Artisan Electronic Instruments

Sacred Synthesis

Artisan Electronic Instruments
« on: January 14, 2016, 07:29:57 AM »
These synthesizers will only appeal to some, but they're worth considering.  I haven't played any of these instruments, nor can I vouch for the quality of the company.  They've hardly even made a start.  I'm only passing on the information.

http://www.artisanelectronicinstruments.com/
https://www.facebook.com/ArtisanElectronicInstruments/timeline
https://soundcloud.com/artisan_electronic_inst
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BUe1m1SCrKN5FHj93psRA/videos

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 07:41:53 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Artisan Electronic Instruments
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 06:10:41 PM »
This company is the essence of boutique.  The owner, Michael Bachman, reappears every few years with a fine new instrument or two.  This year it's the Nucleus module and the Iliad keyboard.  Hey, I could have an Iliad and an Odyssey.  That would be a Homer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiZZ4w2Ess&t=42s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rix1RRUcVug

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 10:37:00 PM »
Ouch.

Um...  Sorry (not sorry?), but, I don't think I'd let that guy wash my car.

Feature set sounds great, a lot like my awesome Pro 3. But I don't hear any good sound demos.
(And yes, I checked the Soundcloud page.)
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 06:18:22 AM »
Michael Bachman has been making synthesizers since he was fourteen.  I've had a few online conversations with him over the years and I've mentioned the poorness of his instrument demos.  He realizes the problem, but apparently hasn't the musicality himself to improve them.  Why he hasn't hired someone else to do demos, I don't know.  Maybe he's dirt poor.  But I'm willing to cut him some slack on that.  No one's perfect. 

I'm all in favor of passionate idealistic synthesizer designers who - I might add - are reminiscent of our venerable old friend, Dave Smith.  But remember, even Dave's initial demos were lacking in luster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3jSd8tb1II
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 09:25:03 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 10:36:37 AM »
Wish I had one to play with.  Sometimes these small-time companies have neat and new perspectives that the larger companies may not necessarily risk doing.  Like an Inde artist basically.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 05:43:06 PM »
I'm all in favor of passionate idealistic synthesizer designers who - I might add - are reminiscent of our venerable old friend, Dave Smith.  But remember, even Dave's initial demos were lacking in luster:

Many of the instruments I have now, and adore, only grew on me after viewing/hearing many demos.  Often with a synth, I have a "meh" initial reaction, but then several months down the road after more research and/or listening to various custom sound banks, I'm able to assess the cumlative personality of the synth... and usually that process doesn't let me down with regard to whether to buy or not.  Certain instruments have defied that process... for example I never had a meh reaction to the P10 Rev4, it was more like I just instantly knew... bucket list alert..  I get a similar feeling from the OB-X8, it seems like an inevitable buy assuming a desktop version is released.

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 04:47:56 AM »

Many of the instruments I have now, and adore, only grew on me after viewing/hearing many demos.  Often with a synth, I have a "meh" initial reaction, but then several months down the road after more research and/or listening to various custom sound banks, I'm able to assess the cumlative personality of the synth... and usually that process doesn't let me down with regard to whether to buy or not.  Certain instruments have defied that process... for example I never had a meh reaction to the P10 Rev4, it was more like I just instantly knew... bucket list alert..  I get a similar feeling from the OB-X8, it seems like an inevitable buy assuming a desktop version is released.

I'm back in Berlin at the moment where I have multiple music stores easily accessible. I've been able to wander the keyboard department of JustMusic a couple times now. It's silly - and I admit my bias - but I've been relieved that neither the OB-X8 nor the Take 5 knocked me out! Granted, we're talking only 5 minutes or so with each, through ill-fitting Justin headphones. The relief I mention is because I have neither space nor funds for more synths. And... I'm finding myself actually content with the gear I have. I'm always keen for something new and weird, or something classic and righteous, but again, I've got "enough stuff," probably. Back to the music store moments - I couldn't figure how to get the Take 5 to stop twitching the pitch of one osc, but I did very much like the sound of the synth. Not in a "I must have it!" way, though. The one that surprised me, as I've not so far really fallen for Arturia gear, was the Poly Brute. Again with the bias, but I plugged the headphones with no particular hope of happiness, but I loved what I heard.

The keyboards that STILL call to me every time are those in the Yamaha Reface series. I've had the CP for years and it's been one of ever-favs. I covet the CS and am never disappointed when I play one. A recent studio session had me playing a gorgeous 1966 Vox Continental on a friend's record and so, for the first time, I bothered to try the Reface YC. Those do tempt me and wouldn't break the bank.

