Note number as modulation Source

Note number as modulation Source
« on: August 21, 2018, 10:17:48 AM »
Good evening guys. I am pretty new to synthesis and I have no idea what note number can do when used as modulation source. It would be awesome if you could explain with some examples. Big thanks in advance.
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice

eXode

Re: Note number as modulation Source
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 12:13:29 PM »
On basic feat is to modulate the frequency of a LFO, so you can program sounds where the LFO plays slower when playing low notes, and faster the higher up you play.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:17:40 PM by eXode »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 02:31:39 PM »
Or another rather well used trick: route it to the Pan position (pan must be in fixed mode)... that way you can simulate that you're sitting in front of a piano for example, with the leftmost keys sounding more on the left etc...

There is one thing to notice though... the modulation would be ADDED to the current pan position... the note number source is UNIPOLAR not bipolar... so you set the modulation up like this in the ModMatrix:

Source:DC
Destination:Pan
Amount: Sets the starting point of the panning. negative values goes to the left, positive to the right. Do not expect a linear response here.

Source:NoteNum
Destination:Pan
Amount: Sets the amount of modulation going from the source to the pan parameter. This value should in almost all cases be the double of the amount set in the above... so if you set the above amount to -32, then this one should be +64... this ensure that the whole modulation source (NoteNum) will sit equally on either side of the center.

Remember, that some modulation sources are actually bipolar, and do not need the DC modulation... the Triangle and S&H of the LFO's are bipolar for example (Sawtooth, Reversed Sawtooth and Square are not!).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:41:42 PM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 02:56:51 PM »
Another use, is if you wish to emulate the decay of acoustic instruments... take stringed instruments for example, or a piano... the higher the note, the faster the volume and high harmonics decreases... a low piano note sounds a great deal longer than the highest note...

You can simulate this by using "Note Number", routing it to one or more of the envelopes decay and release parameters (there is a handy destination called "All" on both the oscillators, LFOs and Envelopes to save modulation slots, if you want the source routed to all af them) .
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 04:43:13 AM »
Great. Thank you for elaborate.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 09:23:58 AM »
It’s essentially the same thing that key amount uses to control cutoff either positively or negatively. So you could also set it up where key amount is positive and note number affects resonance negatively for more variation in timbre up and down the keybord.

Other uses:
- Route to sub Osc level so that the lower end has the sub but the upper register stays leaner
- Route to FX mix so your upper register has more reverb or delay than the lower for clearer punchier bass
- Route to osc shape for timbre variation across the keyboard

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 09:25:24 AM »
It’s essentially the same thing that key amount uses to control cutoff either positively or negatively. So you could also set it up where key amount is positive and note number affects resonance negatively for more variation in timbre up and down the keybord.

Other uses:
- Route to sub Osc level so that the lower end has the sub but the upper register stays leaner
- Route to FX mix so your upper register has more reverb or delay than the lower for clearer punchier bass
- Route to osc shape for timbre variation across the keyboard
Thank you!