KORG Prologue

eXode

KORG Prologue
« on: January 17, 2018, 10:54:22 PM »
KORG present the Prologue synthesizer!

16/8-voice analog synthesizer circuit.
Newly developed multi-engine equipped with three types: noise, VPM, and user.
High-quality digital effects.。
An open API (Application Programming Interface) for user-created oscillators and effects。
Newly developed L.F. COMP. (Low Frequency Compressor) analog effect (prologue-16 only).
Bi-timbre support.
Voice modes that allow voices to be flexibly recombined.
Arpeggiator equipped with a variety of types and range settings.
Program Sort allows rapid access to 500 programs.
Japanese-made high-quality natural touch keyboard.
Oscilloscope function shows the waveform visually.
Tough and stylish body made of aluminum and wood.
Sync with another groove machine to enjoy jam sessions.
Lineup includes a 16-voice 61-key model and an eight-voice 49-key model.

More info: http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/prologue/

eXode

Re: KORG Prologue
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 10:56:05 PM »
16 voice version

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 12:31:14 AM »
Looks like a nice do-it-all machine competing head on with the REV2. Sound cloud examples sounded nice. Looks very pretty. Quickly browsed the manual and could not find a way to sync the delay effect to a clock (the LFO can be slaved to BPM so it seems).

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 12:37:23 AM »
The example videos sound nice to me.

Will be interesting to see what the "expandable oscillator and FX engine" can do.

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 02:59:54 AM »
I do love the user interface and the VCOs do sound fantastic....but it seems to be lacking a bunch of modulation capabilities of the REV2 which it's in direct competition with price wise.

eXode

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 04:05:50 AM »
I do love the user interface and the VCOs do sound fantastic....but it seems to be lacking a bunch of modulation capabilities of the REV2 which it's in direct competition with price wise.

I'd say that it competes with Prophet 6/OB-6 as well.

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 04:28:24 AM »

I'd say that it competes with Prophet 6/OB-6 as well.

It does to a certain extent I suppose. Either way it seems a bit lackluster. Does it have aftertouch?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 05:44:48 AM »
Well, now I've heard it.  I'm not at all impressed with the Prologue.  The sound is thin and heavily veiled behind effects.  That "Runner Brass" patch?  My rickety old Prophet '08 would blow it to smithereens - never mind the Rev2.  And the "Simple Saw" patch sounds as if it's got chorus added, or else, one of the oscillators is being slightly and slowly modulated to emulate chorus.  The point is, it doesn't allow for an analytical listen to the sawtooth waveform.  Key track only 50-100%?  I need it by increments.  And the pads are drowned in enough reverb and delay to make even my falsetto voice sound lovely!  It sounds like another synthesizer that tells you what to do, rather than vice-versa.  The presentation reminds me of the Deepmind 12.

Obviously, the user oscillator is interesting, and perhaps the most outstanding part of the instrument.  The ability to crossfade between the two layers is also unique.  And I do like the appearance, although it's strangely familiar-looking....Otherwise, it doesn't strike me as being strong in any one department, but a mixed bag.     

I'm impressed that Korg has used full-sized keys and long keyboards.  That's a refreshing change.

By the way, exactly what does "stunning presence unlike any other poly synth" mean?  And why is Korg calling bi-timbrality "multi-timbrality"?  It makes you think more than two layers are available, whereas bi-timbrality is more to the point.

Boy, does this put me in the mood for a new DSI synthesizer.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:05:56 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 06:16:24 AM »
I don't think it's a bad instrument. If one didn't already have an analog polyphonic synth it's still a nice option for bread and butter stuff. The interface I really dig and the VCOs do sound decent but with the price point being what it is and with the other options on the market...it seems boring.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 06:22:35 AM »
I'm shocked that those are VCO's.  They sound to me like old DCO's.  Perhaps the recordings are only mediocre.

I would love to see DSI produce a magnificent Poly Evolver Keyboard revision that we could never forget.  This would be the time to do it.  Come on, fellas.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 06:32:17 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 06:51:12 AM »
Well, now I've heard it.  I'm not at all impressed with the Prologue.  The sound is thin and heavily veiled behind effects.  That "Runner Brass" patch?  My rickety old Prophet '08 would blow it to smithereens - never mind the Rev2.  And the "Simple Saw" patch sounds as if it's got chorus added, or else, one of the oscillators is being slightly and slowly modulated to emulate chorus.  The point is, it doesn't allow for an analytical listen to the sawtooth waveform.  And the pads are drowned in enough reverb and delay to make even my falsetto voice sound lovely!  It's the Deepmind 12 all over again.

I concur with regard to the overall sound. It has a thinner, sometimes even nasal quality (I don't mean the beautiful quality of BP filters by that), basically like the Minilogue, which of course shouldn't come as a surprise. Although I've heard some nice analog pads as well, the Rev2, Prophet-6, and OB-6 sound way more high-end. For a lack of a better expression, I find the Prologue to sound smaller and somewhat cheaper (as in: less luxurious) than DSI's poly synths. The quality of the effects seems to be nice, though. I wouldn't go as far as comparing this with the DM12, which basically only has 1.5 DCOs and offers way less substance in the raw sound department.

What I found really annoying about most presentations was the excessive focus on what I would rather call standard or elementary features, as if a company like DSI never existed. But I guess the lack of modulation options forces one to focus on less spectacular aspects instead. In that regard DSI is still miles ahead - even the rather simple Prophet-6 and OB-6.

Obviously, the user oscillator is interesting, and perhaps the most outstanding part of the instrument.  The ability to crossfade between the two layers is also unique.  And I do like the appearance, although it's strangely familiar-looking....Otherwise, it doesn't strike me as being strong in any one department, but a mixed bag; and I find the oscilloscope and VU meter to be fun but gimmicky.

