Prophet 12 Choir Patch

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Prophet 12 Choir Patch
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2018, 07:19:50 AM »
Standingwave -

Please don't take my comments in a personal way.  I think you're developing a unique and impressive patch with a life of its own.  It would provide an excellent harmonic support behind other musical parts, especially melodic.  I just have something different and very specific in mind.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:21:48 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2018, 01:59:16 PM »
Not at all sacred.
 It's nice to be inspired to try new styles of synthesis by the community in general; it pushes my skills to the edge.
 All good.
 Cheers.

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2018, 01:38:45 AM »
I have enjoyed hearing the patch develop - a great insight into someone else's voice writing world. I usually don't have an end goal like "choir", I noodle until something interesting appears (or set up an FM framework) and then home in on that. In my (less precise) world I would probably tweak an earlier voice to give it a choir like onset and be done with it, without taking much notice of the changes as I made them - almost certainly resulting in quite an Alien choir.

Thanks for sharing!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2018, 06:06:03 AM »
Yes, I've enjoyed it, too.  I'm sure it pushed folks where they otherwise wouldn't have gone.  It also convinced me all the more of something I already appreciated - that the Poly Evolver Keyboard remains unique among all the DSI synthesizers, and - barring the PX's samples - makes the best synthesized choir patch by far. 

I don't expect this to happen; but in my opinion, an improved but substantially similar 8-voice PEK Rev2 would be a very desirable instrument, if it were ever to appear on the DSI work bench. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:09:35 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2018, 11:08:10 AM »
I quite like the challenge aspect of this. Maybe we could do a regular theme-based patch-making “competition”. Or even a more specific-sound-based one as in the above example.

I’m probably not competent enough at programming yet but it’d be a great way to learn from you all.

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2018, 11:41:46 AM »
I think that would be a great idea!

The p12 is perfect for challenges!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2018, 02:26:29 PM »
That's a great idea.  Now all I need is a Prophet 12.... :(

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2018, 02:34:59 PM »
I agree, it would be fun! Also, great insight into other's workflows for sure.

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2018, 05:18:10 AM »
It doesn’t necessarily have to be a P12-only thing; it could be opened to all and would be interesting to see how far different synths can be used to achieve similar results.

I also am lacking a P12. Currently I only have a Subsequent 37 but am trying to decide which DSI synth to go for.

That's a great idea.  Now all I need is a Prophet 12.... :(

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2018, 05:01:12 PM »
It would make good forum sense to keep this limited to the Prophet 12.  If you wanted to start a general all-instruments patch challenge thread, that would be a great idea over in the General Synthesis Off Topic area.  There's plenty of room here for all of this.  It's always best to keep the topics clear and specific.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:58:47 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2018, 08:28:13 AM »
It would make good forum sense to keep this limited to the Prophet 12.  If you wanted to start a general all-instruments patch challenge thread, that would be a great idea over in the General Synthesis Off Topic area.  There's plenty of room here for all of this, and it's always best to keep the topics clear and specific.

Yes, I realised that if opening up to other synths the topic would need to be elsewhere. I’m glad to hear there’s some enthusiasm for this idea.

Quai34

• FORMER PROFESSOR AT THE UNIVERSITY OF SAINT-BONIFA
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2018, 07:03:40 PM »
Hi Sacred Synthesis,
I've been following your work for a while and like it very much. I've noticed that you seem to be decided that a P12 could fit your need now (which was not the case few months ago), so why you haven't bought it yet? Is it because your approach will always be a stereo set up like a P12 keys plus P12 module like you have with your Evolvers? Hence the cost of the two units at the same time?
Stage 2, NL2X+TC Pedals, Nord C2, Matrix 1000 X2, Proteus 2000, Prophet 12 & P08//Tetra+Eventide H9, TX802, Roland D50+PG1000, AX5080, AX keytar, Waldorf Streichfett, 2 Yorkville PS-10P, Bass: Ibanez SR1200+G&L L2000. Guitars: G&L Legacy HSS, Asat Blueboys, Asat Deluxe Savanna, Ibanez Artstar AS153

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2018, 07:14:34 PM »
I changed my view of the Prophet 12 exactly one year ago, after being loaned one for a month.  I found it to be very different from the instrument I had come to know exclusively through YouTube videos.

