Behringer Neutron Analog Synth

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Behringer Neutron Analog Synth
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 09:12:22 AM »
Features

◾Paraphonic synthesizer with authentic dual 3340 analog oscillators for insanely fat music creation
◾Pure analog signal path based on legendary VCO design to recreate classic sound performance
◾Semi-modular architecture with default routings requires no patching for immediate performance
◾Oscillator waveform control blends seamlessly between 5 shapes (tone mod, saw tooth, pulse, triangle, sine wave)
◾Individual pulse width / tone mod control provides ultimate sounds
◾Paraphonic mode allows both oscillators to be independently controlled
◾Flexible LFO with fi ve waveform shapes, MIDI clock sync, key sync and delay / fade in
◾Two analogue ADSR generators for modulation of VCF and VCA
◾Multiple stage analog delay based on legendary BBD (Bucket Brigade Delay) technology
◾Overdrive circuit adds rich analog warmth and edge to your sounds
◾Noise generator dramatically expands waveform generation
◾36 controls and 7 buttons give you direct and real time access to all parameters
◾Switchable, self-oscillating, multi-mode analog 12 dB/Oct VCF with dual output (e.g. LP+HP available on jacks) Utility functions including attenuators, multiples, slew rate limiter and summers for creative patching flexibility
◾32 in / 24 out jack matrix for an incredible amount of patching options
◾Patchable audio-rate sample and hold with glide for added creativity
◾Headphone output with dedicated level control
◾External audio input for processing external sound sources
◾Comprehensive USB/Midi implementation for connection to keyboard/sequencer
◾Designed and engineered in the U.K.

Price

The official price has not yet been confirmed by Behringer, but Guitar Center and Musician’s Friend have announced a price of $299 USD. The would be the same price as the Mode D. If the price is true, which we can’t say yet, Behringer would make the world of “semi”-modular Synthesizers very affordable for many musicians.

LoboLives

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 09:40:33 AM »
Features

◾Paraphonic synthesizer with authentic dual 3340 analog oscillators for insanely fat music creation
◾Pure analog signal path based on legendary VCO design to recreate classic sound performance
◾Semi-modular architecture with default routings requires no patching for immediate performance
◾Oscillator waveform control blends seamlessly between 5 shapes (tone mod, saw tooth, pulse, triangle, sine wave)
◾Flexible LFO with fi ve waveform shapes, MIDI clock sync, key sync and delay / fade in
◾Multiple stage analog delay based on legendary BBD (Bucket Brigade Delay) technology
◾36 controls and 7 buttons give you direct and real time access to all parameters
◾Switchable, self-oscillating, multi-mode analog 12 dB/Oct VCF with dual output (e.g. LP+HP available on jacks) Utility functions including attenuators, multiples, slew rate limiter and summers for creative patching flexibility

Price

The official price has not yet been confirmed by Behringer, but Guitar Center and Musician’s Friend have announced a price of $299 USD. The would be the same price as the Mode D. If the price is true, which we can’t say yet, Behringer would make the world of “semi”-modular Synthesizers very affordable for many musicians.

Decent.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 04:19:38 AM »
Features

Price

Nice price, nicely cloned 3340 ..... sounds, at least on Youtube, pretty good.

But honestly I believe Behringer is onto something here. If they keep quality up.

My move away from VST plugin sound sources to hardware devices over the last 3 years costs a lot of money. Even obtaining second hand equipment can still be rather expensive for a (not for profit ;-) musician. If I would have stuck with a VST only setup, it would be a factor 2 to 3 cheaper and sound wise not really matter that much (debatable of course) .....

What Behringer is doing is leveling the playing field between plugin and hardware based sound sources. Price level of 300 dollars/Euros for a hardware device is starting to compete with VST pricing (taking controller/computer aspects into account as well of course).

Interesting times  8) ;)
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 05:07:37 AM »
My move away from VST plugin sound sources to hardware devices over the last 3 years costs a lot of money. Even obtaining second hand equipment can still be rather expensive for a (not for profit ;-) musician. If I would have stuck with a VST only setup, it would be a factor 2 to 3 cheaper and sound wise not really matter that much (debatable of course) .....

What Behringer is doing is leveling the playing field between plugin and hardware based sound sources. Price level of 300 dollars/Euros for a hardware device is starting to compete with VST pricing (taking controller/computer aspects into account as well of course).

Interesting times  8) ;)

Consider the costs involved with maintaining a legacy PC or Mac to run obsoleted plugins (or ones that you have not paid to upgrade)...
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 06:09:41 AM »

Interesting times  8) ;)

Consider the costs involved with maintaining a legacy PC or Mac to run obsoleted plugins (or ones that you have not paid to upgrade)...
Very very true. Still running Windows XP in Ubuntu based Virtualbox to manage the Akai S5000 (ak.sys) - actually that is a lot of fun  :)

Behringer is lowering the entry point for getting into proper hardware synth based music production. Which, as far as I can see, is only a good thing.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

sharath83

• Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick our up.
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 07:03:55 AM »
Hi there,

I am looking forward to have a Analog Synth, never used one before, other than on VST. Am getting into Electronic music. Would you recommend to buy Behringer Neutron for a beginner? Or would you suggest any other to start with, with the same price range?

Gomjab

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 06:30:39 PM »
Hi there,

I am looking forward to have a Analog Synth, never used one before, other than on VST. Am getting into Electronic music. Would you recommend to buy Behringer Neutron for a beginner? Or would you suggest any other to start with, with the same price range?

