MicroBrute2

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Re: MicroBrute2
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 08:11:39 AM »
Certainly a clever move to cater to the Eurorack scene, whether they will eventually introduce their own modules or not.

Well, yeah. Arturia had a strong presence in eurorack already, thanks to the Beat Step Pro being sort of the de facto standard eurorack controller, so they'll be able to leverage their brand quite well. I'd be surprised if a "Link" dock for BSP wasn't in the works. And Arturia is more mainstream ("mainstream" here meaning "found at Guitar Center") than most eurorack makers.

Oh no, this makes getting started with Eurorack way to easy. Now I will have to start getting modules ......  ;)

First of all, yes... yes you will. But also, it's always been this easy. See Tip Top Mantis or Make Noise Powered Skiff for things that you can just plop modules into and go. But now, like I said above, you'll probably be able to just drive to Guitar Center and pick up a eurorack case.

While I think that the 6U pricepoint is nice, I'm not so sure about the 3U at $300 USD. I'd go with the Make Noise Powered Skiff, which is a little bigger and a little less, unless I really really wanted it to be connected to a MiniBrute 2.
Ah thanks chysn. I have avoided the subject of modular, even though I "grew" up with it having been an admirer of Klaus Schulze for many years.

I am kind of proof of the pudding, referring to your comment about Guitar Center: Arturia might have just lowered the entry barrier to starting modular. The video of the young woman carrying a Rackbrute in a carrier bag is very impressive and cool  8).
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 08:19:03 AM »
If anyone has any questions I have the Sequencer version and 6U rack here.

It is a pre-production model, there are some slight differences to the release version: Envelopes are slightly different, the patchbay has some incorrect labels, the lettering on the pads has changed and the psu in the 6U rack has also changed position with the power board on the top rather than the bottom.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 08:30:06 AM »

It is a pre-production model, there are some slight differences to the release version: Envelopes are slightly different, the patchbay has some incorrect labels, the lettering on the pads has changed and the psu in the 6U rack has also changed position with the power board on the top rather than the bottom.
Wow impressive. I noticed on the Arturia videos the 6U rack doesn't seem to have connectors on the backplane of the bottom rack. The top rack does seem to have connectors. How do the modules in the bottom half get their power/signalling?

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 08:31:20 AM »

Wow impressive. I noticed on the Arturia videos the 6U rack doesn't seem to have connectors on the backplane of the bottom rack. The top rack does seem to have connectors. How do the modules in the bottom half get their power/signalling?

There are horizontal (perpendicular to the PCB) and vertical (parallel to the PCB) power connectors, which implies that you probably want to fill up the bottom row first....
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 08:38:16 AM »
You can see them at the bottom in this image:

chysn

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 09:34:17 AM »
Eurorack power cables are six or eight inches or so, so you just plug into the closest connector on the busboard.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 09:50:32 AM »
You can see them at the bottom in this image:
Ah nice, thanx, much to learn  :)

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 06:55:58 PM »
Certainly a clever move to cater to the Eurorack scene, whether they will eventually introduce their own modules or not.

Well, yeah. Arturia had a strong presence in eurorack already, thanks to the Beat Step Pro being sort of the de facto standard eurorack controller, so they'll be able to leverage their brand quite well. I'd be surprised if a "Link" dock for BSP wasn't in the works. And Arturia is more mainstream ("mainstream" here meaning "found at Guitar Center") than most eurorack makers.

Oh no, this makes getting started with Eurorack way to easy. Now I will have to start getting modules ......  ;)

First of all, yes... yes you will. But also, it's always been this easy. See Tip Top Mantis or Make Noise Powered Skiff for things that you can just plop modules into and go. But now, like I said above, you'll probably be able to just drive to Guitar Center and pick up a eurorack case.

While I think that the 6U pricepoint is nice, I'm not so sure about the 3U at $300 USD. I'd go with the Make Noise Powered Skiff, which is a little bigger and a little less, unless I really really wanted it to be connected to a MiniBrute 2.

Deary, deary me, I'm already looking at my job list for the next month and seeing how I can squeeze the 6U version out of there.  It's been a long time coming and I think having skiffs for sale in the place I buy cables from is going to be the beginning of it all.  Living on an island tends to make even the cheap skiffs expensive and thin on the ground locally.  I like Arturia, even if they are now selling gateway drugs at the corner store ;)