Arturia MatrixBrute

Re: Arturia MatrixBrute
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 03:32:38 PM »
Full MIDI specs includes full external control, so that I can make my own editor for it... and the specs do not tell anything about that yet... ;)
That's what I meant by full MIDI spec ;) Anyway I just wanted to say I'm very optimistic in that regard and was wondering what led you to be cautious here. I guess we just have to wait and see!

That's easy to explain why I'm causious.... because it's a company with which I'm not familiar, and different companies has very different ways of handling their SysEx messages.... I still rely on the old SoundDiver program for making my editors, and one thing that can totaly ruin that, is if it's using an unknown checksum for example, or if it uses the same bytes in the structure for different values depending on other parameters (say, you have built in FX, and one byte holds the type of effect, and the next ten bytes hold the values for it... thus changing depending on what FX you've chosen)... SoundDiver cannot cope well with that... then there is the question about request messages... does it have them, or do you have to initiate dumps from the front panel of the synth? ... will it recieve the dumps back "on the fly", or do you have to enter some specific screen or mode to have the synth accept a dump?

Loads of things can actualy ruin my usage of it, if the MIDI specs are not pretty standard... but my needs are quite demanding... I know that ;) ... I simply do not buy a synth until I've studied it's MIDI specs in depth and beyond first...

Oh well, I didn't know it was that specific! In that case, let's hope it turns out the way you want it to. It seems to be quite an interesting synthesizer.
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 04:07:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7otjBeR0yh0&feature=em-uploademail

If Arturia doesn't mess anything up, Moog is starting to get a problem.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 10:09:01 PM »
Yes, indeed.  Could this be a Voyager XL killer?

I've always liked the ability to mix waveforms within an oscillator, rather than just select one.  Considering the limitations of an analog oscillator, it does increase the tonal range a bit.  I also like the choice of four different types of noise.  An interesting design for presets.  And a nice keyboard length, too.  A very impressive instrument.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:40:22 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

eXode

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 01:16:22 AM »
I've always liked the ability to mix waveforms within an oscillator, rather than just select one.  Considering the limitations of an analog oscillator, it does increase the tonal range a bit.

Not sure how familiar you are with the previous Brute's but it's not just that you can mix the waveforms. Next to traditional PWM there are different ways to modulate/shape the other waveforms (taken from the Minibrute product page):

Saw - Ultrasaw

Ultrasaw provides shimmering sawtooth waveforms that will considerably enrich the sound.

It basically makes two phase-shifted copies of the raw sawtooth waveform. The copies have ever-evolving phase shifts of their own, and when mixed with the original sawtooth they complement one another.

This results in a lively, rich, bright ensemble effect that can be further enhanced by the modulation rates of the phase-shifted copies. This is the first time a feature like this has been offered in an analog keyboard.

Triangle - Metalizer

The Metalizer takes the basic triangle waveform, “warping” and “folding” it to create complex, jagged waveforms that are rich in high harmonics. This results in pitched, “metallic” sounds that are ideal for harpsichord- and clavinet-type tones. Dynamic modulation of the warp/fold parameters by an LFO or envelope opens up a realm of “clangorous” sounds that will cut through your mix nicely.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 02:26:08 AM »
Well... in the video he's talking about an editor, and dumps back and forth... now it's a lot more interresting, especialy if they have an editor for it :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2016, 02:52:48 AM »
This definitely has my attention. Hopefully more demos will be out soon.

chysn

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2016, 03:30:32 AM »
Not sure how familiar you are with the previous Brute's but it's not just that you can mix the waveforms. Next to traditional PWM there are different ways to modulate/shape the other waveforms

I love this feature. On the MicroBrute, this capability goes a long way toward compensating for a 12dB/oct filter. With the MatrixBrute's already more and better filters, the wave shaping will be even more flexible.

The "Brute Factor" on the Steiner-Parker filter is basically a feedback control. Unlike the Evolver feedback, which sends the signal from after the highpass filter output back to the beginning of the signal path, Brute Factor sends the signal from the synth's output right back into the filter. I think this is a more pleasing way to do it.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2016, 06:54:36 AM »
The Brutes have their own sound, that's what I like about them in the first place. In that regard Moog doesn't really have to worry, since only Moog sounds like Moog.

It's the Matrix Brute's features that could certainy harm Moog though. Also, notice that there are 2 manufacturers that introduced an improved ladder filter at this NAMM: Arturia and Dave Rossum with his Evolution filter. Both made sure that the bottom end isn't cut, when resonance is engaged, or at least give you the option of how much you want the bottom end to be affected as in Rossum's case.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2016, 11:48:58 AM »
Not sure how familiar you are with the previous Brute's but it's not just that you can mix the waveforms. Next to traditional PWM there are different ways to modulate/shape the other waveforms (taken from the Minibrute product page):

I admired this in the previous Brutes - the way they were getting the most out of otherwise traditional waveforms.  I might have bought the Mini if it had been a larger instrument. 

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2016, 11:51:56 AM »
I was lucky with my MiniBute, but I've read and heard a lot about built quality issues. I hope they can get it right this time and that no one has to wait about 12 months for them to be delivered.

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2016, 11:55:13 AM »
On the other hand: If they will deliver in this case, then I would even consider exchanging my Sub 37 for this.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2016, 09:30:18 PM »
I'll be interested to hear this instrument in a studio-quality recording.  It looks fabulous and the features are great, but it's got to be able to sing well.

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 09:40:45 PM »
I'll be interested to hear this instrument in a studio-quality recording.  It looks fabulous and the features are great, but it's got to be able to sing well.

I agree. Professional demos might not be available before spring though. I trust the oscillators, but I'm curious to hear how three of them sound together and what's possible with the filter combination. The matrix idea is really cool, because you can actually 'play' it, which is a cool way of enhancing direct modulation control.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 09:57:47 PM »
Didn't they say it won't be available until June?  And by then, the Vermona 14 may be out!

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 10:00:43 PM »
Didn't they say it won't be available until June?  And by then, the Vermona 14 may be out!

Yeah, something like that. - Oh, I just realized that there was no coverage on anything Vermona did.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2016, 10:05:30 PM »
Maybe Thomas from Vermona lost that prototype he demonstrated last year! 

Their announcement a month ago said the Vermona would be available in 2016, but not exactly when.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2016, 12:57:22 PM »
Yeah, something like that. - Oh, I just realized that there was no coverage on anything Vermona did.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8UDr7FT5ZI

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2016, 07:35:43 PM »

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8UDr7FT5ZI

Ah, thank you. So no real news yet. The arpeggiator and sequencer functionality looks good though. Wonder how much it'll be in the end.

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2016, 07:38:00 PM »
Back on topic:

Another video with some nice examples in the end (although I believe it has been taken from somewhere else): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-czRrnUlOk

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2016, 10:43:00 PM »
The most informative video to date: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cVTFxEw8FY