Arturia MatrixBrute

LoboLives

Re: Arturia MatrixBrute
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2017, 10:36:17 AM »
I always wondered if Eventide would ever partner up with a synth company where a synths internal effects are done by Eventide. Just imagine!

« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2017, 11:04:42 AM »
That's a great track track on a nice sounding synth! Too bad about the effects. I had hoped the analog delay might sound good. I'm kind of looking for an all in one keyboard because I have very limited space in my studio (ahem, guest room).

« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2017, 11:26:50 AM »
I always wondered if Eventide would ever partner up with a synth company where a synths internal effects are done by Eventide. Just imagine!

Well, Eventide just went Eurorack with their Space: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/02/07/new-eventide-space-eurorack-module-by-ninstrument/

I would assume that more may follow in the future.

« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2017, 01:55:28 PM »
That's a great track track on a nice sounding synth! Too bad about the effects. I had hoped the analog delay might sound good. I'm kind of looking for an all in one keyboard because I have very limited space in my studio (ahem, guest room).

It doesn't sound bad but it is limited, there seems to be a total removal of high frequencies so it is pretty muffled. It's ok for filling things out a bit and for modulation effects.

« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »

Well, Eventide just went Eurorack with their Space: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/02/07/new-eventide-space-eurorack-module-by-ninstrument/

That looks interesting, I wonder how much they will be.

« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2017, 02:08:24 PM »

That looks interesting, I wonder how much they will be.

There's no info on the price yet. Of course I also should have been more precise. It's not directly made by Eventide, rather a mod by Ninstrument. Here's a nice demonstration though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sQVnKINx7Q

« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2017, 10:08:41 PM »
Once you are familiar with the layout it quickly becomes the most hands on synth you could imagine. EVERYTHING has a dedicated control... no menu diving to set  a filter modulation. No matter how obscure .
I'm super excited to get my hands on one at home.i will say they do need more proper demos, the tutorial that they just released is a step in the right direction though.

I'm going to jump in here and confirm this same thing.  I had done zero "study" of it, walked up to one at SwitchedOn here in Austin last weekend, and it was all just right there.  The fact that you could switch multiple modulations more or less simultaneously on the matrix (with dextrous fingers) was pretty awesome.  I didn't get to play it through speakers or an amp, only really horrible headphones, so I can't say how the low end held up.  But it at least sounded good enough through the horrible headphones.  And as I stated in my Reddit write-up, within 10 minutes I could imagine myself taking ONLY the MB to a synth-nerd meetup to do a "modular" set, and improvising something good with no problem.  The fact that I felt this way within *minutes* of laying hands on it is a massive testament to Arturia's thoughtfulness in the UI.  I'm not sure I want one yet, but... it's definitely somewhere on my list.  I'll wait to see reliability reports and pick one up 2nd hand though.

« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2017, 10:11:02 PM »
Korgs large format poly on the way

Have I missed an announcement?  I don't recall any new Korg large format polys announced since September...?

LoboLives

« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2017, 10:07:01 AM »
I'm still on the fence about the Matrixbrute. It looks like a great synth and sounds nice but the sequencer has a lot of short comings.

Some MultiTimbrality would have been nice with multiple sequence , have each of the three oscillators on it's own patch/sequence.

Also how is there not a ratcheting feature on this thing?

All this seems to be able to be fixed with an OS update but still.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2017, 06:24:24 PM »

Come over to the Arturia forums for more info on the ratchet feature in their sequencers and firmware update hell fun.... 

Ratchet on the BSP has been requested since it was released but not implemented.  Could be because it's not a highly requested feature (mainly the want of one rather vocal owner), or it could be because they can't do it.  I've done a little reading about ratcheting features on sequencers and it would seem not many ever did boast it, with more search results being attempts to create a ratcheting effect than talk of sequencers with a ratchet function.
I don't expect a ratcheting sequencer out of Arturia for any of their hardware anytime soon.  I've even thought of using a gate track as a trigger for a delay to mimic ratcheting, that is how confident in them not adding a ratchet, but hey, don't let that from stopping you requesting it on their request boards.

LoboLives

« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2017, 03:19:51 AM »

Come over to the Arturia forums for more info on the ratchet feature in their sequencers and firmware update hell fun.... 

