Black Corporation PolyKobol Replica

Black Corporation PolyKobol Replica
« on: January 27, 2018, 05:48:41 AM »
Looks like Roman Filippov (formerly: Sputnik Modular) is working on another replicant after Deckard's Dream: a recreation of the RSF (= Ruben & Serge Fernandez) PolyKobol under the banner of the Japanese company Black Corporation he's now president of.

Original PolyKobol (1982/83):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H247bhAZOS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFaRidUmJuA
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:51:09 AM by Paul Dither »

Re: Black Corporation PolyKobol Replica
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 06:37:05 AM »
This looks more interesting to me than the Deckard's Dream exercise, to be honest–and its inspiration is truly unobtainium at this point (if not quite hard to maintain, as it is).
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 11:21:17 AM »
He is an interesting character in the industry, I predict that some of his replicants synths will turn out to be “modern classics” irrespective of the original instrument they were trying to clone. I (irrationally) ordered a DD a month ago and really hope he will succeed to create some great instruments.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:24:07 AM by Jan Schultink »

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 11:41:37 AM »
He is an interesting character in the industry, I predict that some of his replicants synths will turn out to be “modern classics” irrespective of the original instrument they were trying to clone. I (irrationally) ordered a DD a month ago and really hope he will succeed to create some great instruments.

Oh wow, congrats! Let us know how you like it. Did you order the effects module as well?

With his new company set up now and maybe a couple of future reviews, there might be a greater market for these (the DD and the PolyKobol). It seems to me that not many are yet aware of the products, which might be the reason they went to NAMM this year and also plan to attend Superbooth in May.

chysn

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 05:32:49 PM »
It's easy to be critical of the absurd number of re-issues out there, but Roman does choose interesting things to bring back to life. I can't say enough good things about the Sputnik Dual Oscillator, except that I'm disappointed he let Sputnik go. I understand it, though, as Sputnik was sort of tied down to the old Buchla aesthetic and circuitry, and he clearly wanted to branch out from that.

(Incidentally, for anybody who might be worried about getting orphaned Sputnik modules serviced, they were designed by Roman, but built at Darkplace Manufacturing in Portland; and Darkplace will get your Sputnik stuff spiffed up at a reasonable price.)
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 05:41:02 PM »
It's easy to be critical of the absurd number of re-issues out there, but Roman does choose interesting things to bring back to life. I can't say enough good things about the Sputnik Dual Oscillator, except that I'm disappointed he let Sputnik go. I understand it, though, as Sputnik was sort of tied down to the old Buchla aesthetic and circuitry, and he clearly wanted to branch out from that.

He certainly likes challenges. He was one of the first to bring the Buchla flavor to Eurorack and the CS-80 is certainly no small thing either to reconstruct. Same goes for the PolyKobol, which was not only a super rarity with only about 25 units that ever left the factory, but also based on the old SSM chips that had been used in the Prophet-5 up to rev. 2.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 10:24:37 PM »
Did you order the effects module as well?

Yes

It is all an interesting experience. While waiting for my built unit, I get to share all the ups and downs of people who are building one, plus updates on software glitches, hardware issues that get solved by the community, and people geeking out on oscilloscope diagram comparisons with the real thing.

Unlike most buyers, I am not after a perfect replicant (:-)) of the CS-80, but am interested in the very raw and powerful sound that this box seems to produce. Most videos that are out are by people who are not very experienced sound designers/musicians or people that just focus on imitating the Vangelis saws, but "in between the lines" you can hear something special. It is all a bit of a (calculated) gamble.

You see below how the community can get carried away sometimes:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BehTSEmHkcW/?taken-by=minigorille
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:37:08 PM by Jan Schultink »

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 03:41:09 AM »

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 03:06:31 AM »
Six months after ordering, the Deckard's Dream is sitting my desk (without the effects unit that is still in development). I need to learn this instrument and just did some preset browsing. Very raw and beautiful sounds, listening to it just with me adding a big reverb. There is something very useful having this slider interface. I will treat this not as a CS80 clone, but rather as an instrument in itself.

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »
Day 2: this instrument starts to grow on me. Comparing it to my other instruments:

The instant knob access of the Minimoog and the Juno 106
The raw massive sound of the Minimoog and the Xpander
Polyphony of the Juno 106 and the Xpander

The Deckard's dream hits it all.

LoboLives

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 01:51:38 PM »
I doubt we'll see any keyboard versions of either the Deckard's Dream or Kijimi. That's a shame. Although I totally see the point in desktop versions....I would also be nice for manufactures to offer a keyboard version as well...be it the Novation Peak or Deckard's Dream.

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 12:38:14 AM »
I doubt we'll see any keyboard versions of either the Deckard's Dream or Kijimi. That's a shame. Although I totally see the point in desktop versions....I would also be nice for manufactures to offer a keyboard version as well...be it the Novation Peak or Deckard's Dream.

I think it is 1) a cost issue. This is a very small company, with low production volume, sticking all components in a rack case is easiest (the back panel case is actually an afterthought the device is basically a front panel with exposed electronics in the back, and 2) this synth actually shines with a Roli or Linnstrument: harder to integrate.

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 10:31:06 AM »
The more time I spend with my DD, the more I like it.

All synth producers seem to think that the more features, modulation options, effects, the better the synth.

Instead, I think the raw/pure oscillator sound combined withe filter has the deepest impact on the synth's appeal. That, combined with the immediacy of easily accessible controls.

The DD is a the polyphonic Minimoog the world has been waiting for I think. I am 5% on the way of understanding this instrument when I write this.

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 03:06:51 PM »
Interesting that BC is doing a replica of a synth that no one ever seems to mention, but everything I've heard from the Polykobol tells me it should be in the ranks of the all time classics.

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 07:40:15 PM »

I think it is 1) a cost issue. This is a very small company, with low production volume, sticking all components in a rack case is easiest (the back panel case is actually an afterthought the device is basically a front panel with exposed electronics in the back, and 2) this synth actually shines with a Roli or Linnstrument: harder to integrate.

This might be an option for a keyboard version...https://www.gearnews.com/touchkeys-brings-mpe-piano-keyboard/