Recording with tempest!!???

Pidcin

Recording with tempest!!???
« on: January 13, 2018, 03:33:21 PM »
I recorded a bass track on pad 1, it has 2 voices

I recorded a synth pad on pad 2, it has 2 voices as well but am playing about 4 notes per chord ..

When I play it back the synth part only plays 1 note!

What is this nonsense ?

Re: Recording with tempest!!???
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 08:53:43 PM »
I recorded a bass track on pad 1, it has 2 voices

I recorded a synth pad on pad 2, it has 2 voices as well but am playing about 4 notes per chord ..

What is this nonsense ?

Although you can physically play each sound on the Tempest polyphonically, each track of the sequencer is monophonic.  So if you want to record polyphonic parts, the best you can do is copy the same sound to multiple pads and record each chordal interval as a separate melodic line.  Alternatively, you could tune each of the four oscillators [per sound] to the notes of the desired chord(s), have a different chord on each pad, and play your progression that way.

The community campaigned for polyphonic recording for years, but ultimately DSI decided that such functionality would complicate the GUI.  I personally disagree with that assessment; but to be fair, the Tempest was envisioned as a drum machine, and the sequencer is more than adequate for that.

Cheers!

Pidcin

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:22:45 PM »
I recorded a bass track on pad 1, it has 2 voices q

What is this nonsense ?

Although you can physically play each sound on the Tempest polyphonically, each track of the sequencer is monophonic.  So if you want to record polyphonic parts, the best you can do is copy the same sound to multiple pads and record each chordal interval as a separate melodic line.  Alternatively, you could tune each of the four oscillators [per sound] to the notes of the desired chord(s), have a different chord on each pad, and play your progression that way.

The community campaigned for polyphonic recording for years, but ultimately DSI decided that such functionality would complicate the GUI.  I personally disagree with that assessment; but to be fair, the Tempest was envisioned as a drum machine, and the sequencer is more than adequate for that.

Cheers!

Yeah ehhhh, no kidding.

Wish they would make a brand new OS , remove a few features and add a few more ...

But do you know if there’s a way to play trigger a chord without having to tune 4 oscillators pitch’s? Example ... to hit one pad that has only 2 oscillators which has 6 notes in the chord ?

Also I understand the tempest is 6 voices ? But I find that hard to believe because I just put 10 fingers down on my midi controller and heard all 10 notes and for sure there are beats in the tempest that have more than 6 pads playing at once ... could someone explain this ?

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 09:43:37 PM »
But do you know if there’s a way to play trigger a chord without having to tune 4 oscillators pitch’s? Example ... to hit one pad that has only 2 oscillators which has 6 notes in the chord ?

Also I understand the tempest is 6 voices ? But I find that hard to believe because I just put 10 fingers down on my midi controller and heard all 10 notes and for sure there are beats in the tempest that have more than 6 pads playing at once ... could someone explain this ?

The answer to question number one is, no.  There is no way to trigger chords from a single pad, unless you tune the oscillators to different intervals as I described above.

With regards to the polyphony question... I personally guarantee that you did not hear more than 6 notes playing at once.  That is a physical impossibility, given the Tempest's voice architecture.  That said, if you were playing a sound wherein the oscillators were tuned to fifths (or some other interval), there might well be the illusion that 10 notes were sounding at once.

As for those beats where you see more than 6 pads playing per step... The sequencer will actually allow 8 events per step to be recorded, but again, only 6 sounds can be playing at once.  Guys often take advantage of this by recording variations on other pads, keeping those pads muted, and swapping parts by playing the mutes...

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:48:19 PM by John the Savage »

Pidcin

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 09:55:07 PM »

The answer to question number one is, no.  There is no way to trigger chords from a single pad, unless you tune the oscillators to different intervals as I described above.

With regards to the polyphony question... I personally guarantee that you did not hear more than 6 notes playing at once.  That is a physical impossibility, given the Tempest's voice architecture.  That said, if you were playing a sound wherein the oscillators were tuned to fifths (or some other interval), there might well be the illusion that 10 notes were sounding at once.

As for those beats where you see more than 6 pads playing per step... The sequencer will actually allow 8 events per step to be recorded, but again, only 6 sounds can be playing at once.  Guys often take advantage of this by recording variations on other pads, keeping those pads muted, and swapping parts by playing the mutes...

Cheers!

I swear to god .. I just tried again ... I played the midi controller and just hammered down 7 distinct notes and heard all of them

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 10:04:50 PM »
Don't know what to tell you, man... 7 notes you may well have heard, but certainly no more than 6 of them at once (wink).  Gotta go.  Have a good day, or night, wherever in the world you are...

Cheers!

Pidcin

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 10:09:34 PM »
Don't know what to tell you, man... 7 notes you may well have heard, but certainly no more than 6 of them at once (wink).  Gotta go.  Have a good day, or night, wherever in the world you are...

Cheers!

Goodnight brother man!

Nick from Toronto , canaduhhhh

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 02:04:51 PM »
hey pidcin,
here's how i play simple chords on the tempest: choose 4 waveforms, ajust the levels and tune the second osc to a 3rd, osc 3 to a fifth and osc 4 to an ocatve. now assign fx slider via mod matrix to the pitch of osc 2 and then set the amount to a semitone. now you can play chords in 16 tunings mode and change between minor and major with the slider. and if you want it a bit more complex you can use slider 2 to tune down osc 4 to a 7th or whatever you want and you still have a sub osc that gives you a low octave.

