KORG Prologue

LoboLives

Re: KORG Prologue
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2018, 11:46:21 AM »
I don't think the DSI sound and the Japanese analog sound are really comparable, or take each other's place....I think the prologue sounds awesome...really.  I think it would make a great contrast to the American sounding P6/OB6.  You have a few flavors of that sound, but only Korg has really delivered in the analog world for new stuff from the big 3 Japanese companies. 

But seriously, you're getting bitimbral 16 voice discrete vcos with what sounds like an awesome filter with a 3rd digital oscillator that can do fm/wavetables, awesome effects and analog comp...man, not a lot to dislike....it IS a good deal on the Prologue, and it looks to be very well built.  People want to put a VS. between DSI and Korg...I think they would compliment each other nicely!

Just like I think classic Roland anapolys compliment the American sounding Sequential and Oberheim sounds, I think this Korg would compliment them as well.

I will agree it does have it's own unique voice. I just wish you didn't have to purchase a whole new synth from switching from 8 to 16 voices. I just want 8 voices...but I also want five octaves...those sadists!
LOL!  I hear ya, but hey....if you want 8 voices just use the Layer mode...BAM!, 8 voice 6 oscillator per voice synth with 2 lfos ;D

LOL

« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2018, 06:40:39 PM »
By the way - did anyone notice the number of John Bowen-authored presets on the Prologue?  ;)
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2018, 02:52:16 PM »
After more and more demos from NAMM, I think the right attribute for my impression about the Prologue's sound would be "vanilla." Of course one still has to test synths in person, but as of now there's nothing that particularly draws me to it.

Having retrieved mine (16-voice) from Sweetwater earlier in the day, I'd have to admit that many of the presets are opinionated toward a more aggressive filter drive, though it is quite useful to have a 0% | 50% | 100% drive toggle switch.

The 12dB-per-octave filter response is quite smooth, including when overdriven / pushed into self-resonance, in a manner somewhat unlike the other *logues.

My gut instinct is that the Prologue will require a bit of time spent learning the under-the-hood features, in order to maximize its potential. And there's a lot there, even if you don't touch the hybrid oscillator (a rabbit hole, if you ask me).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:54:25 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2018, 02:29:53 PM »
Its main differentiating potential is something most users won't even bother with because: 1) most people who buy these instruments probably prefer tweaking via knobs 2) most users don't know how to program. At very least they should have a software interface like Serum that allows for both inputting algorithms and some kind of visual representation. It's kind of baffling who this is marketed towards, but again, I think the Korg/logue branding and voice count will do most of the selling.

LoboLives

« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2018, 07:32:32 AM »
I don't think the DSI sound and the Japanese analog sound are really comparable, or take each other's place....I think the prologue sounds awesome...really.  I think it would make a great contrast to the American sounding P6/OB6.  You have a few flavors of that sound, but only Korg has really delivered in the analog world for new stuff from the big 3 Japanese companies. 

But seriously, you're getting bitimbral 16 voice discrete vcos with what sounds like an awesome filter with a 3rd digital oscillator that can do fm/wavetables, awesome effects and analog comp...man, not a lot to dislike....it IS a good deal on the Prologue, and it looks to be very well built.  People want to put a VS. between DSI and Korg...I think they would compliment each other nicely!

Just like I think classic Roland anapolys compliment the American sounding Sequential and Oberheim sounds, I think this Korg would compliment them as well.

I will agree it does have it's own unique voice. I just wish you didn't have to purchase a whole new synth from switching from 8 to 16 voices. I just want 8 voices...but I also want five octaves...those sadists!
LOL!  I hear ya, but hey....if you want 8 voices just use the Layer mode...BAM!, 8 voice 6 oscillator per voice synth with 2 lfos ;D

LOL

You know...I laughed at this originally....but then I started thinking.....I'm going to try that in the store...with the Prologue and REV2.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2018, 08:09:04 AM »
People want to put a VS. between DSI and Korg

That part made me reread about 5 times before I read it as "verses" rather than "Vector Synth" lol

You know...I laughed at this originally....but then I started thinking.....I'm going to try that in the store...with the Prologue and REV2.

