Is there a guide for creating your own patches on the Rev 2?

Is there a guide for creating your own patches on the Rev 2?
« on: January 19, 2018, 03:51:46 PM »
Hello,

I just purchased a Prophet Rev 2  8)
I'm enjoying myself so far but I was curious if there's a guide to learn how to start making your own sounds from scratch on the Rev 2?

jg666

Re: Is there a guide for creating your own patches on the Rev 2?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 07:58:41 AM »
Depending on how new you are to this sort of thing, you might find these tutorials about adifferent synth of some use?
I know it's a Roland synth but the basic principles are the same for all synths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1iK6drewCE&list=PL7R3vXgm51Bp5WXxSVDleadfbF5bc-IqI

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 09:13:58 PM »
 Thanks for the video. I was just curious if there was something specific to this board since it has a few additional feature most boards don't.

jg666

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 11:30:09 PM »
There is a Youtube video done by Paul Dither who is a moderator on these boards and a creator of some of the factory patches. This gives an in depth overview of the Rev2 features and controls etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqcE1OjWtZE
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 06:42:43 PM »
Deconstructing patches is a decent way to learn a synths bits and bobs.

Might be easier to visualise it all via one of the PC/Mac or iPad apps that connect to the rev 2 though than by using the misc button to touch everything.

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 04:52:58 AM »
Deconstructing patches is a decent way to learn a synths bits and bobs.

Might be easier to visualise it all via one of the PC/Mac or iPad apps that connect to the rev 2 though than by using the misc button to touch everything.

There's a PC or iPad app? 

buchlabum

• west coast synthesis please...
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 09:09:35 PM »

There's a PC or iPad app?

Works pretty well on my Mac with desktop Rev2.  Nice for storing patches.  If you work with a DAW, it's useful for running the Rev2 from the computer remotely via usb.  There's also a plugin you can use on midi tracks in your DAW to automate and track with the Rev2 via your DAW.  I mainly use the standalone editor. No ipad, but they have Windows and OSX versions.

http://www.soundtower.com/rev2/

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:13:04 PM by buchlabum »

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 04:23:10 AM »
I prefer the codeKnobs vst/AU for daw integration though personally.

buchlabum

• west coast synthesis please...
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 02:12:18 PM »
I prefer the codeKnobs vst/AU for daw integration though personally.

I didn't know about that one, thanks for the tip.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 04:19:21 PM »
Must say I’ve gotten my Prophet threads mixed up a bit. For the P12 I have both SoundTower and CodeKnobs version, not the Rev 2. 

I got The codeKnobs one for the P12 after my experience with the Rev 2 codeKnobs AU being so much more reliable than my P12 SoundTower plug. 

With codeKnobs I can even use the plug multiple times in a project and switch between which one is currently active.  I have no affiliation with them btw, just very pleased with it :)

For the OP, the iPad app is called Oracle btw.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 03:02:26 AM »
I believe I have posted this link already someplace in this forum, anyway this might help you. It certainly has helped me, especially in the beginning discovering the synth.

Filling in the patch sheet creates a familiarity with the architecture of the synth. I use those sheets together with the Soundtower editor to get an overview on the computer of all parameters. I then copy it down on the sheet and use this sheet as basis for fiddling with the controls. After a while you might not need the sheet anymore, but I still use them even after almost half a year playing the Rev2.

https://gezz.eu/tutorials/index.html
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 08:35:53 AM »
Thanks for sharing that Gerry. I think templates can be very helpful. Nice work.

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 09:36:08 AM »
Hi Gerry. Some days ago I wrote a pm to you. Have you received my message?
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 02:17:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice and help. I've been slowly learning the keyboard and made a few sounds of my own. Compared to my other synths the DSI is extremely precise.