Crosspost: Thinking about trading Rev2 for Pro2

Crosspost: Thinking about trading Rev2 for Pro2
« on: December 20, 2017, 05:11:00 PM »
One of my biggest concerns is the keybed. I've really grown to appreciate the REV2 keybed wouldn't want to swap if the Pro2's would be a serious downgrade.

In general I'm aware of its para/poly handling and TBH I don't think it would have a huge effect on the way I play anyways. I think I might benefit more from its deeper synthesis/sound design possibilities than I would suffer from the poly loss.

The extent of my Poly needs come from making evolving sort of ambient and cinematic drones and the pro2 seems more than capable of these and in fact would provide me some more interesting textures to work with.

The only effects I really use a lot on the Rev2 are delay, chorus and HPF. Pro2 gives me multiple delays (one of which can be a nice chorus) and an analog HPF that doesn't waste an effect slot.

I also don't really utilize many stacked/split patches on my Rev2 so I don't feel I'll suffer much a loss in this department.

And lastly, I'd actually prefer the smaller size and less octaves of the pro-2.

Any thoughts dudes?

Shaw

Re: Crosspost: Thinking about trading Rev2 for Pro2
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 06:44:38 PM »
Any thoughts dudes?
Sound well thought out to me....
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 08:36:30 AM »
Any thoughts dudes?

Heh, simple enough. I'm probably going to go for it.

Shaw

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 08:48:10 AM »
Any thoughts dudes?

I have a Pro2 and I adore it. It is a true powerhouse of a monosynth, and a quite capable 4 voice "poly"
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 09:10:23 AM »
Any thoughts dudes?

I have a Pro2 and I adore it. It is a true powerhouse of a monosynth, and a quite capable 4 voice "poly"

Can you speak to its FM abilities? I'm not looking for dx7 digital style FM, but for traditional analog style. The Rev2 has its audiomod which is pretty great. On paper the Pro2s fm abilities should be even deeper.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 09:28:30 AM »
Any thoughts dudes?

Can you speak to its FM abilities? I'm not looking for dx7 digital style FM, but for traditional analog style. The Rev2 has its audiomod which is pretty great. On paper the Pro2s fm abilities should be even deeper.

It is, by some margin. And you've got four digital oscillators + subosc + external input + quad CV ins, so I'm sure that you can conjure up something interesting.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Shaw

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 09:54:43 AM »
It is, by some margin. And you've got four digital oscillators + subosc + external input + quad CV ins, so I'm sure that you can conjure up something interesting.
....  and I believe you can add the step sequencer, envelopes and LFOs to that party.

blewis

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 12:12:56 PM »
But the Pro-2 keybed is a downgrade from the Fatar used in the Rev-2 and P-6/OB-6. I wish there was a paid upgrade path to the Fatar. I wouldn’t hesitate to get it. Still,  It’s not the worst I’ve played though.

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 01:14:10 PM »
But the Pro-2 keybed is a downgrade from the Fatar used in the Rev-2 and P-6/OB-6. I wish there was a paid upgrade path to the Fatar. I wouldn’t hesitate to get it. Still,  It’s not the worst I’ve played though.

Yeah this one is a bummer for me since which ever keyboard I stick with will serve as the heart of my studio.

Anyone know if its as good or worse than a sub37? Sub37 felt pretty crummy compared to my rev2.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 01:16:43 PM »

Yeah this one is a bummer for me since which ever keyboard I stick with will serve as the heart of my studio.

Anyone know if its as good or worse than a sub37? Sub37 felt pretty crummy compared to my rev2.

I believe it's Chinese (FATAR clone?), but I've never been able to figure out who the manufacturer is (CME?) - same as Mopho, Prophet-12, Arturia Keylab, etc.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 02:00:36 PM »

I believe it's Chinese (FATAR clone?), but I've never been able to figure out who the manufacturer is (CME?) - same as Mopho, Prophet-12, Arturia Keylab, etc.

ah, good to know. I can try keylab local at least. The pro-2 is two hours from me, I'll be testing it first obviously but don't want to drive 2 hours if I can't get along with keybed.

God, I've never cared about a keybed before until I got cozy with the Rev2. Now everything I touch feels like garbage under my fingers XD

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 07:12:55 PM »
One of my biggest concerns is the keybed. I've really grown to appreciate the REV2 keybed wouldn't want to swap if the Pro2's would be a serious downgrade.

In general I'm aware of its para/poly handling and TBH I don't think it would have a huge effect on the way I play anyways. I think I might benefit more from its deeper synthesis/sound design possibilities than I would suffer from the poly loss.

The extent of my Poly needs come from making evolving sort of ambient and cinematic drones and the pro2 seems more than capable of these and in fact would provide me some more interesting textures to work with.

The only effects I really use a lot on the Rev2 are delay, chorus and HPF. Pro2 gives me multiple delays (one of which can be a nice chorus) and an analog HPF that doesn't waste an effect slot.

I also don't really utilize many stacked/split patches on my Rev2 so I don't feel I'll suffer much a loss in this department.

And lastly, I'd actually prefer the smaller size and less octaves of the pro-2.

Any thoughts dudes?

I bet if you ran that Rev2 through an Eventide H9 you would forget all about anything lacking from your sound.

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 10:09:38 AM »

ah, good to know. I can try keylab local at least. The pro-2 is two hours from me, I'll be testing it first obviously but don't want to drive 2 hours if I can't get along with keybed.

