MicroBrute2

chysn

MicroBrute2
« on: January 15, 2018, 06:17:35 AM »
This is pretty cool.

https://www.arturia.com/minibrute-2-landing

The question "does the world need another small mono analog synth?" is a serious one. In my opinion the answer is "No, unless it does something new to justify its existence." I think MiniBrute2 fits the bill. It's got 48 patch points, putting pretty much everything on the panel under CV control, and providing common modular utilities like an attenuator and a patchable VCA.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

Re: MicroBrute2
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 06:46:16 AM »
No interest.

I want my PolyBrute!

chysn

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 08:04:00 AM »
I think they missed out on the opportunity to call it the Et-2-Brute
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 08:19:50 AM »
Interesting. Looks like a cool update. The added, albeit simple, 2nd oscillator plus FM, arpeggiator and sequencer (in the classic MiniBrute versions that was either or), the massive patchbay, and Link (cool!) make this look very tasty. Of course it'll eventually depend on its price how competitive this is going to be. But for what it is, as far as one can tell now, it seems to be a great beginner's synth with loads of options to grow with further equipment (Eurorack and other CV-compatible devices).

[Edit: Sweetwater has it listed for $649.00.]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:46:12 AM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 08:23:17 AM »

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 09:31:44 AM »
I just hope they have something else up their sleeve in addition to this. Seems like a bit of a step backwards after the Matrixbrute.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 09:51:14 AM »
I just hope they have something else up their sleeve in addition to this. Seems like a bit of a step backwards after the Matrixbrute.

Not really a step backwards. There's not that much they can do beyond the MatrixBrute in the analog mono realm. And the MiniBrute 2 fills the spot between the original MiniBrute and the MatrixBrute.

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 10:23:34 AM »

Not really a step backwards. There's not that much they can do beyond the MatrixBrute in the analog mono realm. And the MiniBrute 2 fills the spot between the original MiniBrute and the MatrixBrute.

I suppose. Just sort of sick of monosynths at this point. Even the Matrixbrute I thought was lacking in some critical features.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 01:17:25 PM »
but honestly... I find that the colors on it make it look bad... just my opinion though...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 12:19:35 AM »
Hmmm, with the issues the first Brutes have with unreliable hardware, I'm wary.  I own a MiniBrute and it's not had any issues but I do tend to only use the main switches not so much the ones that are being reporting as bung.  It's a nice enough synth, has it's own sound and all.  Needed an update really though to address some niggles like a lack of a decent modulation matrix and no velocity.

It looks like a mashing of the Mini and MicroBrutes with the subosc now called OSC2 and given a range setting as well as a third shape.  The dumbing-down of the VCA env is wtf at first but then it's not really a step backwards given the way the env on my 'Brute sits basically like that anyway.  The patch bay is pretty nice with all the right stuff being given it's own patch point.  Second LFO is great, but I'm wondering if it's really a secondary function of OSC2 as one of the OSC2 range settngs is LFO.

but honestly... I find that the colors on it make it look bad... just my opinion though...

Don't worry, in 6 months time Arturia will do is release a Ltd model in a range of wonderful colours.  I want one in burnt green.

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 12:24:37 AM »
The second LFO is separate to OSC2.

You can also patch the other ADSR envelope to control the VCA if you want.

chysn

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 05:16:35 AM »
Hmmm, with the issues the first Brutes have with unreliable hardware, I'm wary.

Build-quality-wise, Arturia sits below DSI and above Korg. I've had a MicroBrute for 4.5 years, and it hasn't let me down yet. I wouldn't gig with it, though, it's definitely a homebody.

Don't worry, in 6 months time Arturia will do is release a Ltd model in a range of wonderful colours.  I want one in burnt green.

Totally. I wish the red Micro had been available when I got mine, to match my red Little Phatty.

In other news

https://www.arturia.com/minibrute-2-landing#mb-2s

This is a MiniBrute 2 module, but with a three-layer sequencer and pads instead of keys. This is the one I would get, if I were to get one at all. This one would go really well with a modular system.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 03:34:39 PM »
Hmmm, with the issues the first Brutes have with unreliable hardware, I'm wary.

