OB-6 channelAT vs polyAT? Any examples?

buchlabum

• west coast synthesis please...
OB-6 channelAT vs polyAT? Any examples?
« on: January 31, 2018, 08:43:14 PM »
Just starting to do some research into the OB-6 module and I believe it can handle polyAT, but the keyboard version does channel AT. 

Anyone try using an OB-6 with a polyAT controller?  Is it a world of difference? 

Anyone have any examples of something they recorded with a polyAT controller?

Hymy

Re: OB-6 channelAT vs polyAT? Any examples?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 11:18:00 AM »
Hi!
Earlier today after updating my MPC Live and trying to find out if they fixed the broken channel aftertouch, I found that it (And MPC X) sends poly-AT from the pads, can't believe I missed that when reading the user manual. I made some quick tests and at least for pads and "neurofunk-like" growls etc. it works wonderfully. I have to create some patches specifically for poly-at to get a better understanding of it's capabilities, but it can get pretty wild and weird.

Got my keyboard version of OB-6 two weeks ago, last week I learned that it responds to poly-at and today this! As soon as I get good enough results I'll record it and post a link.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 11:35:22 AM »
All of our polyphonic synths respond to Polyphonic Key Pressure messages via MIDI. None of our instruments support Channel Pressure on a per-voice basis. This would require a fully multitimbral architecture.

Here's a concise article explaining the difference between Channel Aftertouch and Polyphonic Key Pressure:
http://www.audiomasterclass.com/newsletter/the-difference-between-channel-aftertouch-and-polyphonic-aftertouch

In essence, if you want to control one of our polyphonic instruments with per-note articulation, you will want to transmit Polyphonic Key Pressure messages to the instrument.

In the OB-6 specifically, any destination you set in the dedicated Aftertouch section will be affected by Polyphonic Key Pressure messages transmitted to the synth.
SEQUENTIAL

buchlabum

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 06:42:33 PM »
All??  :D
Very cool.   I just got an Ensoniq VFX-sd delivered today, getting ready to go home and try using the polyAT with the OB-6, and now I'm wondering if the Tempest could be used as a polyAT controller with the MPC mention.  Makes sense it would.

The main thing I've been finding limiting is for example, how down a bass note, then a chord an octave up or so.  Now with the channel AT, I can't use aftertouch to individually sweep the filters (or modulate whatever), so if I want my bass note to modulate (like a filter freq. warble or something), but my chord to not modulate, can't be done.  But polyAT, should be able to do this.    Another level of gestural control.  :D

Damn, getting geeked just thinking about trying this idea/method out this weekend.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 06:06:52 PM »
All??  :D
Very cool.   I just got an Ensoniq VFX-sd delivered today, getting ready to go home and try using the polyAT with the OB-6, and now I'm wondering if the Tempest could be used as a polyAT controller with the MPC mention.  Makes sense it would.

The main thing I've been finding limiting is for example, how down a bass note, then a chord an octave up or so.  Now with the channel AT, I can't use aftertouch to individually sweep the filters (or modulate whatever), so if I want my bass note to modulate (like a filter freq. warble or something), but my chord to not modulate, can't be done.  But polyAT, should be able to do this.    Another level of gestural control.  :D

Damn, getting geeked just thinking about trying this idea/method out this weekend.

On most of the Ensoniq keybed / keyboard processor assemblies, there is a rotary pot that adjusts sensitivity for the poly aftertouch; you may find that there's a happy medium as settings go that doesn't create false note triggers, yet gives you enough range to articulate individual voices without huge amounts of downward force.

The Service Manual says nothing about this trimmer, but it's there. (As always, mark it before you adjust it to a different value.)
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

buchlabum

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 06:17:49 PM »
On most of the Ensoniq keybed / keyboard processor assemblies, there is a rotary pot that adjusts sensitivity for the poly aftertouch; you may find that there's a happy medium as settings go that doesn't create false note triggers, yet gives you enough range to articulate individual voices without huge amounts of downward force.

The Service Manual says nothing about this trimmer, but it's there. (As always, mark it before you adjust it to a different value.)

Thanks for the info.  I'm assuming it's on a PCB inside.  I'll take a look when I can find my allen wrenches.  It feels like maybe whoever played it before me might have gotten annoyed with the AT and set it really tight.  I definitely have to push 2 or 3 times the pressure than my Pro2 for similar results.  But it's pretty cool hearing the notes react differently.  Not as wow as I thought it might be, but still pretty cool.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 06:26:43 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I'm assuming it's on a PCB inside.  I'll take a look when I can find my allen wrenches.  It feels like maybe whoever played it before me might have gotten annoyed with the AT and set it really tight.  I definitely have to push 2 or 3 times the pressure than my Pro2 for similar results.  But it's pretty cool hearing the notes react differently.  Not as wow as I thought it might be, but still pretty cool.

Yeah, the stock polyAT response requires some serious pressure. I found the trimpot by accident when I was stripping the TS-10 keybed down for its inbound cleaning (not a germophobe, but it's generally a good idea to clean stuff once in a while).

I'm pretty satisfied with the way it works with the Prophet-12, so I'd expect no less with the OB-6 (next on my list).
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

buchlabum

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 08:43:57 PM »
I found the settings in the system, soft1 seems to feel pretty good for now.  Just slightly harder to push than my Pro2, which is too squishy, so I may harden that AT up towards what I got set on the VFX now. 

The VFX is turning out to be one of my cheapest recent purchases, but one of the biggest changing of my workflow purchases.  Ironically, the K&M stand and risers I bought for it cost more than the synth.  Haha.

Finally got that VFX dream synth I saw in the store when I was buying my D-5 almost 30 years ago...and with some Oberheim sounds slaved.