Finish on walnut sides?

Finish on walnut sides?
« on: November 25, 2017, 09:28:28 PM »
I'm working on a custom synth case and I'd like to match the walnut panels on my Prophet 6. Anyone know what finish was used on them?

lt773

Re: Finish on walnut sides?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 10:52:51 AM »
To me it seems like a semi gloss or matte polyurethane finish. Or possibly a mix of both to get the right sheen.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 03:47:44 PM »
Here's the scoop. Walnut wood sanded to 320 and then stained with Minwax Special Walnut, one light coat.  You can get this stain pretty much anywhere, I know Home Depot has it for sure.  Rub it on, wait 5-10 minutes, wipe off excess.  Let dry at least 24 hours prior to finishing.

For finish, we use Watco Lacquer mixed 50% gloss, 50% satin.  If you use a spray can, the semi-gloss will be close.  Spray can Deft might work also.  This is a little harder to find.  Lowe's used to carry but I don’t think they do any more, at least in pints and quarts.  Here’s a link for a spray can.

SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 12:29:39 AM »
Here's the scoop. Walnut wood sanded to 320 and then stained with Minwax Special Walnut, one light coat.  You can get this stain pretty much anywhere, I know Home Depot has it for sure.  Rub it on, wait 5-10 minutes, wipe off excess.  Let dry at least 24 hours prior to finishing.

For finish, we use Watco Lacquer mixed 50% gloss, 50% satin.  If you use a spray can, the semi-gloss will be close.  Spray can Deft might work also.  This is a little harder to find.  Lowe's used to carry but I don’t think they do any more, at least in pints and quarts.  Here’s a link for a spray can.

Awesome–thanks for the detail!
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 07:45:50 AM »
That's amazing - thanks so much Robot Heart! I'll post pics once I'm finished with the case.

Pidcin

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 05:04:43 PM »
That's amazing - thanks so much Robot Heart! I'll post pics once I'm finished with the case.

Cool!

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 04:15:51 PM »

This is brilliant. So is it a similar finish for the OB6?

Pidcin

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 02:35:33 PM »
How’s the case going ? Any updates on it ?