Pidcin

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 02:42:31 PM »
hey pidcin,
here's how i play simple chords on the tempest: choose 4 waveforms, ajust the levels and tune the second osc to a 3rd, osc 3 to a fifth and osc 4 to an ocatve. now assign fx slider via mod matrix to the pitch of osc 2 and then set the amount to a semitone. now you can play chords in 16 tunings mode and change between minor and major with the slider. and if you want it a bit more complex you can use slider 2 to tune down osc 4 to a 7th or whatever you want and you still have a sub osc that gives you a low octave.

Sick man, would you know why I’m not able to record my pitch wheel and mod wheel? I was playing a bass line on my controller , I hooked up the pitch wheel to go down an octave , and mod wheel to do LFO on pitch for vibrato , and it all works when I play but when I click record neither the pitch wheel or mod wheel gets recorded?

When I designed the sounds I could record with the pitch wheel and mod wheel but since I’ve saved it and turned the tempest back on it’s not recording them. I can only hear it when I play .

Any advise ?

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 12:07:16 PM »
make sure the playback button is on. =)

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 12:12:47 PM »
sorry, didn't read properly. you can't record that on the tempest. only the sliders on the tempest itself.

Pidcin

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 12:42:53 PM »
sorry, didn't read properly. you can't record that on the tempest. only the sliders on the tempest itself.

Thank you , thank you , thank you for your transparent , simple to understand and humble response .

You should have seen the other clown who responded to me in the other topic I posted “ first off go read the manual “ secondly “ go research the forum “
And “good luck learning it” was basically how I was spoken to .

It’s not a huge set back though, I can click the record button and assign the sliders to those same mods and recreate them anyway. Or just plug in the audio into a DAW and recording audio signal .

I’ve been really trying to push the limits of the tempest in terms of sequencing and trying to record full tracks.

My current project is 24k magic by Bruno mars . I lifted the drum track, synth bass, synth stabs and synth leads , and the 6 voices are starting to seem not enough!

Now, my kind friend , would you know if the tempest has the ability to poly chain for more voices ?

Do you know how poly chaining works ? Is it possible to poly chain two separate devices ? Like if I could poly chain the prophet 6 to the tempest , and let the tempest play notes and the prophet 6 synth produces the sounds based off the settings on the prophet 6, thus not using any of the voices from the tempest ?

Thanks again!

dslsynth

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 02:42:38 PM »
You should have seen the other clown who responded to me in the other topic I posted “ first off go read the manual “ secondly “ go research the forum “

A forum community like this one works much better when people are friendly to each other. Personally I am not so sure about the friendliness of that "clown" nomination.

When it comes to forum discussions of complex topics one usually ends up in the serve fish versus teach how to fish debate. Fact is that it takes a lot of time to write a useful response and sometimes people want solutions served rather than having the patience to read up on it.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Pidcin

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 03:05:53 PM »

A forum community like this one works much better when people are friendly to each other. Personally I am not so sure about the friendliness of that "clown" nomination.

When it comes to forum discussions of complex topics one usually ends up in the serve fish versus teach how to fish debate. Fact is that it takes a lot of time to write a useful response and sometimes people want solutions served rather than having the patience to read up on it.

Well, I guess you’re right. Calling him a clown was wrong . he isn’t a clown, I was upset from our discussion. And perhaps took it too far . I do have a heart . It’s about the size of the grinch’s heart
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:08:05 PM by Pidcin »

Pidcin

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 03:08:52 PM »
make sure the playback button is on. =)

LOL . Read it a bit late. But that was funny

Pidcin

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 03:17:59 PM »

And I’ve done lots of reading . I just read your message totally unrelated to the post :p I’m kidding. Just being a clown myself.

But truthfully I’ve gone over the manual and what not , it’s good. Sometimes a bit hard to comprehend . But I’ve tried . My grade 2 literacy skills make it a bit challenging to put it to use but with the help of all you wonderful people, well get there together . Together forever 1000 times forever and ever together 100,000 times with schenzyuan sauce 1000 times together forever on the DSI forum 1000 times

dslsynth

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 03:37:25 PM »
But truthfully I’ve gone over the manual and what not , it’s good. Sometimes a bit hard to comprehend . But I’ve tried . My grade 2 literacy skills make it a bit challenging to put it to use but with the help of all you wonderful people, well get there together .

You should have seen me when I started out with synthesizers. There are quite a few things to learn and understand. It does help having a technical background but its still new concepts and lots stuff to learn. Then add the fact that most synthesizer manuals describes what parameters are there and how they work but not how to use them.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Pidcin

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 03:44:40 PM »
But truthfully I’ve gone over the manual and what not , it’s good. Sometimes a bit hard to comprehend . But I’ve tried . My grade 2 literacy skills make it a bit challenging to put it to use but with the help of all you wonderful people, well get there together .

You should have seen me when I started out with synthesizers. There are quite a few things to learn and understand. It does help having a technical background but its still new concepts and lots stuff to learn. Then add the fact that most synthesizer manuals describes what parameters are there and how they work but not how to use them.

Very true , very true indeed

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 01:42:06 PM »
easy..=) you can't polychain a synth to the tempest. but you can send monophonic midi from the tempest's sequenzer.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:46:42 PM by Sontag »

Pidcin

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 02:21:52 PM »
easy..=) you can't polychain a synth to the tempest. but you can send monophonic midi from the tempest's sequenzer.

Thanks!