God, I've never cared about a keybed before until I got cozy with the Rev2. Now everything I touch feels like garbage under my fingers XD

Note that the Keylab Essential units utilize a different keybed IIRC - the Keylab 61, however, is exactly the same as that used in the Prophet-12.

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 11:06:25 AM »
I bet if you ran that Rev2 through an Eventide H9 you would forget all about anything lacking from your sound.

I hear you there but adding effects in post is definitely different than having access to deeper synthesis from the start.

I will be getting an Octatrack soon which would no doubt provide plenty of diversity in the way of altering sounds from my REV2. That aside, if I'm not totally reliant on the polyphony I'd rather have more options in the way of shaping the sound from within the unit itself since actually exploring sounds on DSI instruments is a joy.

I've used the H9 and it isn't all that fun to use to me.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 11:24:11 AM by philroyjenkins »

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 09:33:03 PM »
The Pro2 is not a downgrade from the Rev 2.  I have a Pro2 and a P'08.  They compliment each other pretty well - but neither will serve as a complete replacement of the other.  So, if you are able, don't get rid of the Rev 2.  Add the Pro2 - even if it means waiting awhile to save up the money.  Second hand Pro2's can go pretty cheap.  Someone who doesn't have a lot of programming experience buys one and finds they are overwhelmed with the complexity and cannot pull good sounds of it.  That person will usually let it go for cheap. 

Also, I am an accomplished pianist - classically trained.  The Pro2 keyboard does not offend me.  It's different from the P'08/Rev 2, but I had no problem getting used to it and getting the sounds I needed. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 09:35:51 PM by jdt9517 »
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 05:54:54 PM »
The Pro2 is not a downgrade from the Rev 2.  I have a Pro2 and a P'08.  They compliment each other pretty well - but neither will serve as a complete replacement of the other.  So, if you are able, don't get rid of the Rev 2.  Add the Pro2 - even if it means waiting awhile to save up the money.  Second hand Pro2's can go pretty cheap.  Someone who doesn't have a lot of programming experience buys one and finds they are overwhelmed with the complexity and cannot pull good sounds of it.  That person will usually let it go for cheap. 

Also, I am an accomplished pianist - classically trained.  The Pro2 keyboard does not offend me.  It's different from the P'08/Rev 2, but I had no problem getting used to it and getting the sounds I needed.

Thanks, I have decided I will buy the local Pro-2 (at a decent deal) and try them both for a week and only keep the winner. IMO however, they both still sound similar and very DSI so if I find myself needing a poly down the road, I'd probably go with some cheaper with a very different sound. Alpha Juno 2 maybe. But that wont be for some time :)

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 07:59:01 PM »
Congratulations!  Let us know which one you decide to keep. 

I find that I use the P '08 for the more "classic" poly synth sounds like strings, horns and sweeps.  OTOH, I gravitate to the Pro 2 for bass, lead, and more complex synth sounds.  I really like the Pro 2 keyboard, wheel/ribbon setup for lead parts. 
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 10:09:32 AM »
Ended up deciding to keep Rev2 and I am currently selling the Pro-2.

Pro-2 was super cool and I have no doubt I would have explored the full depths of the modulations but it just didn't sound as good as my Rev2. I knew this going into it but I didn't know how much I actually cared about this until I heard both.

Some of the biggest things that decided it for me:

-I wasn't as crazy about the extra oscillator types on the Pro-2 as I thought I'd be.
-The raw standard OSC just sound better on the Rev2.
-FM on the Pro-2 didn't sound as liquidy and organic as the audiomod on the rev2
-And the biggest thing for me was the clipping in the delays. I was really hoping to utilize the 4 delays a lot and I couldn't build up a big enough wall of sound with them without clipping them. I tried to filter them as well with no luck. I couldn't get them sounding decent at anywhere but half feedback or less.

Its an awesome synth and the choice was so close to me so don't think I'm talking down the Pro-2. I just had to make my decision on which synth was worth the $1400 spot in my studio and the Rev2 won.

One thing I'll miss from the Pro-2 was the feedback and drive circuits which could get some really cool tones.

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 05:33:46 PM »

Pro-2 was super cool and I have no doubt I would have explored the full depths of the modulations but it just didn't sound as good as my Rev2. I knew this going into it but I didn't know how much I actually cared about this until I heard both.

-I wasn't as crazy about the extra oscillator types on the Pro-2 as I thought I'd be.
-FM on the Pro-2 didn't sound as liquidy and organic as the audiomod on the rev2
-And the biggest thing for me was the clipping in the delays. I was really hoping to utilize the 4 delays a lot and I couldn't build up a big enough wall of sound with them without clipping them. I tried to filter them as well with no luck. I couldn't get them sounding decent at anywhere but half feedback or less.

Its an awesome synth and the choice was so close to me so don't think I'm talking down the Pro-2. I just had to make my decision on which synth was worth the $1400 spot in my studio and the Rev2 won.

One thing I'll miss from the Pro-2 was the feedback and drive circuits which could get some really cool tones.

Wow, ok so it was just my interface clipping but not lighting up. I have some more testing to do in this case!

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 11:35:34 AM »

Wow, ok so it was just my interface clipping but not lighting up. I have some more testing to do in this case!

Did you still come to the same conclusion?   :) :)