2018 the year the String Machines/Vocoders came back...

Shaw

Re: 2018 the year the String Machines/Vocoders came back...
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 10:32:51 AM »
Just as well.  Those old string machines sound terrible with a dry signal.
HA.  Good one.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 10:56:21 AM »
Just as well.  Those old string machines sound terrible with a dry signal.

Indeed, hehe.

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 09:32:11 AM »
Reading up a bit on the history of these, and the origins of the Solina in a Dutch organ company. This was my first encounter with electronic music instruments: electric organs in the 1970s that had basic strings and booom tsssss rhythm sections built in. They were very common in Dutch households around that time, my parents did not have one though... Some of these organs must have been Eminents.

LoboLives

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 08:53:49 PM »
I’m sold...

Shaw

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2018, 06:53:24 AM »
I’m sold...

That should have come with a cheese warning....
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 07:26:50 AM »

Shaw

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 07:32:00 AM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 08:01:03 AM »
Goodness gracious.  I worked through that video late last night.  It was hard, but I did it for the love of synthesizers.  I was about to post it here, but then I thought it might be cruel and unusual punishment for my fellow synthesists.  I tried to spare you, fellas, I really did, but in the end LoboLives got you.

No cheese warning known to man could have been sufficient.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 08:03:22 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2018, 08:28:25 AM »
I wish he demoed some of the Choir and String sounds more but even still the break in the vocal section tells me that I'll be grabbing this one for sure.

dslsynth

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 12:18:03 PM »
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 11:10:39 PM »
My favourite bit is when he starts to chat-up the synth towards the middle, bloody hilarious!

LoboLives

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 03:11:10 AM »
HOLY S***

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 09:02:29 AM »
Sounds good for what it is, but why on earth a three-octave keyboard?

LoboLives

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 09:37:26 AM »
Sounds good for what it is, but why on earth a three-octave keyboard?

Cause 5 isn't needed. If it is...midi 101.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 09:40:08 AM »
So you buy a three-octave keyboard so you can control it with a five-octave keyboard by MIDI?

LoboLives

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2018, 09:59:23 AM »
So you buy a three-octave keyboard so you can control it with a five-octave keyboard by MIDI?

I don't require five octaves. It's not what I'd use it for.

I don't buy synth for the octaves I buy them for the sound. 5 octaves are only needed to me when it's bi-timbral or multitimbral.

Just a personal preference.

Mr. Firechild seems to get quite the bit of millage out of three octaves.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2018, 10:24:13 AM »
And what else should he do?  He's limited to three octaves, and so he uses only three octaves as best he can.  I'm quite certain if there had been five available, he would have happily made use of them for a much fuller sound.  With only three octaves, the bass will obviously have to come from some other source. 

If a synthesizer is only a sound source, then let it be a module.  If it's a musical instrument, then fully equip it for music-making with a generous keyboard.  I mean, at least Roland gave the original instrument four octaves.  That was generally the keyboard length of string synthesizers.

This dumbing-down of instruments drives me crazy, as if the music itself was only an afterthought.  More parameters, more functions, more effects, more computers...and fewer keys.  It's materialism killing art. 

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 10:34:39 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2018, 10:34:35 AM »
And what else should he do?  He's limited to three octaves, and so he uses only three octaves as best he can.  I'm quite certain if there had been five available, he would have happily made use of them for a much fuller sound.  If a synth is only a sound source, then let it be a module.  If it's a musical instrument, then fully equip it for music-making with a generous keyboard.  I mean, at least Roland gave the original instrument four octaves. 

This dumbing-down of instruments drives me crazy, as if the music itself was only an afterthought.  More parameters, more functions, more effects, more computers...and fewer keys.  It's materialism killing art.     

Just as a guitar doesn't HAVE to have 24 frets, it can have 22. It's HOW you use the tools you have, not the tools themselves. I don't require 5 octaves on my Prophet 6 or 4 octaves on my Two Voice.  I use those limitations as inspiration on how I approach each instrument as if they are part of an orchestra. But if you "MUST" have 10 octaves in order to be creative.

well

Midi 101-There is no "Must".

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2018, 10:44:48 AM »
But if you "MUST" have 10 octaves in order to be creative.

well....

Well what?  Would you like to lecture Bach and Mozart for "needing" so many keys?  You seem to be implying that wanting a generous supply of musical potential is a sign of a lack of talent!   The point is in always having as much as you may need in any given piece of music.  To state the obvious, if you need only three-octaves, then a five-octave keyboard will do just fine.  But if you've got only three octaves and you need more - what, an octave button?  Click, click, click in the beginning, middle, and end of a difficult keyboard performance?

What annoys me in this shrinking of synthesizers is that it makes it impossible to perform many full-fledged pieces of music on a single instrument.  Sure, you could do it if you had to, but it would sound miserably incomplete.  Bass is an important range and quality - I would call it a musical virtue - and it's frustrating to see it missing from a keyboard.  It means you've got to find your bass elsewhere.

Honestly, three octaves wouldn't even cover many of my melodies. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:09:11 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2018, 11:07:50 AM »
But if you "MUST" have 10 octaves in order to be creative.

well....

Well what?  Would you like to lecture Bach and Mozart for "needing" so many keys?  You seem to be implying that wanting a generous supply of musical potential is a sign of a lack of talent!   The point is in always having as much as you may need in any given piece of music.  To state the obvious, if you need only three-octaves, then a five-octave keyboard will do just fine.  But if you've got only three octaves and you need more - what, an octave button?  Click, click, click in the beginning, middle, and end of a difficult keyboard performance?

What annoys me in this shrinking of synthesizers is that it makes it impossible to perform full-fledged pieces of music on a single instrument.  Sure, you could do it if you had to, but it would sound miserably incomplete.  Bass is an important range and quality - I would call it a musical virtue - and it's frustrating to see it missing from a keyboard.  It means you've got to find your bass elsewhere.

Again Midi 101. Get a controller.

If synthesizers weren't shrinking you most people wouldn't be able to afford them.