Arturia MatrixBrute

Shaw

Re: Arturia MatrixBrute
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2016, 01:52:16 PM »
Okay, this one contains more audio examples: https://youtu.be/ru2quYHKXp4?t=5m53s

I'm not impressed, but I think at this point I may just be biased against the brand.  So take that with a grain of salt.  But to me, it just doesn't sound like a 3 VCO synth.

My 2˘

Weird, isn't it? I think the same without any bias against the brand.

Well at least we agree it doesn't sound like an impressive 3 VCO mono-synth.  Bias or not.   ;)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2016, 02:16:11 PM »
Like I said, I have no reason to be biased. I made no bad experience with the MiniBrute I used to own.

As for demos: Those are always hugely dependent on who's doing them and his or her stylistic preferences. It's a bit like that with presets as well. Many people, for example, complained about the Prophet '08s presets and how they would all sound awful, outdated, and generally showed that the synth was not good at anything in particular when compared to a VST. Now, as we all know that was obviously bollocks (whether one liked its particular sound character or not), but in this case the first impression via the presets also didn't work towards the synth's advantage. As usual, nothing has really changed in how a synth should be approached in order to find out if it's for you: try one out in person. Just because YouTube and SoundCloud exist doesn't mean that these media can be substitutes.

« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2016, 03:37:05 PM »
Well at least we agree it doesn't sound like an impressive 3 VCO mono-synth.  Bias or not.   ;)

With regard to about 10% of the video, yes. I have to slightly revise my statement because I realized that he's using only one oscillator most of the time.

« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2016, 11:12:22 AM »
I think the only positive thing about the videos so far is that it may make it easier to get one at launch.

On paper the specs look very good, you get a couple of extra oscillators over the Minibrute and an additional more "normal" filter, some FX, a sequencer, a mod matrix, loads of CV connections and an extra envelope. All packaged up in what I think looks like a pretty nice synth.

With the mini brute as long as you don't start arseing around with the metllizer or brute factor the OSCs can sound pretty nice, it would be nice to have a demo just using basic OSC shapes (not overdriven) with the new filter.

I really hope this doesn't go the same way as the Origin, a fantastic synth that was doomed by the initial release and the general Arturia hatred thats seems prevalent, possibly all of their own making.

Shaw

« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2016, 11:16:56 AM »
... and the general Arturia hatred thats seems prevalent, possibly all of their own making.
"the general Arturia hatred thats seems prevalent" - I wouldn't say "hatred", more like "indifference"
"all of their own making" - no doubt

I'm just waiting for this thread to get to the inevitable MatrixBrute / Pro 2 comparison.   :)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2016, 11:47:43 AM »
If you look at the prices in the uk there are straight competitors:

Pro 2 : 1450
Matrix brute: 1539
Modal 001: 1600

Arturias main selling point I guess over the other two synths above is the VCOs for the analog purists, very good CV support,  and the nicely implemented mod matrix panel.

I would also guess the Pro 2 and the 001 would last a lot longer than the Matrixbrute, and both companies have an extremely good reputation for support, something Arturia could only hope for.

« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2016, 12:43:17 PM »
With the mini brute as long as you don't start arseing around with the metllizer or brute factor the OSCs can sound pretty nice, it would be nice to have a demo just using basic OSC shapes (not overdriven) with the new filter.

That's a matter of taste. The Metallizer and Brute Factor clearly belong to the ingredients that made the MiniBrute's unique sound stand out. They're of course not for those, who want a Minimoog-like lead, but that doesn't make these features worse.

As for the general criticism about the video presentations, I'd say: make it better. Especially in the last one, much of the basic functionality has been covered while still demonstrating a bit of tweaking (showing that one is enjoying the instrument and gets carried away from time to time). It's also a one take shot, no major editing whatsoever (I've seen more cuts or plenty of cuts at all in videos that are not even one third of this one's length). Even if you're on the development team, it's not that easy to just set up a presentation like this.

I'm also not sure why it's so obvious that the MatrixBrute is competing with a Pro 2 or a 001. The latter are hybrid synths that may address a different audience altogether. Sound-wise, these synths don't seem to have that much in common with the Pro 2 and the 001 certainly being closer to each other. As for the modulation matrix, it certainly comes closest to the Pro 2, but that's about it.

« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2016, 12:50:17 PM »

That's a matter of taste. The Metallizer and Brute Factor clearly belong to the ingredients that made the MiniBrute's unique sound stand out. They're of course not for those, who want a Minimoog-like lead, but that doesn't make these features worse.

Exactly, thats why I think it is a good idea to do a demo using basic OSCs and the ladder filter. The matrixbute I guess is something they want to appeal to the minimoog brigade.

I'm also not sure why it's so obvious that the MatrixBrute is competing with a Pro 2 or a 001. The latter are hybrid synths that may address a different audience altogether. Sound-wise, these synths don't seem to have that much in common with the Pro 2 and the 001 certainly being closer to each other. As for the modulation matrix, it certainly comes closest to the Pro 2, but that's about it.

