Poly synth mod and pitch wheel ISSUE

Pidcin

Poly synth mod and pitch wheel ISSUE
« on: January 15, 2018, 05:59:21 PM »
would you know why I’m not able to record my pitch wheel and mod wheel? I was playing a bass line on my controller , I hooked up the pitch wheel to go down an octave , and mod wheel to do LFO on pitch for vibrato , and it all works when I play but when I click record neither the pitch wheel or mod wheel gets recorded?

When I initially designed the sounds I was able to record with the pitch wheel and mod wheel but since I’ve saved the project , turned the tempest off and on a few days later and it’s not recording the mod and pitch wheel. I can only hear it when I play .

Any advise ?

Stoss

Re: Poly synth mod and pitch wheel ISSUE
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 08:16:10 AM »
First, read the manual on what can and cannot be recorded into the sequencer.

Second, read the forum post related to feedback on beta firmware. You’ll want to find the area where Roger Linn is responding to my posts about odd behavior related to using the mod wheel for live performance while a sequence is running. This has nothing to do with recording, but based on how you are describing your use case, you will run into it. It’s extremely odd, hard to identify and understand what is happening, and has yet to and most likely will never be fixed.

Pidcin

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 09:56:59 AM »

Second, read the forum post related to feedback on beta firmware. You’ll want to find the area where Roger Linn is responding to my posts about odd behavior related to using the mod wheel for live performance while a sequence is running. This has nothing to do with recording, but based on how you are describing your use case, you will run into it. It’s extremely odd, hard to identify and understand what is happening, and has yet to and most likely will never be fixed.

Thanks for nothing  .

First off why don’t you go read the 100 pages since you don’t have the answer either ...

I find it extremely hard to believe that I can’t set the tempest up to a midi controller , play ONE note, USE the pitch wheel to drop the octave and it not be sequenced ...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:59:46 AM by Pidcin »

Stoss

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 11:02:15 AM »

Thanks for nothing  .

First off why don’t you go read the 100 pages since you don’t have the answer either ...

I find it extremely hard to believe that I can’t set the tempest up to a midi controller , play ONE note, USE the pitch wheel to drop the octave and it not be sequenced ...

Best of luck to you as you discover the ins and outs of the Tempest. Your journey will truly shape what you “believe” the product is capable of.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:04:10 AM by Stoss »

Pidcin

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 11:06:37 AM »

Thanks for nothing  .

Best of luck to you as you discover the ins and outs of the Tempest. Your journey will truly shape what you “believe” the product is capable of.

Thanks.....

Pidcin

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 12:45:24 PM »

Thanks for nothing  .

Ahhh, my new friend explained to me in such a humble way that the answer to this question is

No, that you must record the mods from the ribbons . That it doesn’t record external mod destinations .

Stoss

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 01:01:05 PM »

Thanks for nothing  .

Ahhh, my new friend explained to me in such a humble way that the answer to this question is

No, that you must record the mods from the ribbons . That it doesn’t record external mod destinations .

I was sincerely trying to be nice and point you in the right direction. How you read that is on you.

The manual is the best place to really understand what parameters are recorded per step and how they can be entered and edited. There’s a lot to describe and DSI has already done a good job of doing it.

The other oddity is one you have probably not yet noticed but will likely run into. I wanted to give you the heads up on that as well... just so it wouldn’t drive you crazy.

There is no way for me to read your responses other than how you wrote them, which is with a complete lack of respect and a sour tone. That is on you.

As I said... Best of luck and enjoy your new purchase.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:03:12 PM by Stoss »

Pidcin

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 01:59:07 PM »

Thanks for nothing  .

I was sincerely trying to be nice and point you in the right direction. How you read that is on you.

The manual is the best place to really understand what parameters are recorded per step and how they can be entered and edited. There’s a lot to describe and DSI has already done a good job of doing it.

The other oddity is one you have probably not yet noticed but will likely run into. I wanted to give you the heads up on that as well... just so it wouldn’t drive you crazy.

There is no way for me to read your responses other than how you wrote them, which is with a complete lack of respect and a sour tone. That is on you.

As I said... Best of luck and enjoy your new purchase.

I see what you mean .

Some of these issues such as running a controller with the mod wheel and pitch as sources , playing on top of a sequence has glitches , example if I play a bass line , use pitch wheel, it won’t always return to the normal pitch and hiccup on frequency . As a live performance tool, it’s probably not ideal to take this $3000 drum machine , connect a controller for poly use, or even mono use, play bass along with the drum track or play synth pads on top because of these glitches . Even sequencing the tempest with a controller seems to be stretching it to its limits and causing it to bug.

Currently I’m sequencing a pop song by Bruno mars track called 24k magic . Has very nice synth , synth bass, synth lead parts and a funky drum part . I’ve lifted the drum track, sculpted a bass , and synth pad and lead, sequenced the drums, bass and it’s turning out great. Although the subtle nuances of vibrato, pitch, unison mode/glissando effects give it more life , it’s still turning out to my standard

And I’m determined to make use of the tempest because of its timbre, the richness of oscillators and fullness of sounds that you don’t get in typical softsynth and VSTs makes these short comings a minor setback . But again, I  try to make the most of it , with all the help I can get from the manual, which I’ve read over , plus or minus my limited comprehension of it. So I’m glad the community can entertain direct questions and guide people in the right direction. True I felt and perhaps took your comments as a “f-off , go read the manual and secondly go search other posts , as I was hoping someone would say, hey goto the global menu and turn the GUI interface to this or something like that or a simple it’s incapable , you gotta use the ribbons to record it, or record the track without the fx , then go back and re-record the ribbon automations  . So my apologies .

Thank you for your time and believe you me, there’s ways around this minor hiccup.

I’m inquiring around the forum if it’s possible to polychain tempests , or to even send midi data out of it so I can let the prophet play all the sounds , to free up 6 voices , or if worse comes to worse have to intergrate a DAW and interface and just record everything . Which I am desperately trying to avoid . Tv screens/monitors and mouses . Been down that route for a good decade and must say it’s enjoyable to just sit at a machine that does it all and the experience is all in the machine .