Behringer Neutron Analog Synth

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Shaw

Re: Behringer Neutron Analog Synth
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 09:54:38 AM »
Interesting.  At least they aren't cloning something.  Good for them! 
I fear it has a Eurorack patch panel on the right hand side (I only say fear because I am sworn off EuroCrack for the sake of my retirement account).

"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 09:57:17 AM »
Usually you do not need to use a patchbay if you do not want to, even if it's there... I bet that if it does have it, it will still be semi modular... it sounds pretty good though... rough and edgy analog like... a little "dirty"... :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 10:04:16 AM »
This is an earlier teaser shot... it's clearly the same synth, so you're right... Patching ad libitum...

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 07:11:32 PM »
Hmm, it has a very familiar sound.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 04:09:33 AM »
It's familiar maybe because in another video from today, beneath the oscillator tuning knob it says "3340 Oscillator" ... it seems that Benringer meant it when they said they would clone the Curtis chips... this is probably the first product to use them... more competition for DSI... I like it he he :D

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 04:11:10 AM »
I fear it has a Eurorack patch panel on the right hand side (I only say fear because I am sworn off EuroCrack for the sake of my retirement account).

And thus, you were wrong on that one ;) ,,, they cloned the Curtis oscillator for a start... time will tell if they also cloned others as well :)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 04:12:28 AM »

Shaw

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 04:41:07 PM »

And thus, you were wrong on that one ;) ,,, they cloned the Curtis oscillator for a start... time will tell if they also cloned others as well :)
Oh well....  they were more clever in their deceit this time... I will know better next time.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 05:12:59 PM »
The words are perhaps not entirely appropriate, but "pirate" and "scavenger" certainly come to mind.  I have a hard time respecting the method by which we're given these great deals on synthesizers.  If I were in the instrument business, I sure wouldn't appreciate this fellow plundering my designs.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 05:16:02 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 03:26:23 AM »
The words are perhaps not entirely appropriate, but "pirate" and "scavenger" certainly come to mind.  I have a hard time respecting the method by which we're given these great deals on synthesizers.  If I were in the instrument business, I sure wouldn't appreciate this fellow plundering my designs.

If they do not have the sole right to producing these chips anymore (which I assume they do not) because of time having passed, just like the MOOG ladder filter patent, then I really do not see the problem... there has to be a limit to how long people can keep on hoarding on their patents all by themselves... actually this is good for the customer who can now get that sound for a fraction of the price... Also, these chips were originally made to be used by many a companies for their synthesizers, that is the purpose of the chips... it is not Dave's patent, please remember that... he also used them extensively, and still do.

This "problem" is about only ONE THING; money, and "keeping it in the family"... I'm against capitalism and especially greed which tend to be the biggest problem of our time these days, with wealth being concentrated on fewer and fewer hands... releasing such a patent like this one allow for more people to "get in on the cake"... I like that.

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 12:52:47 AM »

AMEN to that!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 09:01:24 AM »
And then to play the altruistic knight in shining armor come to save "the people" from those big mean companies with their exorbitant prices.  In the end, who makes the money?  He does!  Pardon me, but I don't swoon at the song of the self-proclaimed hero of the common folk...who ends up at his bank with a deposit slip, just like all the others.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 09:07:13 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 11:01:23 AM »
And then to play the altruistic knight in shining armor come to save "the people" from those big mean companies with their exorbitant prices.  In the end, who makes the money?  He does!  Pardon me, but I don't swoon at the song of the self-proclaimed hero of the common folk...who ends up at his bank with a deposit slip, just like all the others.

I did NOT say that Uli is not like any of the other "rich dudes" taking your money... he's probably no better, and use people from the east to slave for his production just like so many other multinational companies... In fact my answer here had nothing to do with Uli at all, but rather the idear, that maybe it's time to let others benefit from DEAD PEOPLES famous creations? ...

I do not care shit if it's Uli, Dave or twenty other manufacturers that took the opportunity to be creative with these old patents and create what the users want, as long as more people can join in on the fun... it would allow for more competition which will end in better prices for the end user... not all musicians have their ass stuffed with money, and music hardware should not only be a rich man's opportunity... that's my opinion, and not up for discussion in any way.

