Poll

I don't know which to choose (I know they both have totally diff sounds) which should be my next module for an album?

OB 6 Module
Prophet 12 Module

I Really need all of your help!! I have my rev 2 and I need another DSI synth..

Hey so
I've had my rev 2 for the past couple months and I've really gotten into it but I have a week to either get a OB 6 module or a Prophet 12 module (and after spending all this money i won't be able to buy anything of this caliber for a WHILE) every store i go to around my area doesn't know enough about analog synths to even begin to help lol but..  I know they have totally different sound spectrums you can take either of those two monster synths (I've been watching endless videos on BOTH I love the endlessness of the 12 and all of the modulation possibilities and i can get 4 OSC running but then it has its cons and the OB 6 has a sound thats a different than most of the Dave Smith products also that analog sounds beats the digital any day (imo) and its not in the "prophet" family.. but it has less sound sculpting possibilities... I want something to complement the prophet rev 2 and I'm stuck because I kind of don't want to spend another 2 grand on another prophet that has 2 more osc, and a shit ton more mod opportunities but at the same time i don't want to get the OB 6 and regret what i feel like id be missing out on if i originally was going to get that but i've fallen in love with the OB 6 sound as well so I'm SUPER TORN.... IN HALF ... LITERALLY this is also going to help "shape" the sound of my next project so all help is appreciated/ if you want to message me that works as well!

appreciate the time you reading this, anyone who does

I'd say get the OB6.

But then again, I'm a little biased because I also have a REV2-16 and the OB6 (Module) and love them both equally so far.
The OB6 doesn't offer much in terms of possibilities (compared to a P12), but it more than makes up for it in sound. Both synths go well with each other because they sound different.
Maybe the P12 might be a little too close to a REV2-16 ? (I really couldn't tell because I don't have a P12)

Anyway, I know that this probably doesn't help you at all...
If it's the case, glad to have been of disservice to you... lol !

More seriously, one thing you said stuck with me: "...I've fallen in love with the OB 6 sound..."
Again I'd say follow your heart...
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Howdy.

I’ve the rev 2 and P12, and very happy with both. But from reading your post I’d say the OB6 might be better suited...for you.

There is overlap with the Rev 2 and P12, but thd P12 is just so deep to delvve into, which I love, and great for evolving soundscapes, which I love. 

But for pure Oscillator tone the P6 and OB6 have a definite edge...IMO...but I personally would not swap my P12 for anything. Adding a P6 on the other hand wouldn’t be bad :)

Prophet 12 keyboard + OB 6 module. (Or reversed if you'd prefer the nicer ob6 keys even with less octaves.)

;D

Not what you asked but I think it would make a killer combo. The Rev2 excels at being super middle of the road in terms of features vs sound. Not that it at all sounds bad or is limited in features. I love the sound and capabilities of my Rev2.

I just feel like the OB-6 or P-6 is a step forward in terms of raw and simple sound while the P12 is a step forward in terms of sonic depth and variety. The Rev2 is a really great mix of both so in my mind if your need two DSI synths, might as well go for further extremes.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 09:28:17 AM by philroyjenkins »

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Prophet 12 - let me try to explain why...

I can only really speak for myself of course, but my favorite thing is programmability and experimentation to get to a (new) sound and create my tracks from there.

My workflow generally goes:
1) design new (lead, base, pad, etc) sound ->
2) figure out which key / chords fit and create the desired emotion I am looking for ->
3) add other sounds (previously or freshly designed, on another accompanying track) -->
4) repeat till I have a song structure and overall emotional feel I like.

I would practically always go for a synth with as much sound design functionality as possible. Currently my main workhorses are the Rev2, Evolver desktop and the Blofeld. That is why I would vote for the Prophet 12, it is also on my list of next synths to buy. You can pickup a second hand Evolver quite cheaply now. I see the Evolver for the next year or so as my "cheap" introduction to the Prophet 12.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

I have a REV2 and a Prophet 12 keyboard and together they sound great! :)
They really do compliment one another.
The UI on the Prophet 12 module is different to the synth though, so I can't speak about how much of a difference this does or doesn't make to editing it.
That said, the module is almost £1000 cheaper so I suppose something had to give and it'll still sound the same and it really sounds beautiful and has a character very different to analogue, but in all the right ways! :)
So for me the Prophet 12 would be a great choice to go with the REV2 and certainly offers a much broader sound palate than another analogue like the OB-6 would.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
I've got the REV2 as well, and I have had the P12 before, and want one again... and I'd choose the P12 over the OB6 any day... the reason is simple: flexibility, and I already have an analog synth with more voices than the OB6 will ever deliver... yes, the OB6 has a "special sound", but to me it's not enough to want it, with the flexibility the REV2 offer.... this is of course a personal opinion, but I'm really certain on this on my own part.

The Prophet 12 may seem a bit digital yes... or rather hybrid (which it is), but I would not get one to make analog type sounds with it at all, I would get it to complement the analog REV2... it can do so many weird tones that both REV2 and OB6 will never ever touch...

