Velocity with a negative filter envelope

Velocity with a negative filter envelope
« on: February 08, 2018, 05:45:56 PM »
I just got my rev2 and am still getting to know it. I've been into synthesizers for a while, so the concepts aren't new to me in general, but the following issue has me kind of puzzled so I was hoping someone might be able to help me understand what's going on.

In the filter section, when you set the envelope amount to a negative value, the user manual states that the velocity knob serves to close the filter more the harder you play, causing the sound to become less bright. But no matter what I do I can't seem to get this result. Starting with an INIT patch, I only made changes to the filter section as follows:

Cutoff: 164
Res: 0
Env Amount: -127
Velocity: 0
Key Amount: 0
Audio Mod: 0
Delay: 0
Attack: 64
Decay: 64
Sustain: 64
Release: 64

Of course when velocity is set to zero, playing the keys harder makes no difference.

But then, as I raise velocity gradually from 0 up to 127, the sound actually gets BRIGHTER when I play the keys harder.

Can someone please explain to me why I'm not getting the results described in the manual with these settings, and also how to achieve the desired behavior just using the filter envelope settings (press keys harder = close filter more).

By the way, I've already updated to the latest firmware, 1.1.0.3.

Thanks!

Re: Velocity with a negative filter envelope
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 11:50:14 AM »
Hey! So, the issue is that, although the Filter Envelope control is bi-polar and will go into the negative, the Velocity control in the filter section is not and will only work for positive values. In order to set up the velocity in this way, you'll need to use a slot in the Mod Matrix to route Vel. to either Cutoff or Env. Amt. with a negative value. You're going to want to keep the Env. Amt. at less than -127 if you're routing Vel. to Env. Amt, as it won't be able to be reduced any further if it's already set all the way negative.
Does that make sense? Hope this helps!

I just got my rev2 and am still getting to know it. I've been into synthesizers for a while, so the concepts aren't new to me in general, but the following issue has me kind of puzzled so I was hoping someone might be able to help me understand what's going on.

In the filter section, when you set the envelope amount to a negative value, the user manual states that the velocity knob serves to close the filter more the harder you play, causing the sound to become less bright. But no matter what I do I can't seem to get this result. Starting with an INIT patch, I only made changes to the filter section as follows:

Cutoff: 164
Res: 0
Env Amount: -127
Velocity: 0
Key Amount: 0
Audio Mod: 0
Delay: 0
Attack: 64
Decay: 64
Sustain: 64
Release: 64

Of course when velocity is set to zero, playing the keys harder makes no difference.

But then, as I raise velocity gradually from 0 up to 127, the sound actually gets BRIGHTER when I play the keys harder.

Can someone please explain to me why I'm not getting the results described in the manual with these settings, and also how to achieve the desired behavior just using the filter envelope settings (press keys harder = close filter more).

By the way, I've already updated to the latest firmware, 1.1.0.3.

Thanks!

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 04:08:31 PM »
Thanks for posting. I see what you're saying about how to accomplish this with the Mod Matrix, and that works.

In the Filter section of the manual, the Velocity section must just be a copy & paste from another synth manual or something. It refers to a "negative amount", which obviously doesn't make sense when the Velocity knob only has positive values available. I tried to interpret "negative Amount" as referring to "negative Env Amount" to give them the benefit of the doubt, but apparently the sentence just shouldn't be in there at all.

Anyway, thanks again!

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 08:52:21 AM »
Sure thing, anytime!

I just looked through the manual and you're absolutely right, it kind of seems like that bit shouldn't be in there at all. They definitely make it sound like the knob is bi-polar, which is not true. Unless I'm missing something haha...

Happy synthesizing  8)

Thanks for posting. I see what you're saying about how to accomplish this with the Mod Matrix, and that works.

In the Filter section of the manual, the Velocity section must just be a copy & paste from another synth manual or something. It refers to a "negative amount", which obviously doesn't make sense when the Velocity knob only has positive values available. I tried to interpret "negative Amount" as referring to "negative Env Amount" to give them the benefit of the doubt, but apparently the sentence just shouldn't be in there at all.

Anyway, thanks again!