So suddenly, all people that can only afford a Behringer synth, or someone who want something that only Behringer is producing because no one else is,  is suddenly a "self-proclaimed hero" !? .. *SIGH!*

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 11:25:43 AM »
Razmo, calm down.  My comments were not addressed to you, nor did I quote you or even consult your post.  They were motivated by Shaw's above realization, by an interview I watched with Behringer himself, as well as many comments I've read from people here and there.  He's been made into some sort of folk hero, and it makes me sick. 

If someone is going to make instruments based on other people's ideas, then at the very least, let them shut up about it.  In the end, everybody's making money, including Behringer.  I don't see the heroism in his approach. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 11:52:15 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 11:33:44 AM »
Besides I really do not see the problem... I know that Behringer (in the past) did some rip offs of other manufacturers current products... that was a lousy thing to do, I agree on that one, and any other product Behringer copies that is in production at other manufacturers at the same time is a bad move...

But cloning old vintage synths not available from the original manufacturers anymore, or chips that was intentionally made for others to create their instruments with (just like the Curtis chips was intended), I really cannot see a problem... the original companies no longer manufacture these, and obviously they do not want to, otherwise they would have done so long ago, as the demand has been there for a looooong time now.

Yes... MOOG has done a reissue of their Model D, and Behringer is currently making a "D", but even if the sound and layout is basically the same, the "D" is in module form, a feature that MOOG fails to provide, so I find that clone more than welcome where MOOG obviously do not deliver.

Behringer has a bad reputation from what they did back then, that seems to linger on forever with some people obviously, and if these people want to be offended for the rest of their life, then I could not care less... more and more people are beginning to see Behringer for what they are TODAY, and I find that to be a good move. They are not doing anything today that other companies are not doing as well.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 11:39:30 AM »
My point is, he's just another businessman who's found his niche for making money.  So be it.  I don't personally respect his approach because I greatly admire the design achievements of Moog, DSI, Roland, and so on.  What annoys me is how he's venerated at the expense of the other companies, as if he's the light and they're the darkness.  No, he's just another clever guy making money amid other clever guys making money.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 11:48:27 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 12:00:37 PM »
Razmo, calm down.  My comments were not addressed to you, nor did I quote you or even consult your post.  My comments were based on an interview I watched with Behringer himself and many comments I've read from people here and there.  He's been made into some sort of folk hero, and it makes me sick. 

If someone is going to make instruments based on other people's ideas, then at the very least, let them shut up about it.  In the end, everybody's making money, including Behringer.  I don't see the heroism in his approach.

I don't really care what people think of ULI as a person (I'm definitely not a HYPE person)... I'm only interested in the products he makes, and in this thread we're talking about a new product from ULI which is as much a unique new synth, as any other out there... there is NOTHING cloned in it, it's a unique concept...

Yes, it may have a clone of the 3340 CEM chip... true... these chips was used A LOT in many instruments in the 80's and 90's, and was intended to be used by synth manufacturers... Behringer recreated an out of production chip for use with this synth, and frantically; if Behringer decides to release their chips for sale in the future, I would certainly qualify that as a "heroic act", as many manufacturers would want these available again... the Dark Energy 1 from Doepfer was discontinued exactly because Dieter could not get any new old stock of these chips.

So please... bash Behringer all you want, if they rip off other manufacturers current production runs... I'm 100% with you on that one... but when they release something like this, they should at least be complimented for it... just like you do with bad kids that suddenly behave nicely ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:05:02 PM by Razmo »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 12:09:35 PM »
Oh well....  they were more clever in their deceit this time... I will know better next time.

The thread included the above comment, as well as your remarks about capitalism - important additions to the discussion.  And I'm not bashing Behringer.  I'm only concerned about the way other companies are put down in light of him. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:51:56 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 12:56:36 PM »
new product from ULI which is as much a unique new synth, as any other out there... there is NOTHING cloned in it, it's a unique concept...

So B-word are evolving their innovation process by progressing from one to multiple inspiration sources?

. o O ( :o :o :o )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature