Octatrack as a slave by Tempest’s beats?

Octatrack as a slave by Tempest’s beats?
« on: February 10, 2018, 09:20:02 AM »
How to make OT recieve the T’s beat change (aka pattern change)?

I need to use T’s beat changes to send changes of OT’s patterns, so that they can advance in a live jammed song together, automatically. (I will not make a song structure in advance)

I use T as rythms and as the masterclock/transport source for OT.

Can anyone please tell me if this is possible and if so, show me a guide?

Re: Octatrack as a slave by Tempest’s beats?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 10:29:30 AM »
Can’t be done..T’s Midi implementation is very limited

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 12:17:48 PM »
Thanks for answer!

..and it cant be done the other way either? (With OT as the master)?

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 02:54:59 PM »
Yes you can switch Tempest’s Beats with OT...

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 03:09:53 PM »
Do you know if that can be done by the change of patterns? So if i start new patterns on OT it can also both change and start new beats on T?

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 03:13:26 PM »
..The bad problem in the first place for my needs, is that the OT can not automatically change tempo on a pattern change (so thats why we use T as the master for changing/starting..)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 03:15:19 PM by hilmarlarsen@hotmail.com »

RobH

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 06:10:12 PM »
..The bad problem in the first place for my needs, is that the OT can not automatically change tempo on a pattern change (so thats why we use T as the master for changing/starting..)

Thats lame event the machinedrum could do that...

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 02:35:03 AM »
I used to own an OT and you can change tempo automatically or manually if you use the arranger..There’s a thread about it on the Elektronauts where at the end says about changing tempo manually if you want: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/arranger-tempo-per-pattern/14365/6
It works I did it once..
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:41:44 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 04:45:18 AM »
Do you know if that can be done by the change of patterns? So if i start new patterns on OT it can also both change and start new beats on T?

- Is that possible? If so, how to program it in to the OT patterns and on the T? Please advice.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 04:52:08 AM »
I used to own an OT and you can change tempo automatically or manually if you use the arranger..There’s a thread about it on the Elektronauts where at the end says about changing tempo manually if you want: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/arranger-tempo-per-pattern/14365/6
It works I did it once..

I know this. But this work badly in our setup as we are very busy during transitions (and still dont want to make our music based on «finished track lengths»)

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 05:14:12 AM »
Yes it can be done but as i’ve told you i’ve sold my OT and it’s better for someone else who owns it to chime in.Also saw you mentioned fixed lengths..You can choose not to be fixed by setting loops and such and change the patterns at any point you like..I suggest you to study the arranger as it’s one of the most powerful features of OT if you master it..This is your only choise i’m afraid
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:16:45 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 05:23:45 AM »
Thank you again for trying to help:)

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 06:58:16 AM »
You’re welcome ;)
Thank you again for trying to help:)

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 01:58:04 PM »
Yes you can switch Tempest’s Beats with OT...

You can change Tempest beats via the Octatrack, but in my experience this set up introduces a bug when "roll" is engaged on a Tempest pad and a beat change message is being sent at the same time. I currently have a support ticket open about this.

I sequence my live set via the OT's arranger (with plenty of infinite loop points to customize pattern lengths) and just have the Tempest slaved with "beat quantize" set to "none" so I can easily change the Tempest beat on the fly when needed.
https://textureandlight.ca (electronic music from inner space)