KORG Prologue

LoboLives

Re: KORG Prologue
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2018, 07:03:34 PM »
The third user Osc3 is a cool idea but it seems to be a bit of an afterthought really.

You think so? See, I thought the third oscillator was the whole shootin' match, the reason that somebody would buy the thing. The analog side is nice, but simple, and the digital oscillator is what sort of gives it some complexity.

Word.  And is sort of a way to gauge if Korg should go the noodler's route I would think.  Obviously there is a market for synths that are aimed at synth nerds (who don't have modulars) but to aim directly at them would be silly for Korg to do until they know that the customers will buy them in quantities that will bring in revenue.  Who knows we might get another Wavestation-esque beast out of them in a year of so if the interest is there.

See for me that basically means they’ve squeezed it in there as an experiment rather than a fully thought out concept. I appreciate it but I’d rather have seen the concept by itself in a stand-alone smaller synth. I know they wanted to test the waters but it seems more like an idea rather than finalized concept hence the waiting time until Spring.

Honestly if the concept was finalized now and they released a Wavestation type synth instead of the Prologue I wouldn’t care if there was aftertouch or not because it would be so different and I think that’s what a lot of synth heads would have scrambled for because it would have been so different than anything else. I know they are unsure of the market but $2599 for a basic analog synth isn’t going to really draw beginners because of the price and isn’t going to interest synth heads that much because the competition offers more for the money.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:09:27 PM by LoboLives »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2018, 07:29:44 PM »
Then you must be impressed with the Waldorf Quantum.  Surely, that's different and a finalized concept.

Shaw

« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2018, 07:33:45 PM »
Then you must be impressed with the Waldorf Quantum.  Surely, that's different and a finalized concept.
Different, yes. Finalized?  Well... it is Waldorf so...  ::)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2018, 07:45:47 PM »
That's true.  Bugs galore.

Shaw

« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2018, 07:48:02 PM »
That's true.  Bugs galore.
The Waldorf faithful call those “features”.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2018, 07:54:34 PM »
I guess they're optimists.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2018, 01:09:26 AM »
The third user Osc3 is a cool idea but it seems to be a bit of an afterthought really.

You think so? See, I thought the third oscillator was the whole shootin' match, the reason that somebody would buy the thing. The analog side is nice, but simple, and the digital oscillator is what sort of gives it some complexity.

Word.  And is sort of a way to gauge if Korg should go the noodler's route I would think.  Obviously there is a market for synths that are aimed at synth nerds (who don't have modulars) but to aim directly at them would be silly for Korg to do until they know that the customers will buy them in quantities that will bring in revenue.  Who knows we might get another Wavestation-esque beast out of them in a year of so if the interest is there.

See for me that basically means they’ve squeezed it in there as an experiment rather than a fully thought out concept. I appreciate it but I’d rather have seen the concept by itself in a stand-alone smaller synth. I know they wanted to test the waters but it seems more like an idea rather than finalized concept hence the waiting time until Spring.

Honestly if the concept was finalized now and they released a Wavestation type synth instead of the Prologue I wouldn’t care if there was aftertouch or not because it would be so different and I think that’s what a lot of synth heads would have scrambled for because it would have been so different than anything else. I know they are unsure of the market but $2599 for a basic analog synth isn’t going to really draw beginners because of the price and isn’t going to interest synth heads that much because the competition offers more for the money.

Yes, a small synth like a minKorg would have been a great way to introduce the concept.  And yes I guess your are right, the newb isn't going to be spending a lot to learn about big synths.

Different, yes. Finalized?  Well... it is Waldorf so...  ::)

Oh dear, if it wasn't so true....LOL

LoboLives

« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2018, 04:30:23 AM »

For me the Quantum seems to be a jack of all trades and master of few. I haven't been impressed with any of the demos and the concept seems to try and focus on too many concepts without perfecting one. Just do a nice big blue Waldorf Wave 2 and be done with it.

Also how in the hell can the Quantum have no FM and how can it only be bitimbral? You are telling me the Blofeld is more powerful than the Quantum?

« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2018, 09:04:57 AM »
Also how in the hell can the Quantum have no FM and how can it only be bitimbral? You are telling me the Blofeld is more powerful than the Quantum?

Over in the Quantum thread there's a video that features an extensive feature overview, just the basics though. I think a lack of features is not really what the Quantum is about.

« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2018, 09:14:37 AM »
After more and more demos from NAMM, I think the right attribute for my impression about the Prologue's sound would be "vanilla." Of course one still has to test synths in person, but as of now there's nothing that particularly draws me to it.

