Behringer UBXA

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Behringer UBXA
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 02:45:16 PM »
I'd love to have a full-sized Oberheim poly synth, but only if there were no shortcuts taken or compromises made in its production.  That certainly includes a full five octaves of keys.  And I'm willing to pay for it, too.  Such a re-issue, or such a new design, would obviously be beyond Tom's capability these days.  So, DSI still strikes me as the best choice for a combination of sound, size, capability, a classic-synth experience, and cost, especially regarding such instruments as the Prophet Rev2 and Prophet 12. 

I jumped ( 8)) when the OB-6 first came out, but its moderately small size soon made me change my mind.  I've always liked the Oberheim sound, but it doesn't look like a bona fide Oberheim is forthcoming.  As for Behringer, I'll believe it when I hear it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:24:25 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Pidcin

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 02:49:26 PM »
The Behringer may not have build quality or "name" factor but it will be closer to the classic OBXa than the OB-6. In fact it would actually be a lot closer to the REV2 than OB-6 as well.

I respect the OB-6 and maybe one day I may pick it up...but I ordered the Two Voice Pro instead because I already have a Prophet 6 and am also likely picking up a REV2...I just feel the OB-6 would be redundant at that point.

Honestly...I think if I were Behringer I would have started a subsidiary company to handle all the synth stuff because I think what's putting a lot of people off of anything they do is the name.

Yeah! That’d be really smart . Usually when we hear Behringer we don’t think of high end quality gear , we think ... we’ll, other things , and not give it any attention. Having a different company shell their newer lines may have brought more attention to their product line . So I whole heartedly agree with you on that. 

I heard their model D clone and to be honest it’s remarkable ! I was super impressed and for the price point it’ll bring in a lot of new business . I’m curious if moog had to agree with this or is scratching their head asking how can they market a product after a product we sell , being the model d reissue ( whether or not they stopped their production and are selling off their last few reissued ) but still to say this is a moog clone ... using their name, the sound they designed and trying to profit off that , by underhanding and charging 1/10 of the price just raises some questions ... what are your thoughts ?

I believe the design of the Minimoog had fallen out of copyright.

My thoughts are, Made In America comes at a cost, even Made In Japan does and a lot of companies are switching their manufacturing to China, Malaysia, Korea for cheaper labor costs and even manufacturing of parts. Am I expecting top quality when I get Behringer? I don't know. I had to send my Prophet 6 in to get a new board and that costs me $4k and was made in the USA. The Oberheim I just ordered had the whole bend box disengaged when I tried it at Moog Audio in Toronto and that was made in the states and cost $5k. Food for thought.

My thoughts are get what you want and approach music your own way. For me there's no sense in having both a Prophet 6 and OB-6 because then it becomes redundant in terms of features and function. Even a Deep Mind 12 would be redundant. A REV 2 is bitimbral...so I can justify that. Should the new Korg or possible Arturia poly offer something different then I may look at those. Same as if DSI came out with a new Poly Evolver. Hell, if Behringer comes out with an ARP 2600 clone or even Jupiter 8 clone I may even look at those. I would rather have variety in terms of capabilities with each synth doing it's own thing and set them all up like an orchestra rather than relying.

In my opinion I actually believe Arturia has surpassed Moog in terms of innovation and actually is more in tuned to what synth head's want. Moog is living off it's name and it's past....and I think that might be to their detriment...go ask Gibson why they are selling their legendary Memphis factory.

That’s just awful! Having the prophet 6 and OB two voice issues ... 

I do think however the prophet 6 and OB 6 are very similar feature wise , but the subtle nuances in timbre for me personally are enough to grab both of them . I couldn’t settle for a funky synth patch on the prophet if I had the OB6, it just sounds better, same with more aggressive bass lines and leads for the OB6. Or FX.. I’d use the prophet 6 for more warm pads like spandau - ballet type sounds .. I find myself trying to create a sound on my prophet 6 and getting close to the ballpark , but when I do the same thing on the OB6, it just takes me there , it has that extra bit of magic , whether it’s because it’s brighter or the filter is different , to me , and not to most , it’s a got to have.

