MIDI-interaction with Arturia BeatStep Pro is buggy

MIDI-interaction with Arturia BeatStep Pro is buggy
« on: December 26, 2017, 12:17:43 AM »
The Rev2 receivs MIDI-Notes from my BSP.

- Sometimes there are MIDI-hangs, then I have to press "SPLIT A/B" to achive a release, until the next hang comes...

- The Start/Stop of the sequencer doesn't work right (it stops sometimes suddenly), and even starts automaticly although the setting in global is "SLAVE NO S/S"...

- There is note-receiving on MIDI-channels that are not defined to receive,...

Trying sending the same MIDI-signals to another Synth (Roland System-8) - everything works fine!

Can anyone confirm the bugginess of the combination with a ext. sequencer?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 12:31:16 AM by Kai-vD »

Re: MIDI-interaction with Arturia BeatStep Pro is buggy
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 06:04:17 AM »
Rev2 16 voice serial number 587

Don’t have a BSP (used to a couple years ago) but i do have an mpc X (and a mpc live) that the rev 2 (among other midi gear)is connected to. I use CV from the the X into the REV2 and record midi notes to the X for playback into the REV2.

I dont have any issue with the REV2 keeping in line with the other gear (I use a MOTU Midi Timepiece AV USB to connect all my gear). It also behaves with MMC commands , and answers to “panic” commands as well.

I DO use the gated sequencer and conventional poly sequencer. Again the sequencer stops and starts as expected. I send all the gear Midi clock from the X.

When i had the BSP i used it with some other gear and noticed the midi clock on it would “drift around” a bit, which i saw in other gear that have tempo displays. I do recall arturia updated software to make this better but i sold it not too long after these updates.

So my response to you is have you updated the firmware in the BSP? Do you have other midi gear connected at the time?

Any “midi loops” present?
Try different cables.
Change midi channels.

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »
Thanks!

Yes, it really seams so that the MIDI-cable was defectiv and caused all the issues. I changed it and know things work right!

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 11:05:44 PM »
Didn't last long, now same issues with new MIDI-cable.

BSP has latest Firmware.

Same issue with different MIDI-channels.

Seams as  if my Rev2 is a "Monday-Model", as we say in Germany...

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 02:37:11 AM »
Hmm, the "Monday-Model" should only affect the hardware and the issues don't sound like hardware issues at the first sight. Unfortunately I have sold my BSP just this month and cannot test it. Do you have any possibility to log which telegrams are sent over MIDI? Or can you route the BSP through a PC e.g. using MIDI-OX? If it is possible to use USB: Any difference when using USB instead of MIDI?
DSI Prophet Rev2

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 07:13:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure if I'll go further, as it is so cumbersome or just let things as they are and go on without combining the BSP with the Rev2.

But thanks for all the infomation. If I want to dig deeper, I know now how to go...