Ratchet on the BSP has been requested since it was released but not implemented.  Could be because it's not a highly requested feature (mainly the want of one rather vocal owner), or it could be because they can't do it.  I've done a little reading about ratcheting features on sequencers and it would seem not many ever did boast it, with more search results being attempts to create a ratcheting effect than talk of sequencers with a ratchet function.
I don't expect a ratcheting sequencer out of Arturia for any of their hardware anytime soon.  I've even thought of using a gate track as a trigger for a delay to mimic ratcheting, that is how confident in them not adding a ratchet, but hey, don't let that from stopping you requesting it on their request boards.

It just seems like such a no brainer for sequencers...especially in the analog realm. A lot of people use hardware sequencers for synths because of Tangerine Dream and ratcheting was a bit deal with that sound. It's on the Sub 37 and Oberheim Two Voice Pro have it...I figured on something like the Matrixbrute, chaining sequences/ratcheting...it should just be there.

megamarkd

« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2017, 04:31:35 AM »
Oddly enough, mere sequence chaining was an effort for them to implement.  I agree, it should be apart of every step-sequencer.  If Teenage Engineering can include it on their little machines, it can't be too hard.

« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2017, 10:02:14 AM »
Currently for ratcheting on the MB you need to make use of the long sequence length and set the clock divisor up to divide down the length.

See 1:35 onwards here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J39LvMLDW0 for an example

Shaw

« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2017, 12:11:43 PM »
Currently for ratcheting on the MB you need to make use of the long sequence length and set the clock divisor up to divide down the length.

See 1:35 onwards here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J39LvMLDW0 for an example
That gets cumbersome....
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2017, 01:06:22 AM »
But it's the only way ;)

megamarkd

« Reply #155 on: September 03, 2017, 12:06:42 AM »
Wow watching that video makes me yearn for a MatrixBrute!
I've thought about how to do ratcheting without manually programming the notes in over a long sequence of short notes and I could only think of doing it with a CV gate running into the synth from an external sequencer, but that is essentially the same as programming the notes in on the MatrixBrute's own sequencer only using a second piece of equipment.  But, the difference there is that one can make a longer sequence on the external sequencer and have the 'ratchet' occur on a much longer loop than that which the notes are running on, giving a more Tangerine Dream sort of effect.

« Reply #156 on: July 29, 2018, 11:38:36 AM »
Decided to take the plunge and ordered a MatrixBrute yesterday...arriving 8/1 (figured I'd post here to re-animate this old thread).

Did a ton of research before pulling the trigger.  One of my biggest concerns was Arturia's history of questionable hardware quality.  I looked at every online seller I could find that sells the MatrixBrute and nearly every single review was 5 stars...many specifically praising the build quality.  Bought mine through Amazon and the 3rd party seller (EverythingMusic) added a free 1 year extended warranty which is a good feeling.

Wondering if anyone else here has bought one of these?
Mutiny in Jonestown, Progressive Rock Since 1987:

Bandcamp: https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

LoboLives

« Reply #157 on: July 29, 2018, 01:47:39 PM »
Decided to take the plunge and ordered a MatrixBrute yesterday...arriving 8/1 (figured I'd post here to re-animate this old thread).

Did a ton of research before pulling the trigger.  One of my biggest concerns was Arturia's history of questionable hardware quality.  I looked at every online seller I could find that sells the MatrixBrute and nearly every single review was 5 stars...many specifically praising the build quality.  Bought mine through Amazon and the 3rd party seller (EverythingMusic) added a free 1 year extended warranty which is a good feeling.

Wondering if anyone else here has bought one of these?

I'm going to get heat for this....but I consider the MatrixBrute this generation's ARP 2600. It's very very good. A few things regarding the sequencer I'm not keen on but they can be updated via firmware should Arturia want to.

« Reply #158 on: July 29, 2018, 02:53:43 PM »
Mines still going strong and it is one from the first batch, build quality is pretty good. I had an issue with some of the slider caps and Arturia sent me some replacements but apart from that it's been solid.

« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2018, 09:54:55 AM »
Mines still going strong and it is one from the first batch, build quality is pretty good. I had an issue with some of the slider caps and Arturia sent me some replacements but apart from that it's been solid.

Good to hear.  I just got mine unboxed and running yesterday.  I've been putting it through it's paces and so far all is running as expected and is cosmetically perfect.  Mine has a mfg date of 4/2017, is that a first batch like yours?
Mutiny in Jonestown, Progressive Rock Since 1987:

Bandcamp: https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/