Tempest loud turn on sound. (SOLVED)

Tempest loud turn on sound. (SOLVED)
« on: December 22, 2017, 05:58:01 AM »
When i turn on my tempest, i can hear a loud sound, like "plopp" is something wrong with my device? It does this also when the amp level is turned down.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 06:43:00 PM by cbmd »
A4, Octatrack, RYTM, P12, Tempest. Sub37. A&H Qu Pac

RobH

Re: Tempest loud turn on sound.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 06:58:44 AM »
When i turn on my tempest, i can hear a loud sound, like "plopp" is something wrong with my device? It does this also when the amp level is turned down.

Its normal, just make sure your speakers are not super loud when you turn it on, loads of kit does this when you turn it on its just the electrical connection sound shouldn't hurt anything afaik.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:12:51 AM »
same here

it's know as "bump". it is not exactly "healty" for your speakers
DNB - Detroit style - gabber
sometimes house and ambient

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 06:28:53 PM »
That's funny, I seem to remember replying to this post.  Hmm...

At any rate, the power thump is inherent to all Tempests.  DSI actually apologized for it on the old forum when the Tempest was first released, but evidently, we're no longer allowed to mention it in public, else our posts get deleted.  Anyway, yes, it can harm for your preamps, amps, and speakers, and so you should always make sure the Tempest is the first thing you turn on and the last thing you turn off.

It's good practice in general to know the signal path and gain structure of your rig, and make a habit of turning gear on and off in a responsible order: i.e. start-up should always entail turning on instruments first, the mixer second, then checking your levels before turning on power-amps, and lastly speakers... Reversing this procedure on shut-down of course.

And I have no idea why the mods took exception to me saying this previously.  Like it's a secret the Tempest starts up with a vengeance?  Hell, it's the first thing people notice, usually at the expense of their speakers if not their ears.  Just lending a little advice on how to protect your gear and your hearing, folks.

Cheers!

Re: Tempest loud turn on sound. (SOLVED)
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 05:26:44 PM »
It was like this from the beginning so we had to practice safely like a second nature thing...A simple rule of safety from me is:
Amps/Amped speakers turns on last and shutdowns first ;)