I think I'm posting this because it feels a rare thing to find myself more excited by what I have than by what I wish I wanted! Not that I don't always dig my gear, but we all understand the pull towards new/next/other etc. And not to be a brat, but the Artisan stuff hasn't caught my attention at all. I'm glad so many people are making synths, but I do want something with a sound that immediately catches me.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 06:04:21 PM »

I'm finding myself actually content with the gear I have...It feels a rare thing to find myself more excited by what I have than by what I wish I wanted! Not that I don't always dig my gear, but we all understand the pull towards new/next/other etc.

Good for you, Ant.  The relentless scramble after more equipment - the latest, the best, the most capable - it really is a curse that will make and keep you miserable.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 06:10:05 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 01:18:40 AM »

I'm finding myself actually content with the gear I have...It feels a rare thing to find myself more excited by what I have than by what I wish I wanted! Not that I don't always dig my gear, but we all understand the pull towards new/next/other etc.

Good for you, Ant.  The relentless scramble after more equipment - the latest, the best, the most capable - it really is a curse that will make and keep you miserable.

Well, to be fair... I'm not someone seeking "latest and best" etc. I want gear that thrills me and brings comfort at the same time, but mostly I want gear that helps me make better-sounding/more interesting records. But there is certainly plain old gear lust in my heart on most days! Still, reaching a sort of saturation point of late has its own appeal. Synth-specifically, there are SO many new instruments being created these days, I've stopped paying too much attention. Really, I do fantasize about a recording scenario where the Prophet 5 is the only synth available to me. I could live with that - for a few weeks, anyway!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 02:09:04 PM »

chysn

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2022, 09:54:05 AM »
Hey, I could have an Iliad and an Odyssey.  That would be a Homer.

I see what you did there.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2022, 12:16:57 PM »
Hey, I could have an Iliad and an Odyssey.  That would be a Homer.

I see what you did there.

Finally!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 12:49:42 PM »
This particular instrument reminds me how much I dislike synthesizers that are designed to do nearly everything, that squeeze in every possible feature.  I much more prefer the approach of our venerable old friend, Dave Smith, who many times said that a synthesizer's personality consists, not only in what it can do, but equally in what it cannot do.  Therefore, it's an important part of the designer's craft to know when to stop adding features.  I really like that philosophy.  The usual result is an instrument with a recognizable character, and one that compliments well other instruments that can do what it cannot do. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 12:56:35 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 04:15:06 PM »
This particular instrument reminds me how much I dislike synthesizers that are designed to do nearly everything, that squeeze in every possible feature.  I much more prefer the approach of our venerable old friend, Dave Smith, who many times said that a synthesizer's personality consists, not only in what it can do, but equally in what it cannot do.  Therefore, it's an important part of the designer's craft to know when to stop adding features.  I really like that philosophy.  The usual result is an instrument with a recognizable character, and one that compliments well other instruments that can do what it cannot do.

I totally agree.  The simplicity of the Prophet10 is a big part of why I always find myself drawn to it first...  And the swiss-army knife syndrome is one reason I've never owned a workstation.  It's all fairly hypocritical on my part because I do use a DAW, software plugins, softsynths at times, etc. which is kind of a workstation in a different format, but I've never viewed the computer's role as an instrument... I consider it more a general production tool.  Dave was great at creating things with minimalist interfaces but endless sonic possibilities.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2022, 07:55:57 PM »

I totally agree.  The simplicity of the Prophet 10 is a big part of why I always find myself drawn to it first.

Isn't it amazing how expensive it is to reach simplicity in synthesizers?  If I had the means, I'd have two Prophet 10's and nothing more.  A beautiful concept and a beautiful piece of analog furniture, all in one. 

LPF83

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2022, 05:14:11 AM »

I totally agree.  The simplicity of the Prophet 10 is a big part of why I always find myself drawn to it first.

Isn't it amazing how expensive it is to reach simplicity in synthesizers?  If I had the means, I'd have two Prophet 10's and nothing more.  A beautiful concept and a beautiful piece of analog furniture, all in one.

It is definitely an expensive instrument, particularly considering it requires additional fx to get the most of it.  One of the ways I rationalize the purchases I've made is to consider all of the opportunities over the years I've had to buy synths I would now like to own but almost certaintly never will due to their price tag (Jupiter8, CS80, etc), that are now just windows of opportunity foregone that I regret.  So compared to the cost of a vintage P5 and/or the original MSRP of the P5 adjusted for inflation, the price tag seemed too good to pass up.  And now with the release of OS 2.0.4, one of its only major flaws (aftertouch and velocity sensitivity) has been resolved, with the bonus added of a Q compensation option, the value proposition of the instrument honestly feels off the charts, as it really does offer so much more than the vintage units.