I wish I could tell you but the one I preordered when they were first announced has still not shipped here in the states.  I have their Moog Model D clone and it is a lot of bang for the buck.  I liked the fact that the Neutron was something original and the demos sound cool.  Other than the new IK Uno there isn’t a cheaper path to an analog mono synth that I can think of.  And unlike the Uno you can grow it with other Eurorack hardware.

Hopefully I’ll actually have one in hand soon!

sharath83

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2018, 01:24:19 AM »

I wish I could tell you but the one I preordered when they were first announced has still not shipped here in the states.  I have their Moog Model D clone and it is a lot of bang for the buck.  I liked the fact that the Neutron was something original and the demos sound cool.  Other than the new IK Uno there isn’t a cheaper path to an analog mono synth that I can think of.  And unlike the Uno you can grow it with other Eurorack hardware.

Hopefully I’ll actually have one in hand soon!

Hi, Since the price is less compared to moog modulars (only comparing price here :) .... and since this would be my 1st semi-modular, i thought let me give it a try. I will check on new IK Uno and Model D clone.

So you preordered from within US or from the UK? And could i know when you preordered, did it had patch cables included with it?

Gomjab

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2018, 04:54:33 AM »
Wow your post on a dormant thread brought me good luck!  When I saw your post last night I was reminded how long it has been since I ordered with Sweetwater here in US. 

I got up this morning to this email:

“Thanks again for your order XXXXXXXX. We're excited to tell you that it's on its way! It was shipped on 9/13/18”

So I should have my Neutron by the weekend!  I think my Model D did come with a few patch cables.  I’ll report back when the Neutron arrives.

Gomjab

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2018, 11:42:13 AM »
So my Neutron arrived today.  Yes it does have patch cables. Six to be exact each about 12” long.  It also comes with the ribbon power cable if you want to mount it in a Eurorack case.

The oscillators and the filter sound great.  The fact it has an analog BBD delay and only cost me $249 (Sweetwater GearFest show price) is hard to beat as far as bang for buck goes.  It has more patch points than my Mother-32 and a total different vibe. I think they will compliment each other nicely.

sharath83

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2018, 11:01:59 AM »
So my Neutron arrived today.  Yes it does have patch cables. Six to be exact each about 12” long.  It also comes with the ribbon power cable if you want to mount it in a Eurorack case.

The oscillators and the filter sound great.  The fact it has an analog BBD delay and only cost me $249 (Sweetwater GearFest show price) is hard to beat as far as bang for buck goes.  It has more patch points than my Mother-32 and a total different vibe. I think they will compliment each other nicely.

Awesome! Congrats on finally getting the Neutron :) .... I did check with another person on Facebook, he mentioned the same, that he got 6 Patch cables, but he had to buy 6 more, though he mentioned 12 cables was not enough. With the combination of patch points, not sure exactly how much is required.

12" patch cables seems long, or is it 6"?

Am from Bangalore, India. I checked with Sweetwater, Guitar Center and Audio Images Corporation, who has this product for same price (USD 300), but if i get from US to India (via a friend of myne), the warranty is not valid. So, am also still checking with an Distributor here South India, yet to get reply on how much it's costing me.

Yup, i like Mother-32 too, am planning to get that next after Neutron.

Gomjab

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2018, 06:32:53 PM »
I just measured the cables. They are 13.5 inches tip to tip.  The Moog Mother-32 actually came with 6” cables but the Mother-32 does have a smaller patch bay.  Those cables lengths are fine if you are only going to be patching the Neutron to itself. You’ll want some longer cables to patch to other synths or modules.

sharath83

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2018, 08:25:55 AM »
I just measured the cables. They are 13.5 inches tip to tip.  The Moog Mother-32 actually came with 6” cables but the Mother-32 does have a smaller patch bay.  Those cables lengths are fine if you are only going to be patching the Neutron to itself. You’ll want some longer cables to patch to other synths or modules.

Hi Gomjab, finally through another person got an Behringer Neutron from UK, it was more pricey than US. I have Question, i have this Novation Launchkey midi, what type of cable is required to connect from midi to neutron? Am buyinthe usb and patch cables though, so with that need to buy the above am asking.

DRM

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2019, 01:02:47 AM »

One of my coworkers bought a neutron and I played with it briefly. However I thought the resonance on the filter was absolutely abysmal (in contrast to something like an IR3109). It appears it's 12 dB instead of the usual 24 dB, and it appears to be 2-pole instead of 4-pole? I suppose that would be related to why I didn't like it, but maybe I didn't spend enough time with it? I'd *really* like to hear a demo from someone else using the resonance on it for a different perspective.

I don't want to just say "the resonance sucks!" without hearing more of it.

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2019, 12:00:12 PM »
One of my coworkers bought a neutron and I played with it briefly. However I thought the resonance on the filter was absolutely abysmal (in contrast to something like an IR3109). It appears it's 12 dB instead of the usual 24 dB, and it appears to be 2-pole instead of 4-pole? I suppose that would be related to why I didn't like it, but maybe I didn't spend enough time with it? I'd *really* like to hear a demo from someone else using the resonance on it for a different perspective.

I don't want to just say "the resonance sucks!" without hearing more of it.

It's definitely a 2-pole (which means 12db for electronic theory reasons I've never learned) filter. I quite like it, especially paired with those oscillators, but these things are quite personal. Lots of people love Arturia's take on the Steiner-Parker filter, but to me it's just a harsh mess, and not at all as nice as the original.

The Sonic State review is good, and has a typical use of the filter with a bit of resonance here, followed by an examination of the filter: https://youtu.be/xfD8RmALHwQ?t=483
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!