I can not assign voices (I followed the manual and video tutorial) .

Hello guys,

Using Tempest, I need help, please.

I  have problems to assign sounds to a specific voice . I am do in it exactly as the manual and the tutorial video says.
The result : the voice is not removed from the main output : the rest of the voices are assigned to that output but the one I assigned.
For example, if I want my kick out through output 3 I assign "V3" to that sound pad, result : all the sounds except the kick go out trough output 3.
Moreover, when connecting any cable in outputs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 the pads act "weird" like some times they play sounds and some times not! even if have anything assigned! I am starting to thing my Tempest is not working properly? Or am I missing something really basic?   Thanks for your feedback .

Re: I can not assign voices (I followed the manual and video tutorial) .
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 03:29:29 AM »
I suggest to check the FAQ thread first..A lot of questions answered in there..
http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,78.0.html

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 12:26:12 AM »
For example, if I want my kick out through output 3 I assign "V3" to that sound pad, result : all the sounds except the kick go out trough output 3.

Are you sure you have everything cabled up correctly? This sounds odd.

Moreover, when connecting any cable in outputs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 the pads act "weird" like some times they play sounds and some times not! even if have anything assigned! I am starting to thing my Tempest is not working properly? Or am I missing something really basic?   Thanks for your feedback .

This is expected behaviour. The OS is assigning to sounds to a voice 'on the fly', so if you have a cable in any of the voice outputs the sound will be output through that cable if the OS chooses to assign it to that voice. It will appear to be 'random' as you're at the mercy of the OS. Basically you shouldn't really have any cables plugged in other than the main outs unless you have specifically assigned a sound to the voice(s) that you've plugged a cable into. Also make sure that you have the right type of cables plugged in and watch your panning!

Some things with the voice allocation can take a bit of getting used to and it still confuses me sometimes even after years of using this thing. A couple of other confusing things...

- Don't set a pad to choke itself if you have it assigned to a voice, it will make no sound

- If you have a sound assigned to a voice it effectively removes that voice from the 'pool' of voices that can be dynamically assigned **regardless of solo or mute status**. This means if you've assigned all or most of your voices and then expect to play a polyphonic synth patch you have in the same beat, even when soloed, it won't work. In fact if you've assigned all your voices and then try and play a sound that's unassigned I'm pretty sure that won't play either. Personally I find this really annoying but, no more bugfixes so it is what it is!

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 04:56:04 AM »
I ran into this issue when I tried to assign the snare to a single voice so I could process it through gated reverb. It kept sneaking in other sounds in once in a while. Finally I got fed up with it and just layered a noise sample and Linn Drum Snare sound with a fairly fast decay and just a slight release and it got pretty damn close.