But I’m curious about the REV2, a lot of people say they can really get the same pallete of sound from the REV2 . But when I hear it compared to the OB6, I hear more body , warmth and character , or at least that’s what I’m convincing myself of .

And I have to agree , even though, and don’t get mad . I HATE computers , I HATE cell phones , and I HATE softsynths that Arturia softsynth has some really cool stuff. The moog model version kind of sucks the balls of god. The softsynth called LEGEND , does a wayyy better version. But the whole concept of get all the synths under one hood and they sound 70-80% authentic is remarkable , there’s even a soft synth that does thevProphet 5 and I could barely tell the difference when listening on my iPhone
 And as everyone says , you can barely notice it in the mix .

But I’m telling you, I had a chance to use an axe fx 2 , and it sounds awesome , and in the mix it’s great, but I’m telling you there’s still something missing . It’s not the same as when I plug into my mesa boogie mark amp, with those tubes saturatinfband pushing air out the speaker , it’s an experience , and I love that about music .

BUT , let’s be honest at the end of the day, these are all just toys . Expensive ones though and regardless of instrument a good player can make a toaster sound good.and I say that in all honesty . I bought a fender squire 60s edition Strat. Bought it for $300 . I changed the decal , the bone nut, the pickups , bridge , tuners , pots , and had the frets on the side of the neck shaved , even for the neck buffed from the coating it originally had and out a tungsten gunstock oil , and had spent an extra $600 on it , so about $1000. And you wouldn’t believe how great that instrument played . Even compared to my Gibson 339, and SUHR, it’s absolutely undoubtedly top notch .

Jeez... went off on a. Tangent .
Gotta get me an OB6

Pidcin

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 02:51:07 PM »
I'd love to have a full-sized Oberheim poly synth, but only if there were no shortcuts taken or compromises made in its production.  That certainly includes a full five octaves of keys.  And I'm willing to pay for it, too.  Such a re-issue, or such a new design, would obviously be beyond Tom's capability these days.  So, DSI still strikes me as the best choice for a combination of sound, capability, a classic-synth experience, and cost. 

I jumped ( 8)) when the OB-6 first came out, but its moderately small size soon made me change my mind.  I've always liked the Oberheim sound, but it doesn't look like a bona fide Oberheim is forthcoming.  As for Behringer, I'll believe it when I hear it.

So , question ; is it possible to get a controller to your liking and couple it with that? Wouldn’t that be a good alternative ?

dslsynth

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 03:20:08 PM »
My tongue-in-cheek remark was referring to the incentivized "street team" of a certain multinational manufacturer whose posts seem to bubble up on the user forums every time there's a new product pre-announced.

In my experience its a widely used marketing technique. Not to mention its application in other fields such as politics. I am pretty sure there are companies out there making a living from selling such "communication services" to others. In daily spoken language however such techniques better referred to as "manipulation".

The trouble with the B-word product announcement show is that they announce possible new products so far into the future and at such a low price point that it may cause customers to wait for the products to happen rather than to look for competing products. In that way B-word make competing products compete against expectations which can be a bit hard for their competitors. Makes one wonder how B-word products would be received if they announced them a few months before shipping just like the other companies do.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Pidcin

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 03:26:16 PM »
My tongue-in-cheek remark was referring to the incentivized "street team" of a certain multinational manufacturer whose posts seem to bubble up on the user forums every time there's a new product pre-announced.

In my experience its a widely used marketing technique. Not to mention its application in other fields such as politics. I am pretty sure there are companies out there making a living from selling such "communication services" to others. In daily spoken language however such techniques better referred to as "manipulation".

The trouble with the B-word product announcement show is that they announce possible new products so far into the future and at such a low price point that it may cause customers to wait for the products to happen rather than to look for competing products. In that way B-word make competing products compete against expectations which can be a bit hard for their competitors. Makes one wonder how B-word products would be received if they announced them a few months before shipping just like the other companies do.

