Audio Mod working beuatifully with O/S 1.3.1

Audio Mod working beuatifully with O/S 1.3.1
« on: January 16, 2016, 09:16:42 AM »
Title says it all - pym posted up 1.3.1 a short time ago, and so far everything I've tried works wonderfully, including Audio Mod (already created a new program with it).

Unless anybody else spots anything, this is is the one  8)

Martin

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Audio Mod working beuatifully with O/S 1.3.1
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 11:13:41 AM »
Yeah... I downloaded it almost after it came up... seems to be working smoothly, and a lot of bugs I did not know about has been fixed too it seems according to the bugfix text ...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 11:39:39 AM »
Great news...I'll load mine up today  ;)

Actually I'm wondering if someone can give me a quick explanation of what exactly audio mod does as a mod source.

Thanks!
Mutiny in Jonestown, Progressive Rock Since 1987:

Bandcamp: https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 11:46:37 AM »
Great news...I'll load mine up today  ;)

Actually I'm wondering if someone can give me a quick explanation of what exactly audio mod does as a mod source.

Thanks!

Simple... it takes the final audio output as a source, and use it for modulation... but where in the signal chain it is taken, I'm not sure...

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 12:15:30 PM »
OK, so basically it's like modulating with an oscillator set to audio rate frequency - but a much more complex wave since it's the end of the audio out processing chain.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 01:19:02 PM by WytchCrypt »
Mutiny in Jonestown, Progressive Rock Since 1987:

Bandcamp: https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »
One thing I don't really understand... in the recent interview Dave said that audio input on a poly synth doesn't really make sense because of where to send the audio when you have multiple voices. Yet there's audio mod. Does that mean the audio modulation is on a per-voice basis?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 01:10:08 AM »
One thing I don't really understand... in the recent interview Dave said that audio input on a poly synth doesn't really make sense because of where to send the audio when you have multiple voices. Yet there's audio mod. Does that mean the audio modulation is on a per-voice basis?

Yes... it modulates on a per voice basis.

Personaly I don't see the greatest of uses for this source... I think DSI simply put it in there because they can. I bet that the signal is taken at the last possible digital spot in the signal chain which would be right before the digital delays, and that this signal is probably mixed digitaly with the output of the delays, before being sent to the Audio Out mod.source.

It's a little funny though, that Dave talks about polysynths and Audio Input as nonsense... he did this himself with the Poly Evolver... it routes the Audio Input into all four voices.... the new KORG Minilogue also does this. But I give him, that I don't really see the use for it  :) ... especialy if there is not a separate input for each voice... the later would allow for some use if in a multitimbral invironment, as each voice would essentialy be a stand alone monosynth with Audio Input.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 04:31:10 AM »
a lot of bugs I did not know about has been fixed too it seems according to the bugfix text ...

I was surprised at those too - it shows the company aren't just responding to user's grumbles, if none of us had spotted them ;)

Well done DSI!

Martin

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 07:14:10 AM »
a lot of bugs I did not know about has been fixed too it seems according to the bugfix text ...

I was surprised at those too - it shows the company aren't just responding to user's grumbles, if none of us had spotted them ;)

Well done DSI!

Martin

Users could very well have spotted them, and just wrote support about it... that's what DSI has been suggesting a lot of times on the old forum, because they don't frequent the forums that much...  :)

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 08:53:58 AM »
Fixed bug: Values sometimes jump when using filter cutoff pot

That's one that I bugged them about last fall. Glad to see it fixed and looking forward to some ultra-smooth sweeps!

F5D

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 11:10:10 AM »

That's one that I bugged them about last fall. Glad to see it fixed and looking forward to some ultra-smooth sweeps!
I cannot test at the moment, or any time soon, but does this fix very slow sweeps, for example if you start with closed cutoff and within 1 minute open up the filter very slowly? In the older OS versions, I often had to record several takes for some pads, and use the encoder next to the menu to reduce the amount of sudden jumps in cutoff values. I assume the pot value filtering algorithm works well only for relatively quick or "normal" sweeps, but gets confused with extremely slow sweeps.

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 10:51:34 AM »

I cannot test at the moment, or any time soon, but does this fix very slow sweeps, for example if you start with closed cutoff and within 1 minute open up the filter very slowly? In the older OS versions, I often had to record several takes for some pads, and use the encoder next to the menu to reduce the amount of sudden jumps in cutoff values. I assume the pot value filtering algorithm works well only for relatively quick or "normal" sweeps, but gets confused with extremely slow sweeps.

Yes, that was it exactly. With very slow manual sweeps the # amount would stall and then jump. Was driving me crazy so I contacted support. Took them some months, but apparently they added some slew (or something) to the pot on the software side and I'd say it's 90% fixed, as I still do occasionally get a jump, but it's mostly smooth as butter.