The digital oscillator seems to me the most intersting part as well, particularly of how it may be tinkered with. The crossfade could be programmed on any DSI synth, but a dedicated knob does of course come in handy, especially in live situations.

I think the familiar look is mostly due to the wheels placed in a similar fashion as on the Rev2. The rest basically follows the design of the Minilogue and Monologue. It's just bigger.

The oscilloscope can have an educational purpose or can even be helpful for sound design. And the VU meter for the analog compressor is also fine with me. Since there's still plenty of space left, it would have been nice, though, if they could have added a second LFO and Aftertouch.

I'm impressed that Korg has used full-sized keys and long keyboards.  That's a refreshing change.

By the way, exactly what does "stunning presence unlike any other poly synth" mean?  And why is Korg calling bi-timbrality "multi-timbrality"?

Maybe they refer to the analog compressor with the "stunning presence". And bi-timbrality is a form of multi-timbrality, only the lowest possible one.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 06:52:57 AM by Paul Dither »

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 07:01:37 AM »
It does seem their ultimate goal was to bring it in at the exact same price as the REV2. For whatever reason that meant no aftertouch, which is a glaring omission. Also probably why there's only one LFO, although there could possibly be a technical reason for that as well. I have yet to hear anything really stand out about it other than its superior on-board reverb, but the user digital OSC will obviously be the most interesting aspect.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:38:10 AM by Sleep of Reason »

LoboLives

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 07:02:55 AM »
I'm shocked that those are VCO's.  They sound to me like old DCO's.  Perhaps the recordings are only mediocre.

I would love to see DSI produce a magnificent Poly Evolver Keyboard revision that we could never forget.  This would be the time to do it.  Come on, fellas.

Yeah...now is the time for DSI to do one or all of three things.
1.) Multitimbrality (Actually multitimbrality not Korg's definition)
2.) MPE (Another collaboration with Roger Linn and his Linnstrument possibly would give the same expression to a DSI synth as a CS-80 and be totally unique)
3.) Hybrid that includes both the VS waves and also Prophet 2000 samples on the digital oscillators and two Prophet 6 VCOs. Also two new filter types (Comb and Vocal). 

eXode

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 07:09:34 AM »
I think the open API of OSC3 and FX could be interesting.

"The prologue offers an SDK (Software Development Kit) that allows developers to program, customize and extend the capabilities of the multi-engine and digital effects and is expected to be available for download in the spring of 2018. The prologue provides 16 user oscillator slots and 16 user effect slots, and users can use the prologue Librarian software (also expected to be available for download in the spring of 2018) to load into their prologue new oscillators and effect programs created by developers with the prologue SDK (Software Development Kit).

What types of sound will you create by combining the expanded digital oscillators with analog synthesis? You can create original programs and share code to participate in the user community. Start with sample code provided by KORG. The prologue belongs to you."

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 07:09:52 AM »
At this point, I think DSI could combine previous instruments that would result in something better than the Prologue.  How about a Prophet-6 combined with a Prophet VS, together with a few extra features?  It would be stupendous.

LoboLives

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 07:30:27 AM »
I think the open API of OSC3 and FX could be interesting.

"The prologue offers an SDK (Software Development Kit) that allows developers to program, customize and extend the capabilities of the multi-engine and digital effects and is expected to be available for download in the spring of 2018. The prologue provides 16 user oscillator slots and 16 user effect slots, and users can use the prologue Librarian software (also expected to be available for download in the spring of 2018) to load into their prologue new oscillators and effect programs created by developers with the prologue SDK (Software Development Kit).

What types of sound will you create by combining the expanded digital oscillators with analog synthesis? You can create original programs and share code to participate in the user community. Start with sample code provided by KORG. The prologue belongs to you."

Does this mean you can load samples into it?

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 07:50:48 AM »

This question hasn't been directly answered yet. There's also still no detailed info on how user wave import is going to work in the manual. It only says "See the 'prologue user contents guide' (www.korg.com) for details," which isn't available yet. I assume this will be unveiled once the according app is ready, which is currently scheduled for spring.

LoboLives

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 07:53:21 AM »

This question hasn't been directly answered yet. There's also still no detailed info on how user wave import is going to work in the manual. It only says "See the 'prologue user contents guide' (www.korg.com) for details," which isn't available yet. I assume this will be unveiled once the according app is ready, which is currently scheduled for spring.

I mean that's cool and all...but you may as well have squeezed in OSC4 in there as well...there seems to be a bunch of space on the front panel for more dials.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 08:00:45 AM »
I concur with regard to the overall sound. It has a thinner, sometimes even nasal quality (I don't mean the beautiful quality of BP filters by that), basically like the Minilogue, which of course shouldn't come as a surprise. Although I've heard some nice analog pads as well, the Rev2, Prophet-6, and OB-6 sound way more high-end. For a lack of a better expression, I find the Prologue to sound smaller and somewhat cheaper (as in: less luxurious) than DSI's poly synths.

And at this point, nothing else matters to me.  A thousand fancy features cannot compensate for a mediocre base sound.  If you can't strip down a synthesizer to a sawtooth or pulse width with a bit of reverb - artificial or natural - then you've got an instrument that needs to apologize each time it's heard. 

Now there's a fine standard: test a synthesizer in the natural acoustics of a large room.  If it doesn't excellent, then forget it.  But I think we could make an educated guess in such a case.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:15:08 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 08:06:21 AM »
I mean that's cool and all...but you may as well have squeezed in OSC4 in there as well...there seems to be a bunch of space on the front panel for more dials.

On the front panel, yes. Not so much under the hood it seems: