Behringer UBXA

Re: Behringer UBXA
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2018, 05:51:42 PM »
I think if they were smart they would go for Jupiter 8 and DX7 clones next. I would think there's more of a demand for those than the OBXa to be honest.

...but more of an opportunity to leverage the Oberheim trademarks once the bankers come calling for Gibson.

And I've yet to see anyone clamoring for DX7 clones; there are tons of used ones out there (especially mk I units).
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2018, 10:32:01 PM »
I think if they were smart they would go for Jupiter 8 and DX7 clones next. I would think there's more of a demand for those than the OBXa to be honest.

...but more of an opportunity to leverage the Oberheim trademarks once the bankers come calling for Gibson.

And I've yet to see anyone clamoring for DX7 clones; there are tons of used ones out there (especially mk I units).

A lot of people are asking for a new FM synth from Yamaha that isn’t the Montage. Yamaha publically said they have no interest in that...so time for someone else to cater to that market.

blewis

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2018, 08:25:25 AM »
Would it be smart for DSI to rush out a 5 octave, 8 voice, bitimbral OB-8/12 like right now? Once the Behringer is out, will the window be gone?

DSI would have to have a good bump in price to cover that though.

LoboLives

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2018, 08:53:18 AM »
Would it be smart for DSI to rush out a 5 octave, 8 voice, bitimbral OB-8/12 like right now? Once the Behringer is out, will the window be gone?

DSI would have to have a good bump in price to cover that though.

Nah. Let DSI move forward with new things.

Shaw

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2018, 08:56:40 AM »
Nah. Let DSI move forward with new things.
Agreed. Plus DSI can't/doesn't just "rush out" instruments.  Whatever is coming next will have been in the design / R&D pipeline for months by the time it is released.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

dsetto

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2018, 06:20:02 AM »
I think a very easily programmable FM synth with full sized keys is enticing. I greatly prefer the flavor of the P12 sine wave to that of the Montage.

LoboLives

« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2018, 01:06:47 PM »
I think a very easily programmable FM synth with full sized keys is enticing. I greatly prefer the flavor of the P12 sine wave to that of the Montage.

Personally speaking, I'm a bit burnt out of acquiring analog synths. Unless they can offer something mindblowing like onboard MPE keyboard or multitimbrality I don't really have any interest in getting another analog synth. I got a Prophet 6, Moog Sub 37, the Oberheim Two Voice Pro is on it's way and I'll likely grab an 8 Voice Rev 2. I would greatly appreciate other synthesis at this point. FM, Wavetable, Samplers etc. Yeah there's options out there for it but I'd like to see DSI try their hand at something new this time around. With Behringer now teasing a Jupiter 8 clone I think that DSI is going to have to offer something a bit more than another analog poly synth.

Shaw

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2018, 01:15:24 PM »

Personally speaking, I'm a bit burnt out of acquiring analog synths. Unless they can offer something mindblowing like onboard MPE keyboard or multitimbrality I don't really have any interest in getting another analog synth. I got a Prophet 6, Moog Sub 37, the Oberheim Two Voice Pro is on it's way and I'll likely grab an 8 Voice Rev 2. I would greatly appreciate other synthesis at this point. FM, Wavetable, Samplers etc. Yeah there's options out there for it but I'd like to see DSI try their hand at something new this time around. With Behringer now teasing a Jupiter 8 clone I think that DSI is going to have to offer something a bit more than another analog poly synth.
...you’re talking up the new Waldorf Quantum now....
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2018, 04:30:19 AM »

You know I hate to say it but I'm not that impressed with the Quantum from what I've heard and I hate the touch screen.

Shaw

« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2018, 04:44:06 PM »

You know I hate to say it but I'm not that impressed with the Quantum from what I've heard and I hate the touch screen.
Very puzzled by the fact that we have no official demos of the Quantum... huh?
Back to the UB-XA, where are you guys getting information on this?

LoboLives

« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »

Very puzzled by the fact that we have no official demos of the Quantum... huh?
Back to the UB-XA, where are you guys getting information on this?

Behringer seems to be well connected with Mr. Firechild who has already demoed the VP 340 for them. Likely we'll see a UBXA demo from him in the next month or so.

They also just teased a Jupiter 8 clone.

« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2018, 11:24:09 AM »
Behringer is doing to the music market what Michael Dell did to the PC market in the 80s, it's a predictable business play.  He's innovating on the business side (manufacturing and marketing) to sell other people's ideas.  The fact that Moog as a company still focuses on quality and paying American works a fair wage gives people who can afford it a choice.  Behringer is giving choices to all the people who *can't* afford a Moog.  The difference between a modern Minimoog and  B-Model D, other than the physical size and quality, come down mostly to price and concerns about social justice.  If you can afford and are willing to pay for social justice (fair wages, profiting from your own ideas instead of others', etc), and you have room for a Minimoog, cool.  If you can't afford to pay for those things, even if you would like to, or you prefer the smaller form factor of a B-Model D, then there you go.

