Left output is louder?

Left output is louder?
« on: December 20, 2017, 09:59:38 AM »
Hi folks,

Very happy with my new Rev2!

BUT it seems that my left output is a bit louder than the right output. I remember reading about this on the forum somewhere, but can't find it and can't find a solution to the problem.
If I search www I get a result about the Prophet 08: "TROUBLESHOOTING YOUR PROPHET ’08"

-

"IF THE LEFT CHANNEL IS LOUDER THAN THE RIGHT:
Update your OS and use the BalanceTweak parameter in the Global menu to adjust the left/right balance."

Can't seem to do this on the Rev2 (or am I just semi - retarded?). Should this be part of an OS update?

I've go OS 1.1.0.1

Heeeelp me please :-)

Re: Left output is louder?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 11:06:21 AM »
This option is not (yet ;)) available.

BTW: With my Rev2 the right channel of output A is 2 dB louder than the left one and the left channel of output B is 1.5 dB louder than the right one. A balance option, should it really come some day, must be separated for both outputs.
DSI Prophet Rev2

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 12:05:56 PM »
Thanks for the answer and sorry to hear that you have the same issue!

Mine is the same amount louder on the left side in both output A and B. Seems like a calibration thing...hmmm...REALLY hope they fix this!!!

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 12:18:33 PM »
sorry to hear that you have the same issue!

No problem for me, all my synths are connected to an audio interface which provides me the necessary corrections.
DSI Prophet Rev2

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 09:00:13 PM »
same. hoping for fix, soon.

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 10:09:05 PM »
FWIW, on my REV2-16, the right output is slightly louder than the left one, on both A and B outputs (even when Mono is selected in Global menu Stereo/Mono), but for eight of the sixteen voices only.

For example, I select Mono in the Global menu, I then call the Basic Program and play the same note successively, and for eight of the notes my left and right VU Meters on my audio mixer are showing identical levels (Master Volume level on REV2 adjusted for 0dB), and for the next eight ones the right channel is showing about +1 dB. If I continue playing successive notes, it goes back to showing 0 dB for both channels for the next eight notes.

I'm running OS 1.1.0.3 and have done several calibrations with the synth fully warmed-up. No change.
BTW, there is nothing connected in the MIDI jacks at all, so no possibility of external MIDI data interfering with the panning.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 11:23:13 PM »
Alain, I see a similar behavior. The reason for having 8 notes acting the same way is most likely that it is board related. The Rev2-16 contains two 8-voice boards. Seems that the panning for any board is a bit different.
DSI Prophet Rev2

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 11:49:29 PM »
Alain, I see a similar behavior. The reason for having 8 notes acting the same way is most likely that it is board related. The Rev2-16 contains two 8-voice boards. Seems that the panning for any board is a bit different.

Yes, I also deduced that. But I think both boards should preferably be identical. Maybe in an upcoming OS update it could be corrected in the calibration routine ?
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 06:24:42 AM »
same here :-/

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 01:25:57 AM »
i have the same issue on the left Output. they are all a bit louder on the left, maybe also one voice on the right...not sure at the Moment. 8 voice rev2. os 1.1.0.3

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 05:04:59 PM »
Same thing here. The right side is 2db louder then the left. There is no combination of settings that corrects this. Kind of drives me nuts sometimes. Constantly having to adjust my input gain because depending on the patch it seems to vary.  I only use the A outputs so I can't speak about the B outputs. This is the only stereo synth I have with this problem. I'm guessing this can't be fixed in a SW update or it would have been addressed already.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 05:07:51 PM by Chimponaut »
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 07:28:56 AM »
Any concerned cats bothered to reach out to support  via their email and ask if this is a “characteristic” of the synth or if there’s an actual issue?

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 08:57:29 AM »
i send them a massage so i will tell.. or if someone is quicker..

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 08:34:00 AM »
For me, this whole thing is kind of problematic, because I am running the synth into an RME converter that can not adjust the stereo input separately (as far as I can tell from TotalMix).

So:

I also send DSI Support a message - with a link to this thread ;-)

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 02:18:55 PM »
hello guys,......very disappointig.
i was told, that it is normal up to 3db like on all their other analog products....thumps up!!
yes tha was the answer i got. exchange or give it back.
So nothinh about to fix this.
i also sended the link to the forum...

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 02:25:44 PM »
hello guys,......very disappointig.
i was told, that it is normal up to 3db like on all their other analog products....thumps up!!
yes tha was the answer i got. exchange or give it back.
So nothinh about to fix this.
i also sended the link to the forum...

Up to 3 dB ? That's a hell of a lot more than the 1 dB observed on my unit. Are you sure about that ? Who told you that, and when, if I may ask ?

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 03:21:26 PM »
more than 3db

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 03:24:42 PM »

"Mark Kono Tuesday at 15:02"

"Hi Markus-

Thanks for contacting us here again at DSI. If you'd like, you can send me a screen shot of what you are seeing. You can test this with a couple of sources such as your DAW or other meter. With all of our analog instruments, there will be some discrepancy between individual voices and between channels with up to 3dB being within specification. You are more than welcome to return or exchange the unit with your point of purchase but I'm unaware of their particular return/exchange policy so you will have to contact them.

Best regards,

Mark
Dave Smith Instruments"

Prophet Rev2 Module Now Available!  --- Mark Kono

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 07:45:08 AM »

"Mark Kono Tuesday at 15:02"

"Hi Markus-

Thanks for contacting us here again at DSI. If you'd like, you can send me a screen shot of what you are seeing. You can test this with a couple of sources such as your DAW or other meter. With all of our analog instruments, there will be some discrepancy between individual voices and between channels with up to 3dB being within specification. You are more than welcome to return or exchange the unit with your point of purchase but I'm unaware of their particular return/exchange policy so you will have to contact them.

Best regards,

Mark
Dave Smith Instruments"

Prophet Rev2 Module Now Available!  --- Mark Kono

I can sleep knowing this is normal. But there are a lot of surprises with this item... I guess it's just know how to work around them and collect that sweet nectar.

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 07:51:42 AM »
I encountered this with my Mopho X4 and solved it by adjusting the voice balances in the global parameters.