Nah, didn’t even like the first one
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

A message for Dave Smith : Tempest II

Pidcin

A message for Dave Smith : Tempest II
« on: January 16, 2018, 08:45:14 PM »
Hi Dave ,

I was wondering what the likelyhood of there ever being a Tempest II . With new upgraded features like 16 voices, poly chain capabilities , and an upgraded sequencer that does poly would be a dream come true .

I was wondering the likely hood of this as I’m ready to start a crowd funding campaign for the Tempest II to contribute any way possible because I strongly believe we are in NEED of this product. It would be the hottest product on the market. And if there was a crowd funding campaign that contributed financially maybe it would allow for this dream to become reality.

I need the Tempest II, Dave . I need it. We all need it.

Nick

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:56:47 PM by Pidcin »

Re: A message for Dave Smith : Tempest II
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 01:12:17 AM »
 :D

I'd be a happy with a couple of very simple firmware tweaks to my Tempest 1 (not that that's ever going to happen)!

Seriously though, I think DSI got their fingers burnt a bit with the Tempest. The sequencer/firmware angle wasn't something they were really geared up to deal with properly. I suspect they'll be sticking with 'normal' synths from now on but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Anyway, the Tempest is now six years old or something and it still compares to anything being released now in my opinion. If you're into the synth angle as much as the drum machine angle there's really nothing to touch it. Pairing the Tempest with something that can sample and has a more sophisticated sequencer (e.g. Deluge, Octatrack, MPC Live) is a killer combo.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Pidcin

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 01:55:11 PM »
:D

I'd be a happy with a couple of very simple firmware tweaks to my Tempest 1 (not that that's ever going to happen)!

Seriously though, I think DSI got their fingers burnt a bit with the Tempest. The sequencer/firmware angle wasn't something they were really geared up to deal with properly. I suspect they'll be sticking with 'normal' synths from now on but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Anyway, the Tempest is now six years old or something and it still compares to anything being released now in my opinion. If you're into the synth angle as much as the drum machine angle there's really nothing to touch it. Pairing the Tempest with something that can sample and has a more sophisticated sequencer (e.g. Deluge, Octatrack, MPC Live) is a killer combo.

The tempest is a top notch instrument and was loaded pack with features utilizing every bit of hardware and ram/memory .
It’s about 7-8 years old now and as you mentioned still stands up. Therefore this product was ahead of its time in order to stay this prominent and popular amongst those who use it .

I firmly believe this product deserves a legacy ; TEMPEST II, that will serve the next decade , especially now after creating a diamond, and hearing everyone’s responses they can most defiently surpass the players needs and make the TEMPEST II.

I still firmly believe and am making a bold statement that the TEMPEST II should be of consideration for Dave Smith Instruments .

I would buy one in a heart beat. As the tempest holds dear to my heart as it was the first instrument I bought from DSI. I love it so much, and I hope they come out with another one to continue on with.

I know others would agree

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 02:10:20 PM »
I think Dave will leave it to Roger to come out with the Linn Drum II. Not sure when that'll be though.

Anyway the Pioneer/DSI Toraiz SP-16 is actually sort of takes the basic functionality of the Tempest and expands on it. There's no analog synthesis going on but it's still a great machine with Prophet 6 filters.

dslsynth

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 03:13:14 PM »
There were some very interesting voice architecture ideas in the original BoomChik design. Would love to know what these were and would love if a voice with forward looking electronic percussion capabilities happened as a multi-timbral desktop module one day!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 03:57:45 PM »
There were some very interesting voice architecture ideas in the original BoomChik design. Would love to know what these were and would love if a voice with forward looking electronic percussion capabilities happened as a multi-timbral desktop module one day!

As long as they don’t name it Boom Chick or Metro Knome or whatever. I’ll say it before and I’ll say it again what is with synth makers naming their stuff stupid names.