So what youre me telling is that I should request a payment from Behringer for doing their street team job?

Maybe even throw me a model D clone or UBXA for spreading the word without even realizing . Then I’ll sell it and buy an OB6. Nah I wouldn’t do that . I’m still getting both. I want that OB6, and the UBXA , and I’m going to keep one in a box for the purpose of it potentially becoming a sought after item . Or use it as a backup for when the other one breaks .

dslsynth

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 03:30:36 PM »
So what youre me telling is that I should request a payment from Behringer for doing their street team job?

I am not writing anything specifically directed at you. It was only considerations on the general level about marketing in todays world and the behavior of a certain company. So not to worry! ;)
#!/bin/sh

Shaw

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 03:53:41 PM »
On somewhat of a side note, I’d like to see Behringer innovate instead of copy.  Sure, an OB-XA clone is great, but add features: more expanded mod-matrix, the Modal Electronics Animator is pure genius... but don’t just COPY.  People won’t take you seriously.

And build the instruments at the quality level of what you’re copying.  A $500 clone won’t sound as gorgeous as the old Oberheim or Moog.  You can’t recreate quality instruments by cutting corners.  Anyone who plays guitar knows the difference between a Squire and a Fender Custom Shop Strat.  Different Worlds.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Pidcin

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 04:30:28 PM »
On somewhat of a side note, I’d like to see Behringer innovate instead of copy.  Sure, an OB-XA clone is great, but add features: more expanded mod-matrix, the Modal Electronics Animator is pure genius... but don’t just COPY.  People won’t take you seriously.

And build the instruments at the quality level of what you’re copying.  A $500 clone won’t sound as gorgeous as the old Oberheim or Moog.  You can’t recreate quality instruments by cutting corners.  Anyone who plays guitar knows the difference between a Squire and a Fender Custom Shop Strat.  Different Worlds.

I play guitar . And I used to do cruise ship gigs, cocktail music, barnitzvahs weddings and my instrument was my lively hood.

The squier That I had upgraded had the exact same wood, and neck profile as a 60s Strat . With the modifications , it stood up against the other instruments I’ve owned . And it sounded as good as a Suhr guitar , other strats I’ve owned and other higher end instruments I’ve have .

But a stock squier isn’t the same as a fender strat , but there are some really cheesy American Stratocaster starting off at 1k that wouldn’t nearly match the squier I Frankensteined

Pidcin

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 04:32:31 PM »

I am not writing anything specifically directed at you. It was only considerations on the general level about marketing in todays world and the behavior of a certain company. So not to worry! ;)

I think I should . I already did the work . Lol

Shaw

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 04:37:41 PM »
The squier That I had upgraded had the exact same wood, and neck profile as a 60s Strat . With the modifications , it stood up against the other instruments I’ve owned . And it sounded as good as a Suhr guitar , other strats I’ve owned and other higher end instruments I’ve have .

But a stock squier isn’t the same as a fender strat , but there are some really cheesy American Stratocaster starting off at 1k that wouldn’t nearly match the squier I Frankensteined
We are in 100% agreement. I’ve made a few guitars and while not the prettiest, they always ended up among the best playing guitars that I own.  But that extra effort that we put into those guitars added quality that was otherwise obviously lacking from a $300 off the rack monstrosity.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Pidcin

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 04:46:15 PM »

We are in 100% agreement. I’ve made a few guitars and while not the prettiest, they always ended up among the best playing guitars that I own.  But that extra effort that we put into those guitars added quality that was otherwise obviously lacking from a $300 off the rack monstrosity.

LOL yup! 

Ahhh the GAS.

The suhrs, Anderson’s, Gibson’s, fenders and all the other instruments out there , what a wonderful world we live in

LoboLives

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 08:31:41 PM »

This. Why try and live someone else’s dream? They should be focusing on getting inspired by synths of the past and expand on them and innovate from them instead of doing low budget copies. Where’s the identity?

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 11:57:21 PM »

There is a term for that in the good ol' computer world: vaporware ... Promises are rarely kept when the very first version of the product / software is made available.