Build-quality-wise, Arturia sits below DSI and above Korg. I've had a MicroBrute for 4.5 years, and it hasn't let me down yet. I wouldn't gig with it, though, it's definitely a homebody.

Totally. I wish the red Micro had been available when I got mine, to match my red Little Phatty.

I've had no issues with Arturia's quality at all, I've even sat on my Keystep and it's not got any dodgy keys or a bend frame from the plonk-down.  I'm only worried because a mate who does gig had the swing rotary switch fuse-on, which is something I seen a lot of people on the 'net say.  If it wasn't so close to home I'd write it all off as "I'm on an internet user forum of course it seems like they are all broken".  Anyway all the complaints came from the rotary switches in the arp cluster, which is now gone.

In other news

https://www.arturia.com/minibrute-2-landing#mb-2s

This is a MiniBrute 2 module, but with a three-layer sequencer and pads instead of keys. This is the one I would get, if I were to get one at all. This one would go really well with a modular system.

Or either of the originals

BOOM!

https://ask.audio/articles/arturia-announces-minibrute-2s-semimodular-analog-sequencing-synth-review

My word, that is a very tasty looking demo, synth lessons aside.  And wooden end cheeks too.  FM sounds great.  The CV sequencing is much more advanced compared to the 'Steps.

My brain must have been a little broken yesterday as I missed stuff on the front face that's being shown to me in the video.

chysn

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 03:45:01 AM »
Apparently, those red slots at the back of the wooden cheeks are there to lock the MiniBrutes 2 into a eurorack case. I'm not finding anything on the Arturia website about that, but maybe it'll be their announcement today.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 04:28:20 AM »
Apparently, those red slots at the back of the wooden cheeks are there to lock the MiniBrutes 2 into a eurorack case. I'm not finding anything on the Arturia website about that, but maybe it'll be their announcement today.

Yeah, there's supposed to be something called RackBrute. I also came to realize that they call these red slots "Link". When they mentioned that term in the first video, I was thinking of Ableton's Link because that's the only Link that's currently established. So I initially thought of a wireless sync option for the sequencer. This Link version, however, is probably meant to attach a Eurorack case made by Arturia to the MiniBrute 2/2S.

chysn

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 05:21:24 AM »
https://www.arturia.com/rackbrute-6u/overview

$399 (USD) is a decent price for a 6U x 88HP case, even if you don't plan to buy one of the MiniBrutes 2.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 05:52:39 AM »

$399 (USD) is a decent price for a 6U x 88HP case, even if you don't plan to buy one of the MiniBrutes 2.

Certainly a clever move to cater to the Eurorack scene, whether they will eventually introduce their own modules or not.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 06:10:42 AM »

Certainly a clever move to cater to the Eurorack scene, whether they will eventually introduce their own modules or not.
Oh no, this makes getting started with Eurorack way to easy. Now I will have to start getting modules ......

;)
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

chysn

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 07:53:25 AM »

Well, yeah. Arturia had a strong presence in eurorack already, thanks to the Beat Step Pro being sort of the de facto standard eurorack controller, so they'll be able to leverage their brand quite well. I'd be surprised if a "Link" dock for BSP wasn't in the works. And Arturia is more mainstream ("mainstream" here meaning "found at Guitar Center") than most eurorack makers.

Oh no, this makes getting started with Eurorack way to easy. Now I will have to start getting modules ......  ;)

First of all, yes... yes you will. But also, it's always been this easy. See Tip Top Mantis or Make Noise Powered Skiff for things that you can just plop modules into and go. But now, like I said above, you'll probably be able to just drive to Guitar Center and pick up a eurorack case.

While I think that the 6U pricepoint is nice, I'm not so sure about the 3U at $300 USD. I'd go with the Make Noise Powered Skiff, which is a little bigger and a little less, unless I really really wanted it to be connected to a MiniBrute 2.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:56:30 AM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his