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 06:08:42 PM »
Of course I would buy one. It could be the next Virus.
More memory
Sampling ability (layer/zones/wave table synthesis)
Better display
Mono outs
(32 voices) 16 analogue voice / 16 digital Voice
4 LFO’s
Modulation operators
Brew a decent cup of tea
32 patch chords
Sound patches save with performance fx
Smooth led encoders
No shift functions
32 notes per lanes
Parameter lock
Clean out outs
Cleans my home
USB key for data storage
RGB pads
Multi digital fx per sound
Waveform display
Spectrograph display
Illuminated Tempest Logo
CV outs
Full midi spec
Randomizer with variousness modes
Pop up tips of Yorgos praising you for good sound design....autoshock for those who make stooopid sounds
Ableton link
Over drive on all outs
Adat out
Word clock in/out
Balanced outs
4 analogue OSC per analogue voices
4 digital sample, wavetable, digital wave per digital voice
Layering/linking of sounds (poly record)
LucidSFX signature sound set (badAzCowBellzzz)
Route any modulator patch cable to multiple envelopes or patch cables
Software Librarian and patch creator (think Virus TI)
Does not like Cats or Pictures of Cats on synths. Especially on itself.
Side chain everything.
Has 33 Chanel mixer with eq capabilities and digital fx inserts.
Sound design mode where iterations of a patch can be freely saved as “states” to be A/B across the 16 pads (Think photoshop)
Endless LED encoders so values don’t jump  when switching between pads
Built in brick wall limiter per channel and master
Surround sound mode for game and movie sound design
Lithium rechargeable batteries that last 16 hours on full performance.

I am sure there is more that can be put on the list.

I love the original Tempest but if the ultimate workstation encompassing the above came out I would buy it in a heart beat (pipe dream as it is)....considering the hell we put Dave and Roger through.....LOL Good luck on the T2.

LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

Pidcin

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 06:42:20 PM »
Of course I would buy one. It could be the next Virus.
More memory
Sampling ability (layer/zones/wave table synthesis)
Better display
Mono outs
(32 voices) 16 analogue voice / 16 digital Voice
4 LFO’s
Modulation operators
Brew a decent cup of tea
32 patch chords
Sound patches save with performance fx
Smooth led encoders
No shift functions
32 notes per lanes
Parameter lock
Clean out outs
Cleans my home
USB key for data storage
RGB pads
Multi digital fx per sound
Waveform display
Spectrograph display
Illuminated Tempest Logo
CV outs
Full midi spec
Randomizer with variousness modes
Pop up tips of Yorgos praising you for good sound design....autoshock for those who make stooopid sounds
Ableton link
Over drive on all outs
Adat out
Word clock in/out
Balanced outs
4 analogue OSC per analogue voices
4 digital sample, wavetable, digital wave per digital voice
Layering/linking of sounds (poly record)
LucidSFX signature sound set (badAzCowBellzzz)
Route any modulator patch cable to multiple envelopes or patch cables
Software Librarian and patch creator (think Virus TI)
Does not like Cats or Pictures of Cats on synths. Especially on itself.
Side chain everything.
Has 33 Chanel mixer with eq capabilities and digital fx inserts.
Sound design mode where iterations of a patch can be freely saved as “states” to be A/B across the 16 pads (Think photoshop)
Endless LED encoders so values don’t jump  when switching between pads
Built in brick wall limiter per channel and master
Surround sound mode for game and movie sound design
Lithium rechargeable batteries that last 16 hours on full performance.

I am sure there is more that can be put on the list.

I love the original Tempest but if the ultimate workstation encompassing the above came out I would buy it in a heart beat (pipe dream as it is)....considering the hell we put Dave and Roger through.....LOL Good luck on the T2.

Alright thanks man..

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 01:59:17 AM »
Hahaha nice one John :D

RobH

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 04:43:31 AM »
The most important function must be “all functions get zapped into the brain on purchase ; no need to read manual ever” lol

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 04:45:12 PM »
I wish they would do up a Tempest with a Linndrum paint job.

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 10:16:37 AM »
just in case: it would be worth consider a dedicated FPGA effects block. at least with 6 lanes

let's not be taliban about this analog thing.

and, i would strongly consider a much deeper MIDI integration if i was in Dave's mind.
indeed an SD card port would be welcome to overcome space limitations
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:23:16 AM by flusso »
DNB - Detroit style - gabber
sometimes house and ambient

LoboLives

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 06:22:32 PM »
Maybe 8Dio could collaborate with Roger Linn..imagine the percussion and drum samples within the PX but inside a drum machine format...I suppose though you could technically sample them into an MpC or SP16 or something.

Stoss

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 08:20:32 AM »
The Tempest is amazing. There is truly nothing like it. It doesn’t need user sampling or any of the laundry list of features people want to throw at it. What it needs is to have everything that was intended to work on it be in working order. It needs more memory for the programmer to complete the project. It needs more memory for users to save sound files. The sound files need to store the FX settings. It needs the glide modes working. It needs the single cycle waveforms to not be buzzy. It doesn’t need a better display, it just needs a designer to give it a quick brush up on some very basic UI inconsistencies. It needs much deeper MIDI implementation.

The Tempest II needs only be a completion and polishing of the original effort, which most likely would need to include some hardware modifications.

