MEK version help

MEK version help
« on: January 26, 2018, 12:21:09 PM »
 Hi,

Im about to buy a MEK, and the seller listed it as PE upgrade but from the sound of it he doesn't seem so sure.

He says some of the knobs are encoders and some are pots. Is that true for the PE version?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: MEK version help
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 12:34:14 PM »
Hi,

Im about to buy a MEK, and the seller listed it as PE upgrade but from the sound of it he doesn't seem so sure.

He says some of the knobs are encoders and some are pots. Is that true for the PE version?

Thanks in advance for any help!

That's true. In the picture below, all knobs with a line on top are potentiometers, all knobs without a line on top are encoders. None of that had any influence on the sound.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:36:08 PM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 02:26:53 PM »
Also note that the PE conversion doesn't automatically mean the Prophet-style knobs were purchased as shown in the picture. Those are available separately, so it's possible to have the PE conversion with the smaller, all-black rubber knobs.

In that case, an easy way to tell is to turn the filter frequency knob and see if it spins endlessly or if it has approximately 300 degrees of rotation and stops at either end. If it spins endlessly it's an encoder, and the PE conversion was not installed. If it stops at either end it's a potentiometer and the MEK does have the PE conversion.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

buchlabum

• west coast synthesis please...
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 06:51:39 PM »
Do only the earlier Evolves have encoder issues?  I got MEK with encoders, I was worried some would be flaky, but they all seem to be fine as long as I don't try to spin them like a top.

I do like the pots on my Rev2 and Pro2, but should I wait until they start failing before I upgrade to the pots?  I was going to do it, but saw traces have to be cut and tiny SMT components are removed.  I'm not afraid of soldering, but don't want to break it by fixing it when it's not broken.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 07:49:45 PM »
Do only the earlier Evolves have encoder issues?  I got MEK with encoders, I was worried some would be flaky, but they all seem to be fine as long as I don't try to spin them like a top.

I do like the pots on my Rev2 and Pro2, but should I wait until they start failing before I upgrade to the pots?  I was going to do it, but saw traces have to be cut and tiny SMT components are removed.  I'm not afraid of soldering, but don't want to break it by fixing it when it's not broken.

It's a whole board replacement, not just components: https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/mono-evolver-keyboard-pe-conversion-kit/ and no traces need to be modified or cut, according to the instructions.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:53:13 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

buchlabum

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 08:20:15 PM »
It's a whole board replacement, not just components: https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/mono-evolver-keyboard-pe-conversion-kit/ and no traces need to be modified or cut, according to the instructions.

But this video, right around the 6 minute mark, shows him desoldering a SMT resistor from the voice board. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGrAF50ztvc

The rest looks easy, I was surprised how easy the Rev2 desktop's 8 voice expansion was, just need fingers and a screwdriver.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 10:48:46 PM »
Correct, the mainboard needs a cap and resistor removed, and then a jumper installed in place of the resistor. After that it's an OS update via MIDI and removing/replacing the panel boards with a screwdriver.

Not ever unit is guaranteed to experience poor encoders. Also it's possible the encoders were replaced since we offer that service too. Are the encoders detented (with soft click) or non-detented (smooth, no click)? If they are detented we've replaced them, and if they are non-detented they are original.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

buchlabum

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 12:58:00 AM »
Not ever unit is guaranteed to experience poor encoders. Also it's possible the encoders were replaced since we offer that service too. Are the encoders detented (with soft click) or non-detented (smooth, no click)? If they are detented we've replaced them, and if they are non-detented they are original.

They are the detented.  No problems with them so far.  But I do prefer how the pots feel on the rev2 and pro2.  But why fix it if it isn't broken, I'll hold off on the pots upgrade.  Thanks for the info on the difference between the encoders.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 02:27:27 PM »
If they are detented we definitely replaced them, with ALPS encoders so it's unlikely they'll fail for a long time.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 04:10:51 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like it is the PE upgrade, and i pulled the trigger. Just waiting for it to be delivered now  :D

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 02:52:02 PM »
Hi all,
I'm about to buy a mono evolver keyboard with some of its encoders acting up..
I found one at a nice price because of this issue.
I think about replacing the offending ones (or all at some point) with the ALPS branded ones.
Does anyone the exact type of encoder replacements I should use ?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 02:57:34 PM »
Contact DSI:

Phone: (415) 830-6393 x1
Fax (707) 286-5501
email: support@davesmithinstruments.com

dslsynth

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 12:11:19 PM »
I think about replacing the offending ones (or all at some point) with the ALPS branded ones.

To the best of my knowledge DSI offers this as part of their normal repair services. You can also opt for the encoder version which is more expensive but is a board replacement package sold in their shop.

New panel boards with pots:
https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/mono-evolver-keyboard-pe-conversion-kit/

All MEK items:
https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product-category/cat-mono-evolver-keyboard/
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 03:57:40 PM »
I got the synth because the price was too good to pass up but the problem is very severe.
Most encoders are vitually unusable so I definitely need to to do something about it.

I'm located in EU so I would prefer to avoid the shipping cost and waiting time involved sending my boards overseas.
The shipping costs alone (considering the amount of packaging required to ship the boards safely to US) would almost justify to get the pot replacement kit but I kind of like the encoders vs pots for that synth; I wouldn't mind properly behaving encoders at all.

At this point I'd like to try replacing the encoders myself and hope for the best.
I have somewhat dodgy encoders on my Blofeld too but they're not nearly as bad.They're just skipping a bit so I left them alone.

I contacted DSI ,hope I get a reply.

I really like the synth BTW, I'd love to be able to use it properly when this issue is addressed..
Right now I just touch a knob to select a parameter and then adjust the coresponding values with the increment/decrement buttons which needless to say is a royal pain..

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 08:48:43 PM »
The only other option is to clean the encoder housings with deoxit.  That should greatly improve encoder performance, but the problem will slowly return.

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »
I'm located in EU so I would prefer to avoid the shipping cost and waiting time involved sending my boards overseas.
The shipping costs alone (considering the amount of packaging required to ship the boards safely to US) would almost justify to get the pot replacement kit but I kind of like the encoders vs pots for that synth; I wouldn't mind properly behaving encoders at all.

I recently did just this, but instead opted to ship the encoder boards to DSI for service while I was travelling for work. In the end, the result would ultimately be better than having performed the work myself (as I've got a bench technician background).

The Mono Evolver Keyboard seems best suited to the encoders (I previously had the Desktop version), specifically for the 16-step sequencer.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 03:28:13 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 03:41:47 PM »
I sprayed the encoders with DeoxIT D5 and now they're all functioning fine.
What worked for me was spraying in the little opening on the front of the encoder where the top part meets the bottom (soldered part).
There is enough room for the fluid to get inside the encoder.
You know it's in there if you can see some oil surfacing round the shaft.

I had one or two that needed to be redone but now they're all working!
Only time will tell if this is a long term solution though..

BTW, DSI support responded within hours to my email and they've been of great help!
They've informed of their options (encoder replacement or pot upgrade) and also included the encoder type one should use as a replacement.

For anyone looking here's a link to the encoder type:
https://www.alps.com/prod/info/E/HTML/Encoder/Incremental/EC12E/EC12E2420801.html