.

Did I say 'tune' enough times?
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher