The Assimil8r sampler

LoboLives

The Assimil8r sampler
« on: January 25, 2018, 07:55:24 PM »
Would love to see a collaboration between both Daves.

https://youtu.be/wkXqdpy5uSk

Re: The Assimil8r sampler
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 03:32:07 PM »
Would love to see a collaboration between both Daves.

https://youtu.be/wkXqdpy5uSk

That would be a great partnership!
Emulator V2018?
Tim

Shaw

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 03:52:29 PM »
That would be an interesting voice for sure. Put the DSI mod matrix on top of that... wow!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 05:43:57 PM »
I love the fact you can dial in how much aliasing you want. Something DSI should implement if they ever do another digital synth.

In either case I'm thinking of possible names.

Sequential Imitator?

Sequential Doppelganger?

Sequential Mimic?

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 06:58:54 PM »
This is really making the Eurorack look like my next adventure....

Shaw

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 07:08:59 PM »
You’re a brave, brave soul....
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 03:02:47 AM »
I love the fact you can dial in how much aliasing you want. Something DSI should implement if they ever do another digital synth.

In either case I'm thinking of possible names.

Sequential Imitator?

Sequential Doppelganger?

Sequential Mimic?

If Dave Rossum was to collaborate with Dave Smith Instruments then calling any possible sampler into the future the "Emulator V" would be ok with me.

Without knowing the full details of the Assimil8r module (Notwithstanding the youtube from NAMM) it appears to be a great front end which could match up to DSI analogue VCF/VCA's and the brilliant DSI mod matrixes.

That's a sampler I would trade up the Korg Microsampler for !   :P

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 03:33:10 AM by timbo74 »
Tim

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 04:46:37 AM »

Ugh I'm so tempted to go modular....but there's no end to the thing. Sure 3 Moog Mother 32s are nice...but why not 6? While you are at it...why not 3 Moog DFAM attached to those? But why settle for just the Moog sound? Why not add some Doepfer in there...well why not add an Assimil8or in there for sampling? Why not add...

You see! You see! It doesn't end.

Although to be fair 6 Mother 32s and 3 DFAM modules all in one system would be incredible.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 04:38:11 PM »

Ugh I'm so tempted to go modular....but there's no end to the thing. Sure 3 Moog Mother 32s are nice...but why not 6? While you are at it...why not 3 Moog DFAM attached to those? But why settle for just the Moog sound? Why not add some Doepfer in there...well why not add an Assimil8or in there for sampling? Why not add...

Although to be fair 6 Mother 32s and 3 DFAM modules all in one system would be incredible.

Yes and no.  No GF right now helps with getting carried away, but I think if I just build the sampler I want, I can leave it at that.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 07:48:55 PM »

It's not as if you can't control yourself.  I mean, you're not insane. right?  You can say to yourself at the proper point, "enough is enough".  You have to do it all through life.  Why should this be different?  Modular is such a great option these days, and you shouldn't pass it up - if it would serve your musical interests - simply because some people get carried away with it.

chysn

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 08:24:09 PM »
It's not as if you can't control yourself.  I mean, you're not insane. right?  You can say to yourself at the proper point, "enough is enough".  You have to do it all through life.  Why should this be different?  Modular is such a great option these days, and you shouldn't pass it up - if it would serve your musical interests - simply because some people get carried away with it.

Exactly. I stopped at 144HP a year and a half ago and haven't expanded. I don't feel like I need more, much less much more. I've refined my module selection over time, but it's a pretty slowly-changing dimension, and I need a compelling reason to change anything.

That said, an Assimil8or will need a lot of support to take full advantage of its capabilities. A granular synthesis module like Clouds or Morphagene is pretty modulation-hungry; and Assimil8or--with 24 CV inputs and 8 gate inputs--will need even more, not to mention mixers for input and output, and optionally one or more synth voices to have something to actually sample. So, I'd say if you go down the Assimil8or road, you're in for a big project, regardless of your overall will to limit the size of your system.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Shaw

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 04:58:57 AM »

LoboLives

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 07:35:47 AM »
LOL Just joking around guys.

Just trying to figure out what system I should get.  There's a lot of options.
Synthesizers.com
Doepfer A-100 System
or that custom Moog "Mothership" system (6 Mother 32s and 3 DFAMs)

chysn

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 08:33:17 AM »
They're all pretty good, it's hard to go wrong.

But except, I don't get why anyone would want six Mothers-32. They sound great, but that's an awful lot of same. But like you said, there are a lot of options for that money. The Dotcom Studio-44 is probably as Moogy as you'd ever want at $5500, or you could get a Make Noise Black and Gold Shared System, or one of those new upcoming Foxtone-era Buchla Music Easels. If you put those four options in front of me, I'd run off with the Make Noise, but diversity makes the world go 'round.

I like the eurorack because it's a beautiful balance of old-timey cloned circuits and out-of-nowhere innovation. You can have whatever you want, or discover things that you never knew you'd want.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 09:05:54 AM »
They're all pretty good, it's hard to go wrong.

But except, I don't get why anyone would want six Mothers-32. They sound great, but that's an awful lot of same. But like you said, there are a lot of options for that money. The Dotcom Studio-44 is probably as Moogy as you'd ever want at $5500, or you could get a Make Noise Black and Gold Shared System, or one of those new upcoming Foxtone-era Buchla Music Easels. If you put those four options in front of me, I'd run off with the Make Noise, but diversity makes the world go 'round.

I like the eurorack because it's a beautiful balance of old-timey cloned circuits and out-of-nowhere innovation. You can have whatever you want, or discover things that you never knew you'd want.

I think because with that amount of Moog Mothers it's a much more affordable Moog system than either their own or the Dot Com stuff. I mean that's pretty much 9 sequencers with 9 different patches. Pretty versatile.

chysn

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 11:08:07 AM »
I think because with that amount of Moog Mothers it's a much more affordable Moog system than either their own or the Dot Com stuff. I mean that's pretty much 9 sequencers with 9 different patches. Pretty versatile.

There's no question that the Mother-32 is a good value for the sum of things you get. But the law of diminishing returns definitely applies here, implying a point at which tacking on another Mother-32 doesn't add $600 worth of value.

Factors that make this so include the general crappiness of the Mother-32's sequencer*, the awkwardness of handling power for multiple Mothers-32, the uselessly-voltage-drooping buffered multiple which makes it difficult to move pitch CV around, the proliferation of MIDI jacks. In short, despite Moog's marketing, it's not designed to integrate well with others of its kind. I think the best practical Mother system is probably three devices (that is, 3 Mothers-32, or 2 Mothers-32 and one BFAM).

After that, you're better off with other stuff, in my opinion. Like a good set of utilities, a functional sequencer, ASDRs (if that's your thing). The Mother-32 is just too striking in its shortcomings to lean on it so completely.

* Specifically: it can't be disconnected from the sound engine to be used as a modulation source, it requires memorization of a ridiculous number of cumbersome two-handed key combinations, it's hard to sync with other Mother-32 sequencers, etc.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

dslsynth

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 01:09:26 PM »
That said, an Assimil8or will need a lot of support to take full advantage of its capabilities.

Exactly why "someone" ought to make a modulation module with plenty of features and outputs. Things like LFOs and envelopes would be useful. A preset system to store multiple configurations would be cool too. Of cause some extensions may be required to progress DSI style modulation features into something that integrates well with the eurorack way of doing things.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

LoboLives

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 01:18:21 PM »

There's no question that the Mother-32 is a good value for the sum of things you get. But the law of diminishing returns definitely applies here, implying a point at which tacking on another Mother-32 doesn't add $600 worth of value.

Factors that make this so include the general crappiness of the Mother-32's sequencer*, the awkwardness of handling power for multiple Mothers-32, the uselessly-voltage-drooping buffered multiple which makes it difficult to move pitch CV around, the proliferation of MIDI jacks. In short, despite Moog's marketing, it's not designed to integrate well with others of its kind. I think the best practical Mother system is probably three devices (that is, 3 Mothers-32, or 2 Mothers-32 and one BFAM).

After that, you're better off with other stuff, in my opinion. Like a good set of utilities, a functional sequencer, ASDRs (if that's your thing). The Mother-32 is just too striking in its shortcomings to lean on it so completely.

* Specifically: it can't be disconnected from the sound engine to be used as a modulation source, it requires memorization of a ridiculous number of cumbersome two-handed key combinations, it's hard to sync with other Mother-32 sequencers, etc.

Was also looking at a Doepfer Basic System A-100. I've only seen one video where's it's used in musical context though instead of bleeps and boops. Sounds great though and now that Doepfer is offering polyphonic modules...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykyUr2nu-lI&t=26s

chysn

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 09:01:06 AM »
Exactly why "someone" ought to make a modulation module with plenty of features and outputs. Things like LFOs and envelopes would be useful.

If "someone" here means DSI, I don't see it happening. They focus on things that are sort of unique pieces of instruments that they've made, rather than on a complete synth. An LFO or EG would bore them to tears.

A preset system to store multiple configurations would be cool too. Of cause some extensions may be required to progress DSI style modulation features into something that integrates well with the eurorack way of doing things.

I think Intellijel pretty much nailed eurorack preset management with Tetrapad. You can save groups of voltages, switch between them with Pro-2-type strips, and even slew between configurations. If I ever expand my system, it will be for a Tetrapad.

Was also looking at a Doepfer Basic System A-100.

I used to have a pair of A-110 VCOs, and they're nice. Underrated, I think, if you want the saw core. Actually, every Doepfer module I've ever had has been solid as hell. And, hey, an A-100 system would let you support an Assimil8or.

And, to wrap back around to the actual topic of this thread... If you're interested in modular sampling, look into Morphagene, too. Dave Rossum is trying to bring the full computer-based sampler experience to eurorack, and the world needed that. But the Make Noise Morphagene (as does the earlier Phonogene, which I have) goes for an approach that can only be done in a modular ecosystem. Every single thing that a -gene can do can be put under CV control, and that makes them a lot of fun. Phonogene is low-fi and full of surprises, while Morphagene is pristine, stereo, and allows computer-based editing via an SD card.

I'm struggling mightily on the question of whether I want to "upgrade" to a Morphagene. But I love the Phonogene so much that that's the only move I'm willing to consider with respect to sampling in eurorack.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:12:31 AM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

dslsynth

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 01:58:20 PM »
If "someone" here means DSI, I don't see it happening. They focus on things that are sort of unique pieces of instruments that they've made, rather than on a complete synth. An LFO or EG would bore them to tears.

Well, I have stopped assuming DSI would build anything I personally find interesting. However, I do sometimes hope that such designs will happen. So maybe that "someone" is Someone Else (TM)? ;)

My point with a preset/modulation manager is that if one takes the oscillator, filter and amps out of their programmable synthesizers one gets such a CV controlling feature. So they got the expertise to make such a module and they are the right company for it.

I think Intellijel pretty much nailed eurorack preset management with Tetrapad. You can save groups of voltages, switch between them with Pro-2-type strips, and even slew between configurations. If I ever expand my system, it will be for a Tetrapad.

Neat module! https://intellijel.com/eurorack-modules/tetrapad/

I like this design. However, it does not seem to support LFO and Envelope type operations. Its more like a controller with some kind of voltage memory.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature