Thinking about trading Rev2 for Pro2, anyone have experience with both?

One of my biggest concerns is the keybed. I've really grown to appreciate the REV2 keybed wouldn't want to swap if the Pro2's would be a serious downgrade.

In general I'm aware of its para/poly handling and TBH I don't think it would have a huge effect on the way I play anyways. I think I might benefit more from its deeper synthesis/sound design possibilities than I would suffer from the poly loss.

The extent of my Poly needs come from making evolving sort of ambient and cinematic drones and the pro2 seems more than capable of these and in fact would provide me some more interesting textures to work with.

The only effects I really use a lot on the Rev2 are delay, chorus and HPF. Pro2 gives me multiple delays (one of which can be a nice chorus) and an analog HPF that doesn't waste an effect slot.

I also don't really utilize many stacked/split patches on my Rev2 so I don't feel I'll suffer much a loss in this department.

And lastly, I'd actually prefer the smaller size and less octaves of the pro-2.

Any thoughts dudes?

Re: Thinking about trading Rev2 for Pro2, anyone have experience with both?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 05:41:48 PM »
Paraphonic mode on the Pro-2 sounds quite good on its own, but even better within a mix. I think you'll find that you won't exhaust the capabilities of the Pro-2 for some time....
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 07:41:56 PM »
Paraphonic mode on the Pro-2 sounds quite good on its own, but even better within a mix. I think you'll find that you won't exhaust the capabilities of the Pro-2 for some time....

Thanks for the input. I realized something else too that I think puts me closer to the pro2 camp.

I'm not much of a player as far as the keys go. I'd rather program a drone and tweak knobs to change the sound than actually play things. having 4 osc that I could tune differently and have some of them keytracked and some of them drone sounds super exciting to me.

4dubs

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 08:01:44 PM »
I have both.  The Pro 2 keybed is a definite downgrade.  I don't think it's a night and day difference, nor would I consider the Pro 2 keybed sub-par by any means, but you'll definitely notice a difference.  It's just lighter to the touch and less substantial feeling then the REV 2 keybed. 

As far as the engines are concerned, they are significantly different.  As you are aware, the Pro 2 is a much deeper synth voice architecture-wise . . . and that's really saying something as the REV 2 is certainly no slouch in that department itself. 

Paraphonic mode on the Pro 2 is my favorite . . . produces some really unique sounds . . . just understand it's limitations and that notes don't trigger as they do on a true poly like the REV 2.

Filters on the Pro 2 are outstanding . . . tons of variety . . . great routing options.  It also adds a couple more envelopes than the REV 2 has, tuned feedback like on the Evolver series, analog distortion, and one of the best onboard sequencers you'll find on a synth.  Yes, 4 delay lines available, but no digital multi-fx like the REV 2.

Oscillators on Pro 2 are purely digital, as you're probably aware.  They're not particularly huge sounding, but personally, I don't think the REV 2's DCO's are either (also have a P6 . . . that thing has some killer oscillators!).  There are plenty of things you can do to thicken and liven up the Pro 2's OSC's . . . far more options in that regard than REV 2 . . . it just takes some effort to make them sound good.

I purchased my REV 2 16 voice specifically for live use, and at that, it excels . . . splits/layers and true polyphony were crucial for me.  The Pro 2 is a programmer's synth . . . I've had it 2 years and I'm still just scratching the surface.

DSI:  Prophet 6, Rev 2 16v, Pro 2, OB6
Other:  Moog One 8v, Model D reissue, Voyager, Sub 37, Nord Stage 2 SW73, Behringer Mono/Poly & 2600, Studiologic Sledge Black, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium desktop & STVC, Mellotron Micro, Modal Cobalt 8X, Expresive E Osmose

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 09:28:01 PM »
I have both.  The Pro 2 keybed is a definite downgrade.  I don't think it's a night and day difference, nor would I consider the Pro 2 keybed sub-par by any means, but you'll definitely notice a difference.  It's just lighter to the touch and less substantial feeling then the REV 2 keybed. 

As far as the engines are concerned, they are significantly different.  As you are aware, the Pro 2 is a much deeper synth voice architecture-wise . . . and that's really saying something as the REV 2 is certainly no slouch in that department itself. 

Paraphonic mode on the Pro 2 is my favorite . . . produces some really unique sounds . . . just understand it's limitations and that notes don't trigger as they do on a true poly like the REV 2.

Filters on the Pro 2 are outstanding . . . tons of variety . . . great routing options.  It also adds a couple more envelopes than the REV 2 has, tuned feedback like on the Evolver series, analog distortion, and one of the best onboard sequencers you'll find on a synth.  Yes, 4 delay lines available, but no digital multi-fx like the REV 2.

Oscillators on Pro 2 are purely digital, as you're probably aware.  They're not particularly huge sounding, but personally, I don't think the REV 2's DCO's are either (also have a P6 . . . that thing has some killer oscillators!).  There are plenty of things you can do to thicken and liven up the Pro 2's OSC's . . . far more options in that regard than REV 2 . . . it just takes some effort to make them sound good.

I purchased my REV 2 16 voice specifically for live use, and at that, it excels . . . splits/layers and true polyphony were crucial for me.  The Pro 2 is a programmer's synth . . . I've had it 2 years and I'm still just scratching the surface.

This sounds great. I love getting lost patching. Also nice Zappa.

Can you speak to the quality of the FM sounds? I've gotten some really nice stuff out of the Rev2's audio mod. Really organic talk box and meowy kind of stuff.

On paper the pro-2 should offer me more in this area but the proof is in the pudding. I can't find too many examples of FM type stuff on the pro-2.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 07:51:28 AM »

This sounds great. I love getting lost patching. Also nice Zappa.

Can you speak to the quality of the FM sounds? I've gotten some really nice stuff out of the Rev2's audio mod. Really organic talk box and meowy kind of stuff.

On paper the pro-2 should offer me more in this area but the proof is in the pudding. I can't find too many examples of FM type stuff on the pro-2.

Keep in mind, as well, that you have access to 8 kHz-ish audio-rate bandwidth on the CV ins. You could use an external sound source to provide additional "operators", depending on what it is you're trying to achieve.

I opted to add a Prophet-12 desktop a few months back, which frankly filled in all of the gaps for which I tried to extend the Pro-2.

I've seen a few Pro-2s kicking around for low $ on the used market, so I have been considering the idea of ganging together _two_ of these, using the audio-rate mod CVs between the two. (Of course, I'd be waiting on this until the spring, given the current state of things as regards upcoming products.)
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 01:11:03 PM »
Thanks for the opinions dudes.

For reference here is the sort of stuff I enjoy doing on my rev2.
https://clyp.it/sjnxrglh

I get the feeling that soundscapes like this are more in the pro-2's alley but then again, I'm happy with this interesting and weird sound from my Rev2.

This is definitely the kind of stuff I enjoy doing more and spend most of my synth time doing. The question here is whether to get the synth that seemingly offers more tools for constructing these kinds of sounds or stick with the box I've enjoyed pulling these sounds out of already.

That's what it comes down to for me and it is a tough call.

4dubs

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »
Sorry for delayed response to your question regarding FM on the Pro 2.  Just to clarify, the FM parameters on the Pro 2 are in the oscillator menu whereas the REV 2's audio mod function is in the filter section.  On the Pro 2, you would be modulating one oscillator's frequency with another.  At this stage, it is not linear FM as you would find on a DX7 (or recently implemented on the P12), so it's not quite as musical as what you'd find in traditional FM synths.  You can still get some great sounds out of it, but it tends to get extreme fairly quickly.  The Audio Mod knob on the REV 2 controls modulation of the filter by Oscillator 1, so it's quite a different effect.  You can still do this on the Pro 2, but it would need to be set up in the Mod Matrix . . . there's not a dedicated front panel knob for it, in other words.  While I've not compared the two instruments side by side, I would think you should be able to get pretty comparable results on the Pro 2.   

