OB-6 issue with Keystep sequencer

OB-6 issue with Keystep sequencer
« on: January 05, 2018, 09:04:07 AM »
I have the Keystep connected to my OB-6 directly via MIDI. It works fine when playing the keys, however when I use it as a sequencer, the sounds often become either silent and muddy when I record play back. When this occurs, I can only recover the "real" sound by pressing a preset selection on my synth again. Also, sometimes the synth sound is replaced by what sounds like only an oscillator slowly rising in pitch. Thanks for any help.

Re: OB-6 issue with Keystep sequencer
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 07:23:14 AM »
That's weird.  I've used the same setup without any issue of it changing the patch.  The "muddy" you mentioned- is that just that the Keystep is sending more than 6 voices simultaneously and the OB6 (limited to 6) is cutting some out?
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 06:56:55 AM »
Op,

You should I list how you have your gear setup. If you have midi loops, not turning off local on, etc, this can cause you issues.

You may also need to filter out/turn off some CC commands....

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 10:30:52 PM »
Hello gluepet

I have the Keystep connected to my OB-6 directly via MIDI. It works fine when playing the keys, however when I use it as a sequencer, the sounds often become either silent and muddy when I record play back. When this occurs, I can only recover the "real" sound by pressing a preset selection on my synth again. Also, sometimes the synth sound is replaced by what sounds like only an oscillator slowly rising in pitch. Thanks for any help.

I have the same issue with my Keystep. Did you solve this issue (and how) ?
My Keystep is connected to my Prophet 6 Module via MIDI.

Thank you,

Regards
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 10:50:27 PM by lowan »

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 09:28:49 AM »
I have the same issue with my Keystep. Did you solve this issue (and how) ?
My Keystep is connected to my Prophet 6 Module via MIDI.

I'm sorry - I do not think I did. I don't have the OB anymore (unfortunately) - but since the Keystep is so popular, I think I would take this up directly with Sequential, as I'm sure this has been brought to their attn by now - good luck!

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 09:53:30 PM »
Thank you gluepet for your update

Hello,

Finally I resolved the issue:)

By default, the Keystep sends MIDI CC information, when either “REC” key (CC 50), or “PLAY/PAUSE” key (CC 54) or “STOP” key (CC 51) are pressed.

According to Prophet-6 user manual, Prophet-6 understands these MIDI CC as :
  • CC 50 : Filter Env Attack
  • CC 51 :  Filter Env Decay
  • CC 54 : High-pass Env Amount
This is why the sound changes as soon as one of they keys is pressed.

The solution is to set the Keystep stetting “Transport Mode” to “OFF” with Arturia Midi Control Center software. This parameter is in the Transport Settings section.

Hope it can help. :D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 10:02:43 PM by lowan »