String machines

LoboLives

String machines
« on: July 19, 2017, 03:13:25 AM »
Do you think we'll ever see a return or at least a one off of an analog string machine again? I know Waldorf brought out a digital module emulating the sounds of it but I mean Korg's ARP department bringing out a new Solina or something.

There's something really interesting about those Crumar, Elka and Logan string/orchestra machines. They have a really strange sound to them that I really dig.

Re: String machines
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 06:06:32 AM »
Do you think we'll ever see a return or at least a one off of an analog string machine again? I know Waldorf brought out a digital module emulating the sounds of it but I mean Korg's ARP department bringing out a new Solina or something.

There's something really interesting about those Crumar, Elka and Logan string/orchestra machines. They have a really strange sound to them that I really dig.

The Streichfett is not perfect (e.g., octave notes duplicate the underlying pitches, unlike a true divide-down network might), but it sure sounds pretty good. With external effects, it hits well above its price point.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 07:42:01 AM »

I've often wondered about, and wished for, the same thing.  I'd really like to have again one of those classic string synthesizers.  But their outstanding weakness is that they're basically one-trick-ponies.  Today, a synthesizer has to offer a bit of everything.  Perhaps a stringer with a few other decent-quality sounds could make it in this age of re-issues.  A Korg ARP Omni or a Korg Elka Rhapsody would be wonderful, though quite limited in appeal.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:42:15 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:04:13 AM »

The Streichfett is not perfect (e.g., octave notes duplicate the underlying pitches, unlike a true divide-down network might), but it sure sounds pretty good. With external effects, it hits well above its price point.

My word, do they ever!  I bought one recently and it's almost put the Blofeld out of work.  Bung it though a 4Pole with some analogue drums behind it and it's 808State sans the rainforest samples and sax-e-mo-sizer.  I've yet to put it through any of my synth's external ins, though it should be a bit of fun through an Evolver.  I'm not too sure how nicely a band-pass would go over it but a high-pass should work well.
The onboard reverb and phaser are nice though can be too much together but Waldorf mention this in the manual, the strange people they are.
After passing it thought the 4Pole I started pining for an analogue machine but then remembered, I have no room for one.....

They have some idiosyncrasies that some won't like, such as this odd aliasing in the release which seems might be Waldorf's idea of replicating the noise inherent in old (and some new) electronics.  I like it much better than hiss.  If I have to criticise, the wavetable could be wider so sweeping was smoother.

I've often wondered about, and wished for, the same thing.  I'd really like to have again one of those classic string synthesizers.  But their outstanding weakness is that they're basically one-trick-ponies.  Today, a synthesizer has to offer a bit of everything.  Perhaps a stringer with a few other decent-quality sounds could make it in this age of re-issues.  A Korg ARP Omni or a Korg Elka Rhapsody would be wonderful, though quite limited in appeal.

I like having a small device that does one thing well, so that wouldn't phase me if it was a small device (anything without a keyboard really).

Korg seem to be following the crowd with their neo-analogue range.  We might get lucky, but if they make a Volca Strings, just remember to budget for a gate also  ;)

Akai abandoned their analogues it would appear, which is unfortunate.  I could imagine them doing something quirky like a string machine, given the disco drums box they made that was so unsuccessful, I missed-out on getting one new before it as discontinued. Now have to wait for them to appear 2nd for a bit less than 50 bucks off retail, like the few that are about are going for (I'll need another gate when I do get one).

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 02:40:18 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the string machine, the sound of at least! I have access to a Solina in Berlin that I record with once in a while. Same guy has a Mellotron, and working with the real deal certainly pulls me away from my GForce versions of both instruments. But I'd be hard pressed to justify actually buying an old Solina or Omni etc. I've moved my studio into a smaller music room, and am getting tapped out for space.I keep trying to check out the Waldorf at JustMusic, but it's never hooked up to a keyboard and I can't be bothered to ask for assistance. Still, it's always in mind and I've heard many people rave about them. But yeah - if someone were to reissue something like the Solina, I'd guess it wouldn't be full-size and maybe I'd be unable to resist. The string machine sound has never been a side-dish for me - it can sit in the middle of the plate anytime.

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 03:17:28 AM »
I think Korg is really wasting the ARP brand. They could easily put out a limited run of Solina or even a Chroma or Quadra under that brand name. It just seems to be stuck in a hamster wheel with the Odyssey.

Mr Kay

• The Disease
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 03:28:47 AM »
The Streichfett is cool for the money, but I sold it because the strings sounds I programed on my P'12 sound beefier : on the Evolvers and the P'12, you've four delay lines and modulating them, you can program a decent chorus ensemble effect, the main element for string machine sounding.

https://soundcloud.com/thedisease/prophet-12-old-school-sounds-part-3

With an external spring reverb :
https://soundcloud.com/thedisease/interlude

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 10:07:41 PM »
How does it go emulating a frequency divider chip?  Waldorf don't, really, but they have a weird way at faking it.  Sometimes it will sound like the same chord on the root, third and fifth, depending on the chord (major obviously there).  I've notices in those cases it's due to it changing octaves for some reason for some of the notes.

Really lovely sounds in your P12 string demo.  Was that a Flock of Seagulls homage in the first phase of the piece?  The more I hear of that synth, the more I think I might end up with one!

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 06:18:09 AM »
I think Korg is really wasting the ARP brand. They could easily put out a limited run of Solina or even a Chroma or Quadra under that brand name. It just seems to be stuck in a hamster wheel with the Odyssey.

Yes - there's a host of things they could be doing with that; a Quadra would be exceptionally cool.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 07:50:46 AM »
A Quadra would be exceptionally cool.

Hear, hear!

LoboLives

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 04:03:01 AM »
A Quadra would be exceptionally cool.

Hear, hear!

If I were managing Korg I would be putting the R&D money into the ARP brand and doing the Quadra instead of doing yet another stage piano.