Nice REV 2 ambient sound, by the way!
Other:  Moog One 8v, Model D reissue, Voyager, Sub 37, Nord Stage 2 SW73, Behringer Mono/Poly & 2600, Studiologic Sledge Black, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium desktop & STVC, Mellotron Micro, Modal Cobalt 8X, Expresive E Osmose

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 02:55:13 PM »
Sorry for delayed response to your question regarding FM on the Pro 2.  Just to clarify, the FM parameters on the Pro 2 are in the oscillator menu whereas the REV 2's audio mod function is in the filter section.  On the Pro 2, you would be modulating one oscillator's frequency with another.  At this stage, it is not linear FM as you would find on a DX7 (or recently implemented on the P12), so it's not quite as musical as what you'd find in traditional FM synths.  You can still get some great sounds out of it, but it tends to get extreme fairly quickly.  The Audio Mod knob on the REV 2 controls modulation of the filter by Oscillator 1, so it's quite a different effect.  You can still do this on the Pro 2, but it would need to be set up in the Mod Matrix . . . there's not a dedicated front panel knob for it, in other words.  While I've not compared the two instruments side by side, I would think you should be able to get pretty comparable results on the Pro 2.   

Nice REV 2 ambient sound, by the way!

Thanks bud, yeah I'm definitely looking for the more wild kinds of "analog" FM sounds. Spaceship noises the and like. I was pretty damn proud when I stumbled upon this use of the audiomod - https://clyp.it/bsl0zxjg

Another one that was fun to make since I enjoy SFX patching https://clyp.it/jnoshjop

I get what you mean about the having to set up modulation for audiomod. That's pretty cool actually, I didn't realize all of the OSC are sources and destinations for modulations. One more area where the Pro-2 is deeper than the Rev2 despite their mod matrix being very similar.

Getting Pro-2 in a few days. I'm frickin stoked.

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 04:07:06 PM »
Thanks for the opinions dudes.

For reference here is the sort of stuff I enjoy doing on my rev2.
https://clyp.it/sjnxrglh

You'll definitely be able to program these types of sounds with a Pro 2.

As for the modulation matrix: While the Rev2 provides plenty of modulation routings, nothing currently beats the Pro 2 in terms of modulation madness in DSI's catalog. On top of that you'll get an easy to operate sequencer that you can use for up to 16 automated parameter changes beyond modulations that are controlled by LFOs and envelopes. With regard to tweaking, the Pro 2 should keep you busy for years to come.

4dubs

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 05:17:59 PM »
Really nice sound effects.  If you're getting that sort of stuff out of the REV 2, you're gonna rule the world with the Pro 2.

I bought the REV 2 for live use with a tribute band, and it's been great for the generic analog sounds I needed.  Haven't tried to get anything that complex out of it, but nice to see that it's possible.

Just realized you were the forum member who re-knobbed his REV 2, if I'm not mistaken.  Definitely post a photo when you re-knob the Pro 2.

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 08:55:44 AM »

As for the modulation matrix: While the Rev2 provides plenty of modulation routings, nothing currently beats the Pro 2 in terms of modulation madness in DSI's catalog. On top of that you'll get an easy to operate sequencer that you can use for up to 16 automated parameter changes beyond modulations that are controlled by LFOs and envelopes. With regard to tweaking, the Pro 2 should keep you busy for years to come.

Oh nice! Its Paul Dither! I've probably watched about 2 hours of your work between the Pro-2 and Rev2 demos/overviews and they helped sell me on the Rev2 initially, and now the Pro-2. Heh

FWIW, the REV2 was my first synth. I chose something that could do a whole lot so I could see what I was more into. No regrets there, I love the REV2. Pro-2 seems like it suits the kind of synth programmer I've become since actually using a synth day to day. I won't miss the polyphony much and it sounds like I'll be drooling over the sound design possibilities for many years to come.

Really nice sound effects.  If you're getting that sort of stuff out of the REV 2, you're gonna rule the world with the Pro 2.

I bought the REV 2 for live use with a tribute band, and it's been great for the generic analog sounds I needed.  Haven't tried to get anything that complex out of it, but nice to see that it's possible.

Just realized you were the forum member who re-knobbed his REV 2, if I'm not mistaken.  Definitely post a photo when you re-knob the Pro 2.

Thanks bud! The audiomod is really cool on the REV2. Also Lfos controlling the speed and depth of other Lfos. You could definitely get lost!