So, why haven't I bought my own Prophet 12?  Because I can't presently afford one!  I've actually had two of my present instruments for sale for about eight months now, but with no serious bites.  I have a feeling that I'm going to miss out on the Prophet 12 altogether, although I expect to get a Rev2 or two.  But am I really missing out on anything?  The Poly Evolver Keyboards are extraordinary instruments and I wear them like gloves.

If I manage to get a bit of money together for music, at this point I'm more inclined to buy a piece of recording equipment, rather than a synthesizer.  My only present musical goal is to record my compositions and offer them for sale in one way or another.  The whole GAS issue is completely resolved.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:39:40 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2018, 11:29:20 PM »
If I manage to get a bit of money together for music, at this point I'm more inclined to buy a piece of recording equipment, rather than a synthesizer.  My only present musical goal is to record my compositions and offer them for sale in one way or another.  The whole GAS issue is completely resolved.

Do you plan to record the output of your mixer or will you prefer to record each synth on its own channel and mix digitally in a DAW? What computer type (windows, macos) are you using? Can it run modern software? How much of the mixing and mastering tasks do you plan to do yourself?

The sounds you have designed are very good. Have you considered funding your next instrument(s) by selling preset packs to other users? It could bring you good money for your synthesized future (minor detail: taxes). I will happily help you reorder the presets if you need help with that. The initial investment is quite low as all you need (provided that your computer supports that) is a class compliant USB/MIDI interface for loading the presets into your computer.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2018, 08:03:38 AM »
Thanks for the offer, Dslsynth.  I haven't worked out the details of the recording yet.  I'd like to keep things as simple and direct as possible.  I have no need to multi-tracking, and would like to maintain the live performance approach as a standard for recording.  In other words, everything I compose I can play and produce all at once, and I intend to keep it this way.  Whatever changes need to be made in patches, effects, or mixing are incorporated into the pieces from the beginning.   

I'm interested in the Tascam DR-100MkIII.  It seems as if it would be a substantial improvement regarding audio quality, presuming I get proficient with it.  But again, I'm still exploring.  Whatever works best in the end, it will require some careful experimentation.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 08:11:46 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2018, 08:35:41 AM »
Cheers, Sacred Synthesis! Sounds like a plan. The recorder looks very interesting:

https://youtu.be/Kqc23fDEUjU

My impression is that A/D converter and preamp quality improves as new products are developed so it may be an idea to check for more modern products while you save up for your next recorder.

In case you decide to go the DAW direction and have the hardware to support it one or all of these plugins may be worth taking a look at. They are on sales a few times each year.

And then we ended up in recording technology discussion in a choir patch thread. Good luck with it, sir! ;)

@Site maintenance team: youtube video inline feature overrules the "url" inline link tag, sigh!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 08:39:17 AM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2018, 08:40:32 AM »
Thank you very much. 

By the way, I believe the Tascam MkIII is only about a year old.  The MkII, which I nearly bought, had some problems.

dslsynth

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2018, 08:45:11 AM »
The video is around two years old so it a bit more than one year old it seems. ;)
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2018, 02:40:44 PM »
This thread really brought home something to me that implicitly took me a while to understand: the P12 can do an amazing range of things, and it has enough tools that you can get there eventually. But it does require work if you have a specific goal in mind--it does not have the super-broad sweet spots like the OB-6. That said, if you accept that it's a tradeoff between flexibility and "just dial in a stereotypical P12 sound," it's very rewarding. I initially had a little buyer's remorse when trying to work with it, but after a while I realized there was ALWAYS something else I could do to the sound, always another approach I could try. Going back to other synthesizers afterward always feels a bit limiting.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2018, 09:35:55 PM »
@SS- If you can manage it, I would go with the DAW approach.  You can record live but have each instrument on different tracks.  It will give you a lot more flexibility in final mixes.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.