Shaw

« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2018, 09:18:41 AM »

Over in the Quantum thread there's a video that features an extensive feature overview, just the basics though. I think a lack of features is not really what the Quantum is about.
After hearing Waldorf's design strategy for this synth, I get the no FM.  They wanted to do something new.  Sure they included Wavetables and VA -- both of which are clearly in Waldorf's wheelhouse, but on top of that they've done a resonator (which can be fed by ANY sample / wave content) and granular / traditional sampler. 
I'd say they've built a monster.
Bi-timbral also doesn't bother me.  It's not a workstation. And these days, I think, most people use a DAW for multi-timbrality.  "Most people".  That certainly doesn't mean I'm criticizing anyone who doesn't. I admire people who want to have 8 parts going live and can keep up.  My head simply can't move that fast!
With 8 voices, I probably wouldn't even use the bi-timbrality much, except for perhaps a 7 voice patch and a mono arpeggiated patch on top of it (which the Quantum allows for, if I heard them correctly).

Shaw

« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2018, 09:20:09 AM »
After more and more demos from NAMM, I think the right attribute for my impression about the Prologue's sound would be "vanilla." Of course one still has to test synths in person, but as of now there's nothing that particularly draws me to it.
Maybe French Vanilla, but I haven't heard anything to make me prefer it over a Rev2.

« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2018, 09:23:21 AM »
Maybe French Vanilla, but I haven't heard anything to make me prefer it over a Rev2.

Nah, just vanilla. And yes, at its price point and with its synthesis features the Rev2 runs circles around the Prologue, at least as far as the analog side goes.

Shaw

« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2018, 09:32:48 AM »
Nah, just vanilla. And yes, at its price point and with its synthesis features the Rev2 runs circles around the Prologue, at least as far as the analog side goes.
True. There's no comparison there.
I would also imagine that a good number of people would consider the Prophet 12 over the Prologue. Even with it being 50% more expensive.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2018, 06:43:28 PM »

Though you must admit, Korg do vanilla really well.

Shaw

« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2018, 07:09:59 PM »

Though you must admit, Korg do vanilla really well.
Well-built, Japanese-tech vanilla....

netnik808

• Prophet 6, OB6, Moog Subsequent 37, ARP Odyssey
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2018, 07:33:04 AM »
I think the Prologue sounds interesting, especially with the digital oscillator and programable waveshaping combined with the analogue oscillators. The VCOs also sound good to me (16 is nice). I do wish it had a second LFO, aftertouch and a sequencer but I understand they were trying to get the price down. Nevertheless, if I didn't have an analogue polysynth I would probably spend a little extra for a prophet 6 as it just sounds a little better to my ears (plus has a sequencer and aftertouch). I already have a Prophet 6 though (and an OB6 module) so I probably won't buy the Prologue, but I'm still considering.
Nicholas Long

« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2018, 09:23:22 AM »
I don't think the DSI sound and the Japanese analog sound are really comparable, or take each other's place....I think the prologue sounds awesome...really.  I think it would make a great contrast to the American sounding P6/OB6.  You have a few flavors of that sound, but only Korg has really delivered in the analog world for new stuff from the big 3 Japanese companies. 

But seriously, you're getting bitimbral 16 voice discrete vcos with what sounds like an awesome filter with a 3rd digital oscillator that can do fm/wavetables, awesome effects and analog comp...man, not a lot to dislike....it IS a good deal on the Prologue, and it looks to be very well built.  People want to put a VS. between DSI and Korg...I think they would compliment each other nicely!

Just like I think classic Roland anapolys compliment the American sounding Sequential and Oberheim sounds, I think this Korg would compliment them as well.

LoboLives

« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2018, 10:12:05 AM »
I don't think the DSI sound and the Japanese analog sound are really comparable, or take each other's place....I think the prologue sounds awesome...really.  I think it would make a great contrast to the American sounding P6/OB6.  You have a few flavors of that sound, but only Korg has really delivered in the analog world for new stuff from the big 3 Japanese companies. 

But seriously, you're getting bitimbral 16 voice discrete vcos with what sounds like an awesome filter with a 3rd digital oscillator that can do fm/wavetables, awesome effects and analog comp...man, not a lot to dislike....it IS a good deal on the Prologue, and it looks to be very well built.  People want to put a VS. between DSI and Korg...I think they would compliment each other nicely!

Just like I think classic Roland anapolys compliment the American sounding Sequential and Oberheim sounds, I think this Korg would compliment them as well.

I will agree it does have it's own unique voice. I just wish you didn't have to purchase a whole new synth from switching from 8 to 16 voices. I just want 8 voices...but I also want five octaves...those sadists!

« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2018, 10:40:07 AM »

I will agree it does have it's own unique voice. I just wish you didn't have to purchase a whole new synth from switching from 8 to 16 voices. I just want 8 voices...but I also want five octaves...those sadists!
LOL!  I hear ya, but hey....if you want 8 voices just use the Layer mode...BAM!, 8 voice 6 oscillator per voice synth with 2 lfos ;D