So it all boils down to what types of sounds you want from your second synth... if it's just more analog stuff to complement the REV2, go for the OB6, but if you want to have all other strange types of sounds at your fingertips, then there can be no question; P12 it is.... Subtractivce synthesis, FM synthesis, Wavetable synthesis and an audio rate modulation section that will make all that even crazier is what you get with the P12.... with OB6 you only get bread'n'butter analog sounds... at a cool and very nice sound of course... but only that...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

In all honesty, I must admit that the OB6 is expensive for what it does. Even if I love it.
But if one already has a REV2-16, with its modulation matrix and four LFOs, isn't getting a P12 a bit like getting more of the same ? More oscillators, more waveforms, more modulation possibilities, more controllers, same Curtis filters.
Moreover, Duggie, the O.P., wrote that he "fell in love with the OB6 sound". What more could you ask for ? lol

And, BTW, my REV2 is nice, but it cannot sound as lush as the OB6, even if you try very hard. But it can certainly make weird noises, bleeps and blops galore ! But music ? Well, that too certainly, but not quite as nicely as the OB6. I've never experienced that "instant gratification" with the REV2 that I get with the OB6 each time I play it so far...
But that's just me. I'm also guilty of having fallen in love with the Oberheim sound. That dates back to my youth, in the seventies and eighties. Yet, nothing beats my Minimoog D though. But that's another story.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
In all honesty, I must admit that the OB6 is expensive for what it does. Even if I love it.
But if one already has a REV2-16, with its modulation matrix and four LFOs, isn't getting a P12 a bit like getting more of the same ? More oscillators, more waveforms, more modulation possibilities, more controllers, same Curtis filters.
Moreover, Duggie, the O.P., wrote that he "fell in love with the OB6 sound". What more could you ask for ? lol

And, BTW, my REV2 is nice, but it cannot sound as lush as the OB6, even if you try very hard. But it can certainly make weird noises, bleeps and blops galore ! But music ? Well, that too certainly, but not quite as nicely as the OB6. I've never experienced that "instant gratification" with the REV2 that I get with the OB6 each time I play it so far...
But that's just me. I'm also guilty of having fallen in love with the Oberheim sound. That dates back to my youth, in the seventies and eighties. Yet, nothing beats my Minimoog D though. But that's another story.

Yes... it's the same... and a hell of a lot more when you look at the modulation possibilities and synthesis types... but still... the REV2 has its FX section as well that the P12 does not, so I will not say that one rule out the other... and I would not say that the OB6 is any different... more of the same, or rather... less of the same, just with an "upgraded sound"... but again, it's a very personal opinion, and opinions are bound to differ in this regard...

To me it sounds like the topic starter really want both... I can only give my own opinion though... and I would take the P12 over the OB6 because I do not find the sound to be that much better... but I also tend to be the type who want as many synthesis types as possible... in my eyes, the OB6 is a downgraded engine, with an enhanced sound compared to the REV2... in my view, the only thing I envy from the OB6 on the REV2, is the multimode filter... that's about it.

Maybe what he should have done was to get the OB instead of the REV2, and add a Prophet 12 to that...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:59:47 AM by Razmo »

...Maybe what he should have done was to get the OB instead of the REV2, and add a Prophet 12 to that...

I tend to agree with you on that. But maybe he went for the REV2 first, to still have money left for either an OB6 or a P12 after that (since their both the same price) ? After all, we're not all called Hans Zimmer, for which another $3K synth is mere pocket change...  ;)

Jason

• Bandmix
BTW, my REV2 is nice, but it cannot sound as lush as the OB6, even if you try very hard.

Have you tried running it in stereo using all four outputs? (Like Sacred Synthesis does.) I'm in that camp and think the best mate for a Rev2 is a Rev2 Module. (...Unless you never use stacks and splits.) If you never use stacks and splits, you can get the same lush result by simply copying layer A to layer B and then running both A outputs to the left side at the mixer and running the B outputs to the right side. The advantage of the Rev2 16, is that we can now use this arrangement and still play 8 notes. If you've never tried it, don't take my word for it; make 2018 the year you give this a try.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Exactly the dual layer feature is a huge advantage over the OB6... et even outperforms the OB6 in polyphony when using two layers... and yes... it makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE when you start to see the advantages of the stacked mode, both regarding stereo perspective, but also complexity in the sounds when the two layers are completely independent... even down to the FX section!

The REV2 is a really really good allround analog synthesizer made for the sound designer... the OB6 is a performance oriented synth with a strong character... they are each meant for very different types of approaches to using them... hell, I'd like to own an OB6 keyboard, but for me it will never be able to deliver it's worth in money when it comes to the difference to my REV2... it would be a very expensive addition that would give me way too little extra for the price it cost... the only reason to add an OB6 would be if you simply feel you cannot live without that particular character that only the OB6 can deliver.