I made a choice last year to buy the Rev2 instead of the DM12, mainly based on recommendations of several shops (in two countries) and my own son. I am very grateful I listened. The Rev2 is my first DSI instrument and it made me want more DSI gear. A second hand Evolver came soon after and they are now my main work horses  :).

Having said all that and following the Internet trail of reviews, videos and what not, I am starting to be more impressed with what Behringer is producing. Perhaps Behringer is not just looking at creating vaporware. They seem to be genuinely interested in customer input, but at the stage before going to market. The kind of support and help I have been getting from DSI with my Evolver is beyond excellent. I cannot see how Behringer can afford this quality of (individual) support for their existing synth products. The best they can do is offer quick and fast product replacements..... I believe fixing issues and providing long term reliability support won't be possible at that price point.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

dsetto

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2018, 01:22:46 PM »
Re: original post.

I like the attitude of taking things slowly, matching primary current needs or persistent, loud wants with existing options. There's definitely "change" in the forecast. Always is, though. And the response to it can have elements of both uneasiness & promise.

I look forward to DSI's pursuits. I value his past output & I am a fan. I appreciate what Uli Behringer is doing & proposing. I feel fortunate knowing that there exists today all I could want. Who knows if those items will be around if & when I ever have the opening for an addition or replacement. And I have no idea what my want will be then. ...

I do know ... humans simultaneously have a pull-push relationship with herds. Some more than others. And that will influence my want, the day one presents itself. 

Pidcin

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2018, 02:40:27 PM »
Re: original post.

I like the attitude of taking things slowly, matching primary current needs or persistent, loud wants with existing options. There's definitely "change" in the forecast. Always is, though. And the response to it can have elements of both uneasiness & promise.

I look forward to DSI's pursuits. I value his past output & I am a fan. I appreciate what Uli Behringer is doing & proposing. I feel fortunate knowing that there exists today all I could want. Who knows if those items will be around if & when I ever have the opening for an addition or replacement. And I have no idea what my want will be then. ...

I do know ... humans simultaneously have a pull-push relationship with herds. Some more than others. And that will influence my want, the day one presents itself.

A wonderful way of thinking ,

Thanks for your thoughts yoda-synth  :o

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2018, 02:49:40 PM »
I do know ... humans simultaneously have a pull-push relationship with herds.

I love your writing style, Dsetto.  I vote the above quote the most outstanding and memorable line on the forum yet.

Pidcin

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2018, 02:54:52 PM »
I do know ... humans simultaneously have a pull-push relationship with herds.

I love your writing style, Dsetto.  I vote the above quote the most outstanding and memorable line on the forum yet.

+1

dslsynth

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 03:09:24 PM »
There is a term for that in the good ol' computer world: vaporware ... Promises are rarely kept when the very first version of the product / software is made available.

Indeed. But when announcing so far in advance its almost a "hey wait for us!" type of happening. So one could hope that potential customers develop a condition known as "vapor wear" which causes them to wait until the product actually is there before consider buying it.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 08:23:12 PM »
I've owed exactly 2 pieces of B-gear in the last 20 years. The first, a 6 out headphone amp, died very prematurely. Years later I find myself with the ADA-8200 and so far it has been uneventful. Does the job without having to think about it. Seems on par with my Saffire Pro 40 as far as signal to noise and stuff like that goes. So B-gear is 50/50 for me. I wasn't thinking of the D Clone as being something I would want...I have an original Model D in the studio already...but after hearing a few demos I think I will have to grab one. If for no other reason then solely as a back up for the Model D when it eventually fails. And fail it will. For the price and from what I heard, these things are going to be hard to keep in stock for any retailer.

As for the B-OB clone, if the price is right ($500-$800) I will acquire.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 08:25:39 PM by Chimponaut »
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2018, 06:48:48 PM »
Well, to reply to a lot of comments about so called vapourware, my Behringer Model D arrived today. Works fine, seems solidly built and most importantly, it sounds fantastic.
Roll on the UBX-a.