Yep, I'm the knob head who customized his REV2. I just went back to stock recently so I could stick em on the incoming Pro-2. I'll be sure to post some pics of the new knobs and thoughts on the Pro-2 when I get it!

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 11:29:53 AM »

Oh nice! Its Paul Dither! I've probably watched about 2 hours of your work between the Pro-2 and Rev2 demos/overviews and they helped sell me on the Rev2 initially, and now the Pro-2. Heh

FWIW, the REV2 was my first synth. I chose something that could do a whole lot so I could see what I was more into. No regrets there, I love the REV2. Pro-2 seems like it suits the kind of synth programmer I've become since actually using a synth day to day. I won't miss the polyphony much and it sounds like I'll be drooling over the sound design possibilities for many years to come.

Thank you! Glad to be of help.  ;)

jg666

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 09:53:03 AM »
If I may hijack this thread slightly.... :)

I currently own the Rev2 and love it and am not going to part with it. I have the urge to buy something again so was looking at the Pro2 as a possibility.

Is this being silly on my part having both of these synths together? Do they compliment each other or do they mostly duplicate each other?

Hope I'm making sense!
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 10:02:24 AM »

I currently own the Rev2 and love it and am not going to part with it. I have the urge to buy something again so was looking at the Pro2 as a possibility.

Is this being silly on my part having both of these synths together? Do they compliment each other or do they mostly duplicate each other?

Hope I'm making sense!

Yo, I ended up sticking with my rev2. Pro2 was great and it had a lot of stuff I really loved but the raw sound of the rev2 osc just sounded better to me. It was easier to make the kind of stuff I was going for on it.

Its a shame because I actually preferred the Pro2's filters.

They are different enough but personally I wouldn't own both. I have a pretty small allotment for gear I allow myself so every purchase/piece of desk space has to really pull its own weight. To me, the pro-2 is a bit too close to the rev2.

I had a mother 32 and it was an amazing beside my rev2. Grab a moog and support the two major U.S. synth makers.

jg666

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 10:07:40 AM »

Hope I'm making sense!

Yo, I ended up sticking with my rev2. Pro2 was great and it had a lot of stuff I really loved but the raw sound of the rev2 osc just sounded better to me. It was easier to make the kind of stuff I was going for on it.

Its a shame because I actually preferred the Pro2's filters.

They are different enough but personally I wouldn't own both. I have a pretty small allotment for gear I allow myself so every purchase/piece of desk space has to really pull its own weight. To me, the pro-2 is a bit too close to the rev2.

I had a mother 32 and it was an amazing beside my rev2. Grab a moog and support the two major U.S. synth makers.

I'm from the UK !! I do already own a Moog Sub 37 but am really struggling to get sounds that I like out of it. I know it's down to me not being good enough to tweak the sound on the Sub 37 but I just love the Dave Smith 'sound' and find it easier to get usable sounds from the Rev2 :)

I was also looking at the Novation Peak, but to my ears I preferred the sounds that the Dave Smith synths come out with. I'm not sure if that's because the demos of the Peak that I've seen are not good or if it's down to the characteristics of the Peak?

Edit - I forgot to thank you for your reply.

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 07:01:30 AM »
Looking at your suite of instruments, the Pro 2 would complete your filter palette -- Curtis (Rev 2), Moog, and now SSM and Oberheim in one instrument (Pro 2). Or you could just get an OB-6 module to play from the excellent Rev 2 keyboard. Tonally speaking, I think adding the Oberheim sound makes the best sense, but only if you connect with that sound.
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

jg666

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 07:25:12 AM »
Looking at your suite of instruments, the Pro 2 would complete your filter palette -- Curtis (Rev 2), Moog, and now SSM and Oberheim in one instrument (Pro 2). Or you could just get an OB-6 module to play from the excellent Rev 2 keyboard. Tonally speaking, I think adding the Oberheim sound makes the best sense, but only if you connect with that sound.

Excellent thanks for the reply. I need to go and play with a Pro2 but what I've heard/seen on the internet I get the feeling I'll love it!

jg666

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 12:29:44 AM »
Well I’ve gone and done it! I’ve ordered a Pro2 which should be arriving today. To say I’m excited is an understatement :) I’m 56 years old but behaving like a 10 year old at Christmas time  ;D