Exactly the dual layer feature is a huge advantage over the OB6... et even outperforms the OB6 in polyphony when using two layers... and yes... it makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE when you start to see the advantages of the stacked mode, both regarding stereo perspective, but also complexity in the sounds when the two layers are completely independent... even down to the FX section!

The REV2 is a really really good allround analog synthesizer made for the sound designer... the OB6 is a performance oriented synth with a strong character... they are each meant for very different types of approaches to using them... hell, I'd like to own an OB6 keyboard, but for me it will never be able to deliver it's worth in money when it comes to the difference to my REV2... it would be a very expensive addition that would give me way too little extra for the price it cost... the only reason to add an OB6 would be if you simply feel you cannot live without that particular character that only the OB6 can deliver.

Très vrai. J'ai essayé le stack mode du REV2 et c'est bien entendu fantastique, oops, sorry.

(True enough. I've tried the stack mode on the REV2 and, of course it's fantastic sounding)

Heys guys so funny story as I was getting closer to my deadline which was this past Friday (2 days ago) as days went by I couldn't decide I kept getting more and more split and then the day before I had to buy my synth I somehow got tempted and interested by the Arturia Matrixbrute lol (IDK WHAT CAME OVER ME LOL), I went into the store doing demos on all 3 synths LOL it was bad I don't know how I ended up liking another one but as time went by I felt like the ultimate showdown was going to be between the Arturia and the OB 6 (partially because the store didn't have a P12 module as well but I could've ordered it if I wanted) but the Matrixbrute's 3 note paraphonic limitation killed me like literally took my interest in the synth and just destroyed it (though the 2 filters and the 3 analog oscillator capability blew me away) but as time went on I went back to the Dave smith's that I originally wanted and I ultimately chose The OB 6 module. Since I've had it I don't regret it at all, maybe one day I might get a p12 (maybe even I'l be able to get a p12 keyboard) but for now I'm super content beyond content with my choice, I thank you all for all your help with this choice... I really appreciate all of the insight and I read all of the stuff.. I'm getting a few other accessories to beef up the sound even more to my liking and pass the parameters and probably sharing a Moog with a friend of mine and I'll be locked in a room for the next number of months
thanks..

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Heys guys so funny story as I was getting closer to my deadline which was this past Friday (2 days ago) as days went by I couldn't decide I kept getting more and more split and then the day before I had to buy my synth I somehow got tempted and interested by the Arturia Matrixbrute lol (IDK WHAT CAME OVER ME LOL), I went into the store doing demos on all 3 synths LOL it was bad I don't know how I ended up liking another one but as time went by I felt like the ultimate showdown was going to be between the Arturia and the OB 6 (partially because the store didn't have a P12 module as well but I could've ordered it if I wanted) but the Matrixbrute's 3 note paraphonic limitation killed me like literally took my interest in the synth and just destroyed it (though the 2 filters and the 3 analog oscillator capability blew me away) but as time went on I went back to the Dave smith's that I originally wanted and I ultimately chose The OB 6 module. Since I've had it I don't regret it at all, maybe one day I might get a p12 (maybe even I'l be able to get a p12 keyboard) but for now I'm super content beyond content with my choice, I thank you all for all your help with this choice... I really appreciate all of the insight and I read all of the stuff.. I'm getting a few other accessories to beef up the sound even more to my liking and pass the parameters and probably sharing a Moog with a friend of mine and I'll be locked in a room for the next number of months
thanks..
Congrats! Well done you made the decision. I am looking forward to hearing the results. Very good start of 2018  :)
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Great Duggie ! I hope it fulfills all your expectations.

Happy new year 2018 to you, and all members of this fine forum.

LoboLives

What you want to avoid is redundancy. Can you mimic or get an OB-6 sound out of the REV2. Very close.

The P12 is digital and can do linear FM and has many more waveforms than the standard analog ones. You have your analog basis covered with the REV2 so add a different pallet of colors to your sound with the P12 is my suggestion.

mdts

Honestly none, taking into account their price. The OB6 would make sense if it wasn't so expensive for what it can do, plus having a REV2 means you'll get so close to its sound. If it had bigger polyphony, a 5 octave keyboard and not just a single global LFO then hell yeah. Same thing regarding Prophet 6.

I'm not particularly a fan of Prophet 12/Pro-2 sound at all but it might complement the REV2 better in terms of sound sculpting.

Do you really need another DSI synth that bad? If I were you I would look for a great mono companion for the REV2, something like Dominion 1/MatrixBrute/Subsequent37 (in this order) and keep the rest of the money, NAMM is just around the corner.

The last two replies are a good example of people not taking the time to read a whole thread before submitting a reply.
The thread starter as published a reply #13 on december 30th stating that he finally went for the OB6 Desktop, and so far doesn't regret his decision.

LoboLives

The last two replies are a good example of people not taking the time to read a whole thread before submitting a reply.
The thread starter as published a reply #13 on december 30th stating that he finally went for the OB6 Desktop, and so far doesn't regret his decision.

Actually it’s a good example of someone not saying (done) or (resolved) in the title so that it doesn’t happen.