2018 the year the String Machines/Vocoders came back...

Sacred Synthesis

Re: 2018 the year the String Machines/Vocoders came back...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 01:33:08 PM »
I've often wished someone would release one of those old string machines.  I'd like to have something like an Elka Rhapsody or an ARP Omni.  They're quite handy in the craft of electronic orchestration as dedicated instruments.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 05:02:53 PM »
That's sorta annoying...not that I really have anywhere to put another keyboard.

chysn

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:53:08 PM »
The string machine is a class of instrument that I simply... don't... get. Why would anyone buy any string machine over a Prophet 08? Or... hell, over a Kawai K1, for that matter?

Sure, my experience with them is limited to like one; the store where I used to work had an ARP Quartet fifteen years ago, and that thing sounded just awful. But even if you could reasonably counter that I've never known the beauty of a good string machine, a polyphonic synth just seems so much better.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 09:10:26 PM »
I agree, the ARP Quartet sounded terrible, especially the organ.  But there have been a few string synthesizers that sounded quite warm and beautiful, such as the ARP Omni.  I had an Elka Rhapsody 490, and even that sounded beautiful when used judiciously.

I think what sets these string synthesizers apart from a Prophet '08 emulation is the paraphony, the built-in chorus, and the ability to combine sometimes three octaves of strings at once.  You just can't do that on a single P'08/Rev2.  But if you could, it still wouldn't be the exact same sound, certainly not regarding those wonderfully dreamy paraphonic attacks and releases.   

There's a very distinct effect these instruments have when they're part of an ensemble.  I admit, alone they don't sound too impressive - kind of buzzy.  But processed or in an ensemble something magical happens.

There's also much to be said for having a dedicated string synthesizer. 

Here are three example of serene string machine music.  I've always liked these:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:29:17 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 01:05:03 AM »
I hope, that Waldorf did the most important thing: Make the ensemble ANALOG, and exchanged the digital FX section with an analog one, preferably a clone of the SmallStone Phaser...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 03:23:08 AM »
I hope, that Waldorf did the most important thing: Make the ensemble ANALOG, and exchanged the digital FX section with an analog one, preferably a clone of the SmallStone Phaser...

Doubt it sadly.

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 03:51:59 AM »
I agree, the ARP Quartet sounded terrible, especially the organ.  But there have been a few string synthesizers that sounded quite warm and beautiful, such as the ARP Omni.  I had an Elka Rhapsody 490, and even that sounded beautiful when used judiciously.

I think what sets these string synthesizers apart from a Prophet '08 emulation is the paraphony, the built-in chorus, and the ability to combine sometimes three octaves of strings at once.  You just can't do that on a single P'08/Rev2.  But if you could, it still wouldn't be the exact same sound, certainly not regarding those wonderfully dreamy paraphonic attacks and releases.   

There's a very distinct effect these instruments have when they're part of an ensemble.  I admit, alone they don't sound too impressive - kind of buzzy.  But processed or in an ensemble something magical happens.

There's also much to be said for having a dedicated string synthesizer. 

Here are three example of serene string machine music.  I've always liked these:

Agreed. I think stuff like the Solina or Crumar Orchestrator do have a unique character to them that you really can't get out of analog synths. You can emulate it but it's still not accurate and there's nothing quite like an analog string machine or analog vocoder running through a nice analog reverb or delay or analog phaser.

LoboLives

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 03:57:47 AM »
Actually it would be sort of nice to see Moog do a paraphonic string machine. They already have a paraphonic phatty with the Sub 37 but if they could somehow just add two more notes and include an on board 12-stage Moogferfoger Phaser and delay....drools...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 09:10:29 PM »
I do think the paraphonic envelopes have much to do with the uniqueness of the vintage string machine.  And when you use a long release time, something else happens.  Even after the release has faded, there's still a ringing of notes, almost like a VCA Level is up a tad.  There's the sound, still shimmering softly in the background.  It's probably a flaw in the instrument's design that ends up being attractive, like the over-driven oscillators of a Model D.

I think many of us would find it useful if modern polyphonic synthesizers had the ability to emulate the paraphonic effect.  It seems to be getting popular again, but it would be nice feature added to a "normal" polyphonic instrument.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:12:32 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 05:53:04 AM »

The Waldorf STVC is based on the Streichfett with an added vocoder.

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 05:46:56 AM »
The official STVC site is online now: https://waldorfmusic.com/en/stvc

Shaw

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 07:12:23 PM »
The official STVC site is online now: https://waldorfmusic.com/en/stvc
I was skeptical of the SVTC at first, but the more I hear, the more I like.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 09:17:52 AM »
Maybe.  Uli is playing that game of his.

LoboLives

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 09:57:12 AM »
Maybe.  Uli is playing that game of his.

Maybe, maybe not. If anything good on him for doing something no other manufacturer is bothering at doing: Analog String Machines and Analog Vocoders.

Sacred Synthesis

LoboLives

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 10:13:03 AM »
Maybe, maybe not.

:D

Did you see the UBXa video? Where they opened an OBXa and were talking about what makes it's sound and the interior workings of it.

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 10:19:59 AM »
and now...Solina....

I once got one for free on top of a vintage Fender Rhodes MkII. I gave the Solina to a friend who ended up using it as a stage prop for an open air performance, where it eventually said goobye in the rain.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 10:23:13 AM »
Just as well.  Those old string machines sound terrible with a dry signal.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:28:53 AM by Sacred Synthesis »