It is a tempting instrument.  I want to own another Korg synth that made me program with the same enthusiasm I did the M1 all those years ago, but I need my moneys for my modular sampling synth!

LoboLives

« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2018, 09:56:57 AM »
People want to put a VS. between DSI and Korg

That part made me reread about 5 times before I read it as "verses" rather than "Vector Synth" lol

It is a tempting instrument.  I want to own another Korg synth that made me program with the same enthusiasm I did the M1 all those years ago, but I need my moneys for my modular sampling synth!

I think for me I may be kind of spent on analog gear. I got a Tempest, a Moog Sub 37 and Prophet 6 with an Oberheim Two Voice Pro ,2 ARP Odyssey modules and Prophet REV2 on the way. As nice as it sounds I'm not sure how useful I would find getting another analog poly unless it offered multitimbrality or MPE or something different.

So my focus now is more sample based or digital (FM, Wavetable, VS) type tones.

« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2018, 10:39:34 AM »
As nice as it sounds I'm not sure how useful I would find getting another analog poly unless it offered multitimbrality or MPE or something different.

...which is exactly what the Prologue's Hybrid Engine could provide. The VPM option handles a good majority of FM options, and the wavetable model is built-in as standard.

And it wouldn't be impossible to create a simple user oscillator model with VS timbres, either.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:41:18 AM by DavidDever »

LoboLives

« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2018, 11:06:31 AM »
As nice as it sounds I'm not sure how useful I would find getting another analog poly unless it offered multitimbrality or MPE or something different.

...which is exactly what the Prologue's Hybrid Engine could provide. The VPM option handles a good majority of FM options, and the wavetable model is built-in as standard.

And it wouldn't be impossible to create a simple user oscillator model with VS timbres, either.

I think if it was more than a single digital oscillator I would go for it.

Korg Prologue - New Owner opinion.
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2018, 11:14:41 AM »
I have owned DSI Prophet 08' and Prophet 6 and currently own Korg Prologue 16.  Heres what i think.  DSI definitely has Korg on modulation, especially Rev2.   I was going to buy Rev2 - 16voice but i kept hearing people were having issues with voice cards.  I personally liked the Rev2 sound better than the Prophet 6 and im guessing its the Curtis filter. Sound wise Korg is very different from both of the above DSI synths.  Alot of the sounds on it are great and some will surprise you when you think its the Digital 3rd osc. and its actually the two Analog osc. by themselves.  Does that mean it sounds digital, certainly not.  The Prologues sound seems to be rich harmonically speaking.  The large majority of editing sounds via knobs is mainly done with what you see on the panel, unlike menu diving on a Kingkorg which i didnt care for.  I rarely have to enter the menu system on prologue except for Reverb type which annoys me to death. Dave has them beat on the layout of the effects setup.   I think Korgs reverbs are deeper sounding which i really like.  I dont think the extra $500 is worth it for the LF compressor which i rarely use but the 61 keys and 16 voices is worth it.  The Prophet 6 lacks in that respect.  An extra octave and 16 voices is a big difference.  The Prophet 6 does its thing and very well.  I would encourage everyone to try these instruments in person if possible because i bought the P6 based on sounds from videos on youtube and when i got it, it just wasnt me. Dave Smith seems like a really nice guy and i like his products. Everyone is trying to achieve different things with  these machines so listen to them in person rather than sh*tting on something youve never played on.  Music is supposed to be fun!

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
Re: Korg Prologue - New Owner opinion.
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2018, 08:19:58 PM »
Music is supposed to be fun!

Ah yes indeed it is, though there are many folks who treat it like sport with the teams being different instruments, instrument makers and genres.

Cheers for the informed opinion on the synths.  Now if only Korg would do a desktop version.  Not everyone has a keyboard tree nor the height to reach the top of a 3 tier and still play well.

Re: Korg Prologue - New Owner opinion.
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2018, 05:14:15 PM »
I was going to buy Rev2 - 16voice but i kept hearing people were having issues with voice cards.  I personally liked the Rev2 sound better than the Prophet 6 and im guessing its the Curtis filter.