Mono synths, similar pricing. I guess the P2 and Matrixbrute are the nearest, but I would put that down to the CVs as much as the mod matrix. A nod to the eurorack brigade.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 12:52:13 PM by BobTheDog »

« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2016, 12:53:09 PM »
Mono synths, similar pricing.

Well, I get that part of course. I'm just not sure how well that works beyond theory.

Shaw

« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2016, 12:56:38 PM »
Mono synths, similar pricing.

Well, I get that part of course. I'm just not sure how well that works beyond theory.

I agree with Paul... I'm not sure how much "cross-modulation"  ( :) ) there is between the Pro 2 crowd and the MatrixBrute crowd.  I love my Pro2, but wouldn't consider a MatrixBrute.   [but my bias is well documented]

« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2016, 11:43:46 PM »
Maybe it's just me, a have a P2 and want an 001 and matrixbrute :)

If you go to the Devil website GeerSlutz the 001 and pro 2 are compared quite a bit so I guess some others think the same is me. We will have to wait for the MatrixBrute to see if the same thing happens, I'm guessing because of the CV connectivity it will.

« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2016, 11:59:17 PM »
Dunno, I think the Pro 2 and the 001 are more obvious competitors - sound-wise mostly.

To me, the Arturia synths always reminded me of a sound that no other company would offer, something old, a bit like EMS. So for me Arturia would reach their goal already if the MatrixBrute captures something of that 1960s radiophonic flair on one side of its sonic continuum. I can't speak for its full 3 oscillator sound yet, but I do really like the sound of the analog effects.

Specs-wise, all three synths share a complex modulation matrix and cv in and out connectivity. Their common ground is certainly that each of them is conceptualized to be at the core of a modular setup. Sonically, I rather see the Pro 2 and the 001 move into one direction, while the MatrixBrute turns the opposite way.

« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2016, 12:03:02 AM »
Some trivia: I find it funny that Axel Hartmann had to pull back the Arturia team so that the MatrixBrute wouldn't look like a Voyager in the end. He mentions this around the end of this podcast:

Shaw

« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2016, 04:52:32 AM »
Some trivia: I find it funny that Axel Hartmann had to pull back the Arturia team so that the MatrixBrute wouldn't look like a Voyager in the end. He mentions this around the end of this podcast:

I'm surprised the Moog Sub 37 hasn't snuck into this conversation yet.  AT $1499 MSRP (less if you have a friend at your local music store -- they have room to discount these), it's clearly in this category....

And (I know the Arturia folks will have something to say about this comment) sonically, I think it blows the Arturia out of the water -- even as just a 2 OSC (plus Sub).  And it's modulation routings are deep -- perhaps not quite as deep as the Pro 2 / 001 / MatrixBrute, but nothing paltry for sure.

Now consider this, with the Sub 37 at $1499, you could add to it a Mother-32, and still be in the price range of the other synths (all at or around $1999).  Eager to hear you guys thoughts on that one....

« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2016, 10:41:50 AM »
I'm surprised the Moog Sub 37 hasn't snuck into this conversation yet.  AT $1499 MSRP (less if you have a friend at your local music store -- they have room to discount these), it's clearly in this category....

Almost. But the one thing the Sub 37 can't be is the centerpiece for a modular setup because it lacks CV outputs. And although the modulation routings are deep for a Moog in this price category, the other three simply give you more options, which relativizes the lower price. Something that might not be irrelevant to some players is that the MatrixBrute offers you a 4 octave keyboard instead of the 37 keys you usually find in this category (with the exception of the Pro 2).

And sure, Moogs sound moog-ish to various degrees (i.e. not always like a Minimoog or a modular, but they give you the flavor), but that alone might not be what everybody's after - neither those who want to go fully retro, nor those who rather want to try something different. If I take a MiniBrute as an example, I'd say it sounds both more vintage than any current affordable Moog, but also way beyond that due to parameters other synths simply don't offer (whether you personally like the BruteFactor or Metallizer or not).

« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2016, 12:54:50 PM »
I told you there's more to come in terms of videos:

Shaw

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2016, 01:12:46 PM »

That was educational.

« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2016, 01:20:11 PM »

That was educational.

Haters gonna hate.  ;D

Shaw

« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2016, 01:26:16 PM »

That was educational.

Haters gonna hate.  ;D

At least I'm upfront about it.  :)       
 And it's not like I'm on the Arturia forum... 

« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2016, 02:15:09 PM »
At least I'm upfront about it.  :)       
And it's not like I'm on the Arturia forum...

You've been upfront about it a couple of times by now. The point is that if you feel obliged to dislike everything Arturia does, then you don't have to participate in a thread about an instrument that is being released by Arturia  - especially after you've alreay made it unequivocally clear that you're not interested in any of their products on principle.

Secondly, yes this is a DSI forum, but this subforum in particular is also called "Other Hardware/Software," which has been created to share information about what other synth manufacturers are developing. None of the threads here are created to impose an instrument on anybody, or to sell other manufacturer's instruments to anyone. This part of the forum exists for purely informational reasons. Plus: most of us tend to own gear from more than just one manufacturer. The fact that we all share a passion for DSI gear doesn't necessarily mean that we're automatically rejecting instruments by other manufacturers.