Audio goes in and out in headphones when A / B are all plugged in

When I reset to a basic patch, if I have two dual quarter inch cables plugged into both output A and output B in stereo, the audio in the headphones goes in and out. As soon as I unplug the 1/4" cables, the audio remains steady in the headphones.

What is happening? I would assume the headphones just output everything. I suppose that's incorrect. So at the very least, why does it fade in and out?

Thank you!

Best,
Devon

Re: Audio goes in and out in headphones when A / B are all plugged in
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 11:18:03 PM »
I have the same experience with some patches also when only out  B is connected. (nothing in A) Sound moves from headphone to channel B and vice versa. Did you find the cause ?

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 11:02:11 PM »
DSI confirmed, when you plug in anything in the B outputs, the B sounds get physically disconnected from A and the headphone only outputs what is on A. So, perhaps what you experience is the missing B layer sounds on the headphone.

Also, DSI confirmed, you will only hear 8 notes play back on a 16 voice unit when playing a single layer (Stack/Split not enabled), and with multi-mode disabled.  In my experience this results in 8 notes using layer A and then the next 8 notes using layer B getting the effect of "dropped" notes on the A or B output. In other words... not sure how you can force 16 notes polyphony on one layer in non-stack/split mode.

Perhaps it would be a nice feature to be able to select the number of voices per layer AND to select to which output the layer A and B sounds go. (A only, B only, A+B)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:32:50 AM by musicmaker »

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »
Also, DSI confirmed, you will only hear 8 notes play back on a 16 voice unit when playing a single layer (Stack/Split not enabled), and with multi-mode disabled.  In my experience this results in 8 notes using layer A and then the next 8 notes using layer B getting the effect of "dropped" notes on the A or B output. In other words... not sure how you can force 16 notes polyphony on one layer in non-stack/split mode.

To be clear, you get 16 voices on a single layer, A or B, if you're not using stack or split as long as you do not have any cables plugged into the B outputs. i.e. if you're connected to the main outs. There's no reason for you to ever be connected to the B outputs only, so if you're using the B outs then it means you want to process layers A and B separately or run in a bi-timbral configuration.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 09:01:33 PM »
With Jacks in A+B, No split or stack playing same or notes in sequence (with note off in between), 8 notes of layer A output to jack A and the next 8 notes of layer A output to jack B. The same occurs when selecting Layer B but then for layer B sounds.

Effects off, All mod routing offs, no ARP, multi mode off, no unison.  Examples: U1P68.
How to get all 16 notes for Layer A to output on A without having to unplug the jacks from B?

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:04:30 PM by musicmaker »

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 12:07:01 AM »
With Jacks in A+B, No split or stack playing same or notes in sequence (with note off in between), 8 notes of layer A output to jack A and the next 8 notes of layer A output to jack B. The same occurs when selecting Layer B but then for layer B sounds.

Effects off, All mod routing offs, no ARP, multi mode off, no unison.  Examples: U1P68.
How to get all 16 notes for Layer A to output on A without having to unplug the jacks from B?
You can’t. If you’re plugged into a mixer you have to monitor from there, the rev 2 headphone jack will only output layer A
Rev2, Pro2, Tempest

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 07:33:51 AM »
Hope there will be a global settings feature to select between the current "alternate" output mode and a "fixed" mode which fixes all layer A sounds to output A and layer B to output B (16 voice polyphony) so that it is not needed to physically insert and remove jacks for the desired setup.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 12:02:11 PM »
I’m not sure but it seems like it is done with physical switching jacks and not software.
Rev2, Pro2, Tempest

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 03:50:30 PM »
I’m not sure but it seems like it is done with physical switching jacks and not software.

This is correct.
SEQUENTIAL