The Rev2 doesn't have voice cards like the Prophet-6. What is it that you're hearing regarding voice issues?

The filters do sound quite different between the Rev2 and the P6, so that is likely what you're hearing.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2018, 02:26:35 PM »
So I sent the Prologue 16 back, after two weeks of putting up with unusual tuning gremlins in the lower octaves / random squawks in the middle range. It's just not yet ready for live performance, and surely not complete, in the QC sense of the word.

If those issues are resolved in the future, perhaps I'll consider a used 8-voice unit, but frankly, after some comparisons with other gear, the overall tone just isn't there (in spite of the differences due to the 2-pole filter). I'm purely speculating, but I think that the digital FX section is always in-circuit; that might account for the lack of headroom with more complex patches.

The spec is great, but the execution leaves much to be desired-which (as an aside) is going to make life somewhat complicated / "interesting" for the Korg USA folks, now that they're distributing Waldorf as well.

What I replaced it with, on the other hand...  ;) ...see profile change!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:29:32 PM by DavidDever »

« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2018, 03:22:30 PM »

NICE!  Congrats!!!

« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2018, 03:40:11 PM »

NICE!  Congrats!!!

Thanks–I've been lusting after an OB-6 as the missing link for a long time–with a Matrix-6 doing OB-bender duty (and serving as a five-octave controller + 12-voice DCO-based synth, in tandem with my Matrix-1000).

« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2018, 04:02:51 PM »

NICE!  Congrats!!!

Thanks–I've been lusting after an OB-6 as the missing link for a long time–with a Matrix-6 doing OB-bender duty (and serving as a five-octave controller + 12-voice DCO-based synth, in tandem with my Matrix-1000).

Sounds KILLER!  Cool setup, that will keep you busy lol, neat to have some old school OB controller action to use with the OB6.  Good sounds just seem to fall out of the OB6 pretty easily, and the dang thing is built like a tank too, sounds and looks purrrrrrrdy, and evil looking in the dark lol(when on obviously)!  Have fun!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 04:07:21 PM by John01W »

LoboLives

« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2018, 01:17:28 PM »

NICE!  Congrats!!!

I think a big miststep on the OB-6 was having the basic DSI pitch and mod wheels. It would have been so unique and refreshing to have the Oberheim Benders on that baby.

« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2018, 05:27:14 PM »
So I sent the Prologue 16 back, after two weeks of putting up with unusual tuning gremlins in the lower octaves / random squawks in the middle range. It's just not yet ready for live performance, and surely not complete, in the QC sense of the word.

If those issues are resolved in the future, perhaps I'll consider a used 8-voice unit, but frankly, after some comparisons with other gear, the overall tone just isn't there (in spite of the differences due to the 2-pole filter). I'm purely speculating, but I think that the digital FX section is always in-circuit; that might account for the lack of headroom with more complex patches.

The spec is great, but the execution leaves much to be desired-which (as an aside) is going to make life somewhat complicated / "interesting" for the Korg USA folks, now that they're distributing Waldorf as well.

Congrats on the OB-6 acquisition. Love mine to death. I've noticed that Sweetwater has your unit back on sale as a demo for $1799.99. "Demo" isn't the correct way to list this if it was malfunctioning as you say. Not too sure about them (sweetwater) now after this. Seems kind of shady on their part. Oh well.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2018, 06:23:42 PM »
I've noticed that Sweetwater has your unit back on sale as a demo for $1799.99. "Demo" isn't the correct way to list this if it was malfunctioning as you say. Not too sure about them (sweetwater) now after this. Seems kind of shady on their part. Oh well.

They had that one available before I returned mine, though.

« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2018, 11:15:57 AM »
I've noticed that Sweetwater has your unit back on sale as a demo for $1799.99. "Demo" isn't the correct way to list this if it was malfunctioning as you say. Not too sure about them (sweetwater) now after this. Seems kind of shady on their part. Oh well.

They had that one available before I returned mine, though.

I take it back then. Thanks for letting me know.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)