I think a one-time discount to those that purchased (new) the original before it was declared complete while still short of its advertised features would be a wise marketing move.

I think future development of a Tempest Mini with stripped down features would be a great way to expand upon the effort and gather more subsidiary income. I’m talking real basic... something like the DrumBrute Impact... dedicated voices, but maybe with the bonus of recordable parameter tweaks.

Let me know if you’d like an outside consultant for the effort. I’m highly interested.  :)

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 02:40:23 AM »
The Tempest is amazing. There is truly nothing like it. It doesn’t need user sampling or any of the laundry list of features people want to throw at it. What it needs is to have everything that was intended to work on it be in working order. It needs more memory for the programmer to complete the project. It needs more memory for users to save sound files. The sound files need to store the FX settings. It needs the glide modes working. It needs the single cycle waveforms to not be buzzy. It doesn’t need a better display, it just needs a designer to give it a quick brush up on some very basic UI inconsistencies. It needs much deeper MIDI implementation.

That man speaks da truth!!
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 07:16:53 AM »
I'm still in the honeymoon phase and I bought mine for $900, so my opinion is probably different than others, but I totally love this thing. It's probably my favorite instrument right now. Had I read all the negativity with more than a grain of salt, I wouldn't have bought one and would have really missed out on a fun device. I'm using it more than my Pro 2 right now and this weekend will be my first time bringing it to a jam night to do some improv stuff. The memory limitation is a bit disappointing however. After downloading the new sounds, there is literally no space to create new ones. I'll have to go through and delete a bunch of the factory patches.

RobH

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 10:11:17 AM »
I'm still in the honeymoon phase and I bought mine for $900, so my opinion is probably different than others, but I totally love this thing. It's probably my favorite instrument right now. Had I read all the negativity with more than a grain of salt, I wouldn't have bought one and would have really missed out on a fun device. I'm using it more than my Pro 2 right now and this weekend will be my first time bringing it to a jam night to do some improv stuff. The memory limitation is a bit disappointing however. After downloading the new sounds, there is literally no space to create new ones. I'll have to go through and delete a bunch of the factory patches.

$900. Thats £700. Thats ABSURD.

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 05:56:00 PM »
Since owning the Tempest since 2013, it seems like the opinion on forums like Gearslutz is negative. It seems like Elektron is the favored brand for groove boxes. I don’t see a Tempest 2 being better than Elektron boxes, especially if it’s gonna be $2000.

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2018, 01:33:47 AM »
You mean GearTrash...Check your info again a lot of people are blaming Elektron for their cumbersome workflow in their machines and for not keeping their promises on Overbridge..I used to own an Octatrack but sold it for an MPC Live..Couldn’t be happier about the choice and my workflow has improved 1000%...
Since owning the Tempest since 2013, it seems like the opinion on forums like Gearslutz is negative. It seems like Elektron is the favored brand for groove boxes. I don’t see a Tempest 2 being better than Elektron boxes, especially if it’s gonna be $2000.

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2018, 03:42:00 PM »
I would be all for it but I won't early adopt. I REALLY hope they continue on with the dev plan they originally had which was to do a sampling box to kinda be brother to the Tempest. BUT.... I would want it done right. Part of the awesome sauce marketing of the tempest was having both Dave Smith and Roger Linn's names right on the machine ... this was implying that they were applying all those years of experience into the tempest so you could trust that when it came out it would be fully fleshed out and would be well thought out with forethought to the future. the reality (in my opinion) was not that...  they underspec'd the digital side of things leaving barely enough memory to save anything. they used a chip that struggled to import sample data. They didnt haven enough cpu left over to even handle complex midi for fear of clock stability. (all this stuff admitted on their part over the years).
So with that being said... I still want what I know they COULD produce given modern chipsets and if... only IF they don't nickel and dime the damn thing to be unable to be updated and improved as time goes on.

I own both tempest and Rytm mk2 (sold my rytm mk1) fact is I prefer the sound and the sampling aspect of the Rytm but MUCH prefer the Tempest open layout and open ended synthesis of the tempest. the tempest is simply more fun to create on. It does SO much right.... yet got things wrong that the names on the box had me thinking would have been thought about before hand.
that all being said... I wasn't involved in development. I don't know what struggles happened behind the scenes. maybe one day I could have them both on my show and they could dish out the on the design decisions and why it went the way that it did.  I wouldn't expect them to be open to that till well after the Tempest is OOP.

so yeah I would LOVE a Tempest 2 ... so long as they learn from the past. hell maybe team up with Dave Rossum on it, harkening back to the prophet 5 days....