Polyphonic Sequenzer

Polyphonic Sequenzer
« on: January 21, 2018, 05:35:55 AM »
Hi there. Is there a way to start the polyphonic sequenzer on both layers? I have the problem that only one sequenzer starts playing depending on which layer is selected. The start and stop command comes from an external source via midi (Roland TR08).  Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 05:45:03 AM by gernotreininger »
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice

Re: Polyphonic Sequenzer
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 12:41:41 AM »
That's strange: In my setup both layers start their poly-seq simultaniosly, when I start the Arturia BSP, (as long as I don't disable that function in global settings).

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 02:52:53 AM »
Yes that's strange. I'll give it another try and if it doesn't work I'll hit up the support. Thank you!

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 10:47:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure I ran into a similar issue the other day. It was weird, it had been working normal earlier and then all the sudden, during the same session, it didn't. Only one layer's polyphonic sequencer would play, and if I switched layers and hit play on the other layer, then the first layer would stop and vice versa.

I was eventually able to solve the puzzle - it was user confusion - but I can't remember off the top of my head what I did to get it back to normal. I can double check later when I'm at the synth and figure it out again what I had done. But in the meantime, here's a clue for your investigation. I had gotten the synth in this state somehow by switching between layered and monotimbral modes and also switching between the poly and gated sequencers. Changing it back involved undoing whatever I had done when switching between the layered modes. I had a bunch of weird stuff going on with the rev2 that day, this issue was just one among other confusing and surprising finds, which is why I can't remember exactly what I had done.

For example, during this session I discovered that you actually *can* use the poly sequencer at the same time as the gated sequencers as long as it's being clocked with an external trigger/gate via the sequencer jack, which is how I usually jam. While the poly sequencer play button is lit, hit the sequencer mode button. Now it's in gated sequencer mode and you can edit them as usual, but the poly sequencer is still active.The poly sequence is stepped through with triggers, and the gated sequencers follow the midi bpm or midi key presses depending on your settings. I'm not sure if I'm, like, breaking the law, but it doesn't seem like something that would harm the synth by using it like this. That's just my uneducated guess though.

Another related finding from the same session - even in monotimbral mode, you can get the rev2 to play the poly sequencers of both layers - so the sequencers of both the active and inactive layers play the active layer's voice. In usual situations, you probably don't want that, though I can see potential uses. Anyways, somehow while playing with the first discovery, I got it into this mode and I think while I was trying to get it out of this mode that I somehow got the rev2 into the state where only one or the other poly sequencer would play.

I hope that all made sense and that it's helpful. Like I said, I can see if I can reproduce the situation later and figure out what I had done to get out of it.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 11:38:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing you findings! I am curious if you are able to reproduce the sequencer thing. Meanwhile I already hit up support. I'll check back when I got an answer.

jg666

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 12:14:12 PM »
Maybe a dumb question for me to ask but maybe worth asking :) it wasn’t a split patch rather than a stacked one was it?

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 06:25:36 PM »
Not a dumb question, but it doesn't make a difference, at least in the situation I ran into.

I retraced my steps and figured my situation from the other day out. This only happens when the seq pedal mode under the global settings is set to either trigger or trig-gate. It happens regardless of whether the rev2 is actually receiving any gates or triggers, it's just that it only happens in those modes. I guess if your start stop and start are coming from midi, then probably something else is going on for you, since the sequencer doesn't respond to midi start or stop when in those modes. At least it doesn't for me. I hit play on the machine and it waits for triggers, but play doesn't turn on when it receives midi start/stop signals, even in slave mode.

So, if you have a patch that is in single layer mode, with both layers in poly sequencer mode and the rev2 in trigger or trig-gate mode, you can toggle between the layers and start and stop the sequences independently from each other, even start both playing at the same time. You can also switch from single layer to stacked or split mode while they're playing and they'll keep playing, following whatever state they were in in single layer mode. Normally, if the rev2 is set to normal or gate mode, you can't do that. The sequence will stop when you switch between layers or between single layer and stacked or split modes.

But, if you switch from single layer to stacked or split mode with only one layer’s sequence playing and the other's stopped, then only one sequence will play at a time while in stacked or split mode. If you stop that sequence, then the other layer’s sequence will start, so one of them will always be on.

All you have to do to get it back to normal is switch back to single layer mode and toggle between the layers and set both sequencers to either play or stop. It doesn’t matter which. When you switch back to stacked mode they’ll start and stop at the same time again.

So that was my deal, anyways.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 06:29:27 PM »
I used the word 'mode' 22 times in this thread, 23 now.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 11:39:28 PM »
Maybe a dumb question for me to ask but maybe worth asking :) it wasn’t a split patch rather than a stacked one was it?
I think it was a split patch....

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 11:40:03 PM »
I used the word 'mode' 22 times in this thread, 23 now.
😁

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 02:33:57 AM »
I did a test with the polyphonic sequencer. It starts  both layers in stack mode and one layer in split mode depending on which layer is selected.  I don't know if it is meant to work this way. Maybe an official from dsi is able to give an answer?
Thank you in advance.

jg666

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 05:35:36 AM »
I did a test with the polyphonic sequencer. It starts  both layers in stack mode and one layer in split mode depending on which layer is selected.  I don't know if it is meant to work this way. Maybe an official from dsi is able to give an answer?
Thank you in advance.

Indeed it’s the same for me which is why I asked my question above :) You can force both layer sequences to play if you press and hold the ‘Edit Layer B’ button so that it flashes.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 06:16:38 AM »
Thank you in advance.

Indeed it’s the same for me which is why I asked my question above :) You can force both layer sequences to play if you press and hold the ‘Edit Layer B’ button so that it flashes.
Great. Thank you!

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 09:59:14 AM »
Oh, that kinda makes sense actually. I suppose maybe they did it that way so one side of the split is sequenced while you play the other side with keys or whatever.