Your Introduction to Synthesis

Re: Your Introduction to Synthesis
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2016, 04:50:56 PM »
I was thinking of candidates like these:

With regard to the Promars I was wrong. It has the colorful switches above the keyboard.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2016, 04:53:23 PM »
Oh sure, all those old preset instruments.  Some of them were designed to sit on top of an organ.  Hence, the occasional music stand.  Still, it's better than nothing. 

In the name of resourcefulness, I think that long ridge just under the keyboard would be a good area to exploit.  You could fit a long row of presets there, and save quite a bit of top panel space to be used for other parameters.  You can fairly quickly develop a technique for pressing these buttons with your thumb right along with your playing.

Of course, DSI has gotten in the habit of putting a nice strip of wood there, which looks sharp.  But it could be used for program buttons.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 05:32:26 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2016, 05:01:04 AM »
John Carpenter, Tangerine Dream, Jay Chattaway, Vangelis, Goblin, Rick Wakeman, Wendy Carlos, John Harrison and other soundtrack composers really influenced me. While I started on piano and guitar I've always been fascinated by those sounds and noises created on soundtracks for Escape From New York, Maniac, Creepshow, and The Park Is Mine. Hearing the ratcheting sequences of Tangerine Dream on Michael Mann's Theif, the insane melodies and sequencing on Rick Wakeman's score for the 80s slasher The Burning or Carpenter's acoustic piano and Moog synths warring with each other on The Fog while a step sequenced white noise generator crackles away in the background...man.. it just did it for me and it still does. I recently got into synths and purchased a Roland FA-08, Moog Sub 37 and recently a Prophet 6 to recreate those classic soundtrack sounds and create some of my own.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2016, 08:17:14 AM »
I guess it needs to be said that this thread is about each person's personal musical formation, where as the thread entitled "What Lead You to DSI Synths, and Where Did You Come From?" is concerned about equipment.  Let's try to keep both threads on track.

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2016, 10:58:59 AM »
John Carpenter, Tangerine Dream, Jay Chattaway, Vangelis, Goblin, Rick Wakeman, Wendy Carlos, John Harrison and other soundtrack composers really influenced me. While I started on piano and guitar I've always been fascinated by those sounds and noises created on soundtracks for Escape From New York, Maniac, Creepshow, and The Park Is Mine. Hearing the ratcheting sequences of Tangerine Dream on Michael Mann's Theif, the insane melodies and sequencing on Rick Wakeman's score for the 80s slasher The Burning or Carpenter's acoustic piano and Moog synths warring with each other on The Fog while a step sequenced white noise generator crackles away in the background...man.. it just did it for me and it still does. I recently got into synths and purchased a Roland FA-08, Moog Sub 37 and recently a Prophet 6 to recreate those classic soundtrack sounds and create some of my own.

It's interesting I guess that the old films you mentioned (amongst others) are probably the only access that the "younger < 20" generation has to these sort of sounds. just the mention of the soundtracks brings a shiver to my spine.

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2016, 02:11:32 AM »
Moinmoin,

I'll throw my few cents in, as the (hi)stories of other people interested me, so maybe mine does for other people.

Born in '58, I was a little bit awake when the Beatles and Stones got airplay in Germany. Radio and even TV seemed to have a lot of time and even were wishing to experiment. You could see some bands with real hits as well as some strange cats like the Monks. And every piece of music was played until its end, no fade out of "Whole lotta Love" when the interesting things start to happen!
Glorious times...

I got the chance to learn cello age 11 and took it. Unfortunately my teachers were very ambitious as players and went to bigger cities in order to make their own carreer. After three years with three teachers I gave up in order to concentrate on swimmig and modern pentathlon. There also must have been something like school, but that seemed somewhat en passant.

Being 16, I saw - again in German TV - a band playing unbelieveble stuff, the first Mahavishnu Orchestra. This changed things. Forever. I wanted exactly that. Fortunately late 70s offered the chance to have pubs and clubs, where this kind of music was played. You could find me there.
I fell in love with the Rhodes-sound, went working at the buildings during several school holidays until I could afford one. I did not have any musical preparation for playing it and unfortunately the musicians I listened to were (and are) of f***ing high musicality and virtuosity. So I switched between euphoria and frustration for a long time.
Nevertheless I managed to play in a band heavily influenced by 70s Jazz-Rock, our first gig was November 17th, 1976 and a big success in our small town.
I tried to compensate for my technical imperfection (<- caution: heavy understatement!) with practicing, practicing, and practicing, and finally reached a state I could live with. Hearing and playing this kind of music with "strange" harmonies and "odd" time signatures lead me to theory, what made me able to talk to and learn from professional musicians.
After school and what we in Germany used to call "Zivildienst" (army was a must for boys then; this was the alternative, doing social work after Your conscience was testesd by people working for the ministry of defence...) I went to study electrical engineering, but never stopped to make music. I always was interested in technical stuff, it still helps me a lot to know what e.g. resonance means not only in music, but in general.
The single aspects of synthesizing a sound from several building blocks have physical backgrounds forming musical results. This at least has always been my approach and maybe separates me from many other keyboard, even synthesizer palyers. I never was satisfied with playing the keys only or with factory sounds: "knobs" were of the same or even more importance for me. It helped to have a simple, monophonic synthesizer, in my case the Transcendent 2000, designed by Tim Orr of EMS fame. It was available as kit, so I could afford it, even built it myself and of course modified it later.