Many of these same sentiments apply to Oberheim and Dave, with the differences that they're both still alive (thank my PEK! (which is God)), and due to my own ignorance, I can't say for certain if they do their manufacturing in the US and make a point to pay liveable wages across their supply chain.

But in the end, Behringer's play is to the low end hobbyist market, so I don't think they'll ever be a real threat to companies that prioritize quality.  The Model D does sound great, and I plan on buying one and would keep it even if I can someday afford a Minimoog, but I'll never revere it in the same way I revere my PEK or OB6.

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2018, 11:34:04 AM »

If I didn't already have (formerly Robert Rich's!) DX7ii, I would be open to an UPDATED DX7, with a touchscreen interface for programming it like the iOS FM apps, the DX7's keyboard and hopefully... under 20 lbs.  Or really rather an updated SY77 or maybe an FS1R keyboard with above features.  You can get close with an iPad and good keyboard, but there is something to be said for having an all-in-one dedicated instrument.

Yamaha is daft for ignoring this potential right now.

LoboLives

« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2018, 06:18:33 PM »
Behringer is doing to the music market what Michael Dell did to the PC market in the 80s, it's a predictable business play.  He's innovating on the business side (manufacturing and marketing) to sell other people's ideas.  The fact that Moog as a company still focuses on quality and paying American works a fair wage gives people who can afford it a choice.  Behringer is giving choices to all the people who *can't* afford a Moog.  The difference between a modern Minimoog and  B-Model D, other than the physical size and quality, come down mostly to price and concerns about social justice.  If you can afford and are willing to pay for social justice (fair wages, profiting from your own ideas instead of others', etc), and you have room for a Minimoog, cool.  If you can't afford to pay for those things, even if you would like to, or you prefer the smaller form factor of a B-Model D, then there you go.

Many of these same sentiments apply to Oberheim and Dave, with the differences that they're both still alive (thank my PEK! (which is God)), and due to my own ignorance, I can't say for certain if they do their manufacturing in the US and make a point to pay liveable wages across their supply chain.

But in the end, Behringer's play is to the low end hobbyist market, so I don't think they'll ever be a real threat to companies that prioritize quality.  The Model D does sound great, and I plan on buying one and would keep it even if I can someday afford a Minimoog, but I'll never revere it in the same way I revere my PEK or OB6.

I think what Behringer are doing is listening to a lot of synth fans yearning for new Jupiter 8s from Roland or new DX7s from Yamaha or OBXa reissues instead of OB6s and delivering those at an affordable rate.

Yamaha responded to me about doing a new DX or at least an FMX only synth and they flat out said “we would never live in the past or bother with any reissues or catering to old technologies”
I responded “Then what is the Reface line exactly?”
They then proceeded to tell me I was being aggressive.

Same situation with the Roland V Piano. I inquired if I could still purchase a new one and they kept pushing their RD2000 model. I told them I wasn’t impressed and keybed was awful. They said I was wrong. I showed them a video of exactly how poor the keybed was and they insisted I was making it up! I eventually just ended up getting one second hand.

It’s things like that make me hope Uli eats Roland and Yamaha’s lunch.

Shaw

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2018, 06:25:15 PM »
Ha.... Japanese Millenials.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2018, 10:18:05 PM »
Yamaha responded to me about doing a new DX or at least an FMX only synth and they flat out said “we would never live in the past or bother with any reissues or catering to old technologies”

Same situation with the Roland V Piano. I inquired if I could still purchase a new one and they kept pushing their RD2000 model. I told them I wasn’t impressed and keybed was awful. They said I was wrong. I showed them a video of exactly how poor the keybed was and they insisted I was making it up! I eventually just ended up getting one second hand.

Now there's a bit of serious negative advertising!  Great story.  I had a good laugh over it.  I've never owned anything by Yamaha except a recorder, and I think I'll keep it that way.

LoboLives

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2018, 08:44:03 AM »

Now there's a bit of serious negative advertising!  Great story.  I had a good laugh over it.  I've never owned anything by Yamaha except a recorder, and I think I'll keep it that way.

They don't care about negative advertising.

AlanC

« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2018, 09:07:17 AM »

Never mind the Reface line, this is hilarious because their current flagship, the Montage, incorporates the exact same FM implementation used in the FS1R from 20 years ago (minus the formant synthesis). And they made quite a thing about the fact you can convert programs from the DX7 / DX7ii / DX7s / TX802 / TX816 to use with it.

LoboLives