Playing Rhodes and my trusted Transcendent 2000 in a band with a very bad bass player, listening to Bands like Brand X and Herbie Hancock's Headhunters (Percy Jones and Paul Jackson are still my favourite bassists on fretless/fretted electric bass), I started an existence as a good, often gigging amateur / sometimes payed for bass player, that still lasts. Keyboards were there for theory and occasional playing, just for myself, not in public. I took double bass lessons for three years, which still helps me a lot, although I only once played it in public.

Getting older, my self-confidence (as musician as well as human being) grew and enabled me to open my ears and mind for nearly any kind of music. Although not skilled even as a listener for classical music, I tried it and do like especially Bach and Mahler (OK, both not "Wiener Klassik", but baroque resp. late romatics, but You know, what I mean).  Although playing it for 30+ years, I started electric bass lessons 3 years ago and will continue to do so. I recently started to play Capuzzi's and some of Dragonetti's concerts on electric bass (with and without frets).

My return to keyboards is described in the thread entitled "What Lead You to DSI Synths, and Where Did You Come From?". Today I am happy to play organ, piano, and synthesizer with good pros: visit http://www.final-virus.de/. Unfortunately no new stuff there, but close to come. We play more than we are online ;) Peter BTW is my bass teacher.
As stated in the other thread I am not that interested in fast keyboard playing but in sounds and athmosphere. Of course I do provide harmonic background in general and at special occasions (bass shines so much with carefully selected pads behind it), but I really like the approach of Bugge Wesseltoft's new concept of jazz: "walking onstage with nothing else but an electric groove". My solos use to be sound and rhythm more than fast lines.

My profession is still that of an engineer, I am quite successful and happy with it, but playing with pros starts drawing me to another direction. Exciting times ahead...

Martin (obbviously a lucky guy, thanks to life in general an music in special)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:24:02 AM by MartinM »

chysn

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2016, 03:32:14 AM »
Martin, Welcome! Glad to have you aboard!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2016, 11:56:41 AM »
Just a reminder, folks, that this thread exists.  I was hoping for many more entries, seeing as we're slowly approaching 700 members.

Firstly, I am a guitarist by trade.
My first hands on experience with a synth was in 1985. My Dare band mate Darren Wharton (Thin Lizzy) had an OB-8 that he was using but also in the studio were an old string machine (maybe a Logan) and a Mini Korg 700. I always wanted to play keyboards so I used to sometimes take the Logan and the Korg 700 home for the weekend. I had no idea what I was doing on that Korg at the time but loved playing about with it through an Ibanez DM1100 digital delay.
I just used to transfer what I knew on guitar and work out the chords on the Logan too.
Later on as the band got more gear like the DX7 and once we got a record deal, JX8P, JX10 etc, the OB-8 was often left gathering dust so I used to have the odd weekend with that and a DX drum machine. I loved that OB-8 although it was a little too complex for me at the time. No manual and no internet then to download one haha. Great fun though and the pad sounds were amazing. I realised at this time that I loved writing on keyboards as well as guitar as it opened new areas for me that I would never stumble across on guitar.
I left the band (Dare) after a couple of albums and joined Asia then Ultravox. Later on I also got to work with Don Airey for a year in my old band Ten. I have been so lucky to have worked with Darren Wharton, Geoff Downes, Billy Currie and Don. Great players and great sounds. :-)
About this time, I bought a Roland JV50EX just for writing. I hated that there was no way of editing anything beyond filter and amp envelope. Over the years I added a few modules (Roland MVS-1, Korg NS5R, Roland MKS 70, EMU Morpheus, Akai S3000XL, Juno 6, etc). Apart from the Juno, these synths all relied on a mouse and editor (if you could find one).
Next came a Yamaha EX5. Loved that synth but again, all programming was a nightmare with tons of menu's. An Emu E4K, E-Synth and E4XT Ultra followed.
After a JV1080 and fully loaded 2080 I bought a Roland Integra 7. I started to miss the old sounds though. I bought a DX7 to cover a few old sounds we used to use then upgraded that to SY99. The problem again was no hands on editing.
During all this time, I also blew thousands on VST and AU virtual instruments. Got stung on so many of these when companies would suddenly stop supporting them and after a few OS grades for Logic or Cubase, they would not be compatible anymore. Money down the drain.
Then, analog came back in fashion. DSI brought out the Pro 08. My mate Chris bought one. Loved it when I heard it. It had a proper hands on interface and I wanted one. Since I bought mine, I never stopped playing and programming it. Next came a Moog Minitaur, Moog Sub 37 and a Nord Electro 4 now replaced by an Electro 5.
I am still on the lookout for an OB-8. I was bidding on one the other week on eBay but there was some shill bidding going on when I looked through the bid history. When I called the guy out, he pulled the auction :-)
Like lots of people here, I don't want the headache of having to service and keep on top of an old synth but until someone brings a proper 8 voice Obie to the table, it's my only option.

I have not done an entry yet and may not for awhile, as I am new here, but just wanted to say I am a huge Lizzy fan. I saw Phil and the boys wipe the the stage with so many headliners in Memphis back in the day it' s not funny.
Really cool to see you here!

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2016, 12:38:35 PM »

I have not done an entry yet and may not for awhile, as I am new here, but just wanted to say I am a huge Lizzy fan. I saw Phil and the boys wipe the the stage with so many headliners in Memphis back in the day it' s not funny.
Really cool to see you here!

Thank you :-) look forward to seeing your posts. I actually finally bought my Oberheim OB8 and it is everything I was hoping it would be. So easy to dial in nice sounds. It's lovely.
All the best.
Vinny.

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2016, 07:18:39 AM »
Hi,

I'm one of the long time readers and I do really enjoy reading here! This forum has so much more quality of discussion and information than all the others I know. I just didn't dare to chime in yet ... but now I'll give it a go  8)

Here's my story:

I started with classical piano lessons at the age of 8. Soon I made myself familiar with different types of modern music possible on the piano and with playing from lead sheets.
I never got to see or play anything close to a synthesizer till much later, but as a child I played every entertainer keyboard that I found at places of friends or family. It was natural for me to try every single sound and master every single function these keyboards had. I guess this was the first step on my way to synthesis.
Fortunately my parents sent me to an academic high school with musical focus where I improved my piano playing and ensemble skills (big band, choir and backing many soloists on the piano).

The instruments I played where pianos, grand pianos and electric pianos (often including rompler sounds).
For approx. four years I attended church organ lessons. Then I realized it was not for me because I'm just a piano guy.
I also taught myself guitar and enjoyed it (especially distorted electric guitar ;D) as a counterpart to the piano.
Through a friend I got into recording and mixing, so after school I went to study a combination of music and audio engineering/production at a university in Berlin.

I was totally into funk music (especially raw/deep funk) so I bought a hammond clone soon. Creating the sound with the drawbars was a major step into the synthesis direction.
A few years later two friends I knew from a musical project and me started a pop band. There was no bass player so I played it with my left hand. And that's were the synthesizer comes in (finally!) - I bought a used Roland SH-201 not knowing anything about other synths. But it was cheap and it had knobs and sliders.  :)
Subtractive synthesis was very easy to understand but it took some time to get ideas and inspiration for synth sounds, because I didn't listen to much synth music before.
The sound of the SH-201 was not really enjoyable and I was really intrigued by the concept of the vocoder, so I bought a Korg R3 as my second synth. Only then I started to designing many patches (some on the front panel, some with the software editor).

Some musical projects I was part of had already finished songs with synth presets from e.g. logic. So I reprogrammed all sounds on my R3 by ear. This was a very efficient way of refining my programming skills. Also, my ears are well trained from studying which helps a lot designing synths sounds.
Soon I joined the 'gas movement' and got the DSI Tetra, Bass Station 2, Prophet08, Slim Phatty, Blofeld etc.
Meanwhile I got the feeling that my gas is (partially) cured and I'm exploring my classical piano roots again.
The pop band I mentioned earlier is now my most important activity. We have developed our very own style of music through the years which is a very lucky thing. I'll link the homepage to my profile/signature for anyone interested.

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2016, 02:10:54 AM »
Moinmoin Synthmaniac,

You wrote
backing many soloists on the piano
Interesting: I'll send you a Message (in German ;-)

Martin

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2016, 04:33:52 PM »
Just for kicks, I thought I'd post some very old recordings.  I may be making a fool out of myself, but so be it.  The first selection is the very first piece of music I ever composed, multi-tracked in a proper recording studio in Wethersfield, Connecticut, complete with timpani and gong.  The brass arpeggio part is played on an Octave CAT synthesizer, and the organ is set to my Tony Banks sound.  The second piece is one of those little ditties you make for your girlfriend on her birthday.  They always work.  ;)

Pardon the awful audio quality.  The little chipmunks kept slipping on the reels.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:15:47 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2016, 01:19:02 PM »
Sacred Synthesis,

The bass on the first one sounds really nice.  Is that the organ doing that?    The piece reminds me of old ELP.

I thought the second one was catchy.

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2016, 01:38:49 PM »
Thanks, Soundquest.  The bass for the first piece was played on the organ keyboard.  It's the sort of sound you often find on the lowest octave of a combo organ.  The synthesized bass at the end was played on the CAT, which has a fabulous raw analog tone.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